Post-match: United vs. Red Bulls 4/12/2014

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by bigredfutbol, Apr 12, 2014.

1. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? "t o r r e n t s" is filtered?

2. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #52 dadman, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    1996 under Bruce Arena: I remember the chants of "¡Arena fuera!" after going 2-6 in the first eight games (2-4-2 if they allowed ties instead of having shootouts).

Not that this team is the '96 team, or that Olsen is Arena, but United itself has a history of going from bad to good. They ended the inaugural season at 16-16. I don't know if we'll finish with 16 wins this season, but we may clear 48 points in 34 games.

3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said this several times before, but I think one way to unlock EJ is to give someone else the task of playing up top and receiving balls with his back to the goal. He's not at all bad at that, but his strength is running on to a through ball. Even though I like Arnaud, I would sit him for Doyle, and let Doyle play the front-runner, with EJ and Espindola being freed more often to face the goal. On paper, the formation would look like a 4-3-2-1, with Doyle up top; EJ and Espindola withdrawn, and a midfield of Rolfe, DeLeon and Kitchen. I realize that this is a lineup which could be overrun by a strong attacking squad, but it's a lineup that should be able to produce more than one goal per game.

SoccerEsq and JRHokie repped this.
  4. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I think it's terrible for DC to draw that against a primary rival on a beautiful Saturday evening. I am not surprised, but I think things are really dire when we're calling 12k a good attendance haha Should be a sellout, no matter what results are.

Boloni86, NattyBo, greatscott and 3 others repped this.
  5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Wonder what the attendance would have been last night if you could still buy tickets for $18 like in 2007. My guess is 15k.

6. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and parking not be $20.

7. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not paying attention. I had no idea he started last week. That being said, I was obviously happy for the win, and thought I saw a team that was fighting for the ball and working hard, but still needs some work.

Undefeated in 3 games. 7 Points out of 9.

I'll take it.

Winoman repped this.
  8. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are at least three of us asking for that offensive shape now.

SoccerEsq, NASI GORENG, Funkfoot and 2 others repped this.
  9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Which part?
    That was filtered after the last major "upgrade." Scunthorpe is no longer censored though. Previously, that was censored due to a four letter word beginning with c in the name. Allegedly they were trying not to have .torrent files and material that may be pirated or illegal content on the board. I'm not a fan. It's a safe word.

10. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i always use Pineapples as a safe word :cool:

11. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #61 Bootsy Collins, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    My favorite line from a Bud Light commercial: "You're gonna need a safeword. And it shouldn't be 'more.'"

12. The Artist

The Artist Member+

Mar 22, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Boswell header to set up the goal was the reason I had some enthusiasm for bringing him back. Despite decent size, Jakovic rarely contributed on set pieces. We are going to need to score on set pieces to scrape out some wins in the future.

Still a long way to go to be a playoff team, but I have to admit Olsen has the team playing about as well as could be expected at the moment. The one obvious problem is making the most of EJ. I'm thinking that Olsen's problem isn't that he prefers grit over skill, but that he doesn't know how to best utilize his skillful players. EJ has a skillset that can be lethal or punchless. He won't score goals just because he's EJ; he needs to be put in positions to score. Yes, he's lazy at times and he probably should have one or two goals based on the few good chances he has had, but overall I'm not yet unhappy with him. He's clearly affecting the defenses and he seems to be trying to fit in with the way the team plays. But I'd rather see Ben try to design the team to fit EJ rather than motivate EJ to fit with the team.

13. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    The censor filter program was last updated in 2002, hence twerking is still readable on this board.

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's a joke how it looks at code. If there is any formatting, it can get past the censor since there is code between the characters. It's a fucking joke. On the other hand, shit became an allowable word with the last update.

greatscott repped this.
  15. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    But at least this year we are beating the crappy teams, and that is progress.

Re Willis, maybe getting regular games down in Richmond will help him get back in form.

Great atmosphere in lot 8 and inside the stadium Saturday.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not disagreeing, but if people had fun, maybe they will come back for another game. In the meantime, I kind of enjoy the elbow room and shorter beer lines. :cool:

17. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is nice being able to get directly into the metro, and catching the first train I see arrive, AFTER staying around to see Benny/players come over to the loud side, and usually having a piss before I leave for good.

18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I'd like to see much bigger crowds. Then they would open up more concession stands, Lot 8 would be really thumping, and the Lower Bowl would be filled in except for the deep corners.

19. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Chad Ashton and I agree on one thing, back post runs are awesome (and quite often rewarded).
    It amazes me that it's usually left uncared-about during corner kicks, etc. The ball goes there half of the time when it makes it past the first defender (which is about half the time total :)) ... and usually just bounces out for a throw-in or goal kick.

Perhaps Chad is not quite as useless as tits on a boar, as I had originally thought.

Nah. Lucky suggestion. I make it every game :)

Alejandro 10 and stangspritzring repped this.
  21. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alright seriously, can we get a fucking filter on "Chad Ashton"?

"Tits On a Boar"

22. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The disturbing thing here is not that Chad Ashton emphasized far post runs. Anyone who knows anything about anything knows about far post runs. The disturbing thing here is that such a reminder was apparently necessary to a group of professional players.

23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Alejandro 10 and NASI GORENG repped this.
  24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently it should be mentioned to professional players everywhere all the time, because you rarely see it, but when you do, it's usually dangerous.

I figure it must be like the simple lay-up in b'ball - ignored because you're too busy trying to come up with something that'll get on SportsCenter instead of simply scoring an easy point or two.

The last United player who made consistent back-post runs was Devon McTavish.

25. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, how many times have you seen DC United players (not named Salihi or Davies) regularly make far post runs in the past few years? They needed the reminder!

Alejandro 10 repped this.