United March on DC ***Serious Discussion and Info Only***

Discussion in 'Barra Brava' started by CHICO13, May 1, 2009.

1. TraciK

TraciK BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United

I'm a vegetarian so I don't know how to cook meat :confused:, but I'm happy to help monitor the communal table & run messages, etc.

2. dozerman

dozerman Member

D.C. United
    United States
    Dec 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Marion "Mayor for Life" Barry participating? I know that he is a council member and has been a strong supporter of a DCU stadium in DC, he is also a scum bag of a politician (even as politicians go) whose continual tax cheating, posturing and claims of now being a "moral" politician result in me viewing him as more of a stain on the stadium effort than anything else. Of course this is just my opinion :D.

3. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    he's also a legitimate hero of the Civil Rights movement

4. dozerman

dozerman Member

D.C. United
    United States
    Dec 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course that is true. My intention isn't to start an argument on this, its just that I am concerned that the mass perception of Barry, as a result of his more recent activities, may be more negative than positive for the effort.

Really the only relevant question here is who, if any, of the DC politicians are planning on participating?

5. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, has anyone invited Fenty to march along with us? :D:D

6. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i think marc fisher is standing in for him :D

7. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HELL'S KITCHEN VOLUNTEERS

Thanks very much to the following 'new' volunteers:
    • Red&Black
    • bigredfutbol
    • Greekchampion04
    • Stangspritzing [wtf does this alias mean??:D]
    • bigdavestud
    • TraciK
    • Vladsta [tho he doesn't know it yet]

HK still needs at least six more volunteers, so don't be shy, volunteer your friends like I did for Vlad above. Also, volunteers can plan on marching, just be at the head of the pack and don't be tired when you arrive.

If you're not in the HK crew don't even think about standing around in the middle of the maelstrom or I will put you to work.

Cooks should bring their favorite tongs and spatula, and everyone should wear an apron so that I can see who you are [and what you are doing - bwa-ha-ha]. Cooks might think about whether to bring a clean shirt -- our Kitchen is not casually named, and if you want to avoid dogs following the scent of cooking meat (i.e., you) a change would be appropriate.

All HK crew will hydrate starting on Friday evening so that we can switch to beer while marchers file in.

Pops, you're out for this one, right?

Connie, you avail for cleanup and loading the pod?

Dangermouse37, will you be in-country? MikeDett, you coming or just breathing hard [winking]?

Special thanks to Bootsy, Wormfood, BackEastMisFit and SeahawkDad for doing what you do. Also many thanks to our busty, bossy, blonde butchers! :D You guys available?

L8r.

GM

8. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i'm mostly security not kitchen and i'm not wearing an apron :D

9. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC
    On the off chance you've been drinking and this therefore refers to me...

If I am at the tailgate you can count on me helping out. I should know whether or not we can make it down in the next day or so.

10. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off-chance? :) If drinking is binary, I'm number 1 baybee!

GM

11. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody got a big tent that we can convert to an apron?

GM

12. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i don't have the child this game so i'm focused on drinking, smoking and telling the toronto fans to ******** off

13. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a looong story, and involved lots of beer...coupled with my inability to come up with a nickname beyond that of something remembered from an off-colour bit of drunken rambling at the time I signed on with BigSoccer. :) I keep meaning to change it, but, well, that requires "effort."

After the march, I'll wander down to the grillin' area and report for duty...I may be able to drag my wife along to help out as well. :)

14. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be ready to start setup, what time?/ 2:00pm??

~worm~

15. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    I just got back from Peru. I will DEFINITELY be there. Hopefully cooking something I can eat and not just porkdogs.

As for who shows, the more people the better IMHO. Part of our argument is that the team brings people into the city/region to enjoy the game and spend their dinero. I think we're up against the wall here, and I'll take help wherever we can get it. As someone said, its not like we're playing the poor pink cows.

And as for the march, what are we doing for publicity? Have we got email chains going to everyone on earth? Any radio? Anybody else in the media, preferably television? I'm happy to do sound bites...:D

16. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC
    I second DangerMouse.

What's going on in terms of publicity? I know several of us working in communications stand ready to help, but need to know what's been done already.

17. Frog Boy

Frog Boy Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    And I disagree with your opinion. Having Marion Barry at the march would help with publicity and would drive the mediathere. Regardless of what you think of the man he has been a staunch supporter of the stadium and people listen to him.

We need a news hook and at least one personality.

18. ShannonS

ShannonS New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Not here
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is a bit late, but has anyone asked Xavier if we could put some of the flyers on the front table where we keep the menus at Molly's? That way people in the neighborhood can pick them up and hopefully get informed and participate! And I think he'd be up for it since he does benefit financially from the team.

19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Only his non-payment of DC taxes is tax cheating. His non-payment of federal taxes is a legitimate response to non-representation.

20. Zagloba

Zagloba Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Baltimore
    Representing the old, out-of-shape farts: How long is this march anyway?

21. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9 blocks according to Goff on WPL

22. Flutterjax

Flutterjax New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Springfield
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gina- I can use my teacher handwriting and help you out! Just make sure I do that before the beer..

23. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm planning to come to the tailgate/game and bring a friend for my first Barra tailgate. Hopefully, I'll be marching if my ankles cooperate. I'm thinking of bringing a bottle of rum or vodka. I usually take Metro to games. It looks like I can bring alcohol on the train, as long as I don't drink it there. As for publicity, my text got 5 seconds on Fox Football Fone In. Anyway, see everyone in Lot 8(or Lincoln Park.)

24. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    i love how this thread had "serious discussion and info only" in the title

bravo

25. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown