United March on DC ***Serious Discussion and Info Only***

Discussion in 'Barra Brava' started by CHICO13, May 1, 2009.

1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually decent on a grill; several Presidential administrations ago I even worked as a line cook. I'd be more than happy to volunteer as one of the "turners". As soon as we're done with the march and the rally, I'll apron up and report for duty.

2. BackEastMisfit

BackEastMisfit New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    W Loudoun; RFK 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why you're the 'MASTER,' you have it down to a science!:D

3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's a good point -- if we're cooking stuff that cooks more quickly, we'll need more cooks to stay on top of it. That's an excellent point. And, of course, it'd be nice if there were volunteers willing to spell people.

In recent weeks, we haven't had that hard a time drafting people to come and help with cooking stuff, but I'd rather not rely on that for this one. The biggest problem in recent weeks has been getting folks to help *clean* (although some people have definitely helped). That's been dodgier.

As an aside, do we still have the stack of cloth dishtowels in the pod? If so, I'd like to recommend that whoever's there earliest and handles setup be sure to put one of those (preferably damp) underneath each of the cutting boards. The boards are not grippy, and slip while cutting; a damp towel underneath helps a lot.

4. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    lol. yeah well we are a collection of opinionated misfits

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of cleaning--are there plenty of trashbags? I didn't help as much this week as I did for the previous game, but I did try and pick up a little bit...it's just that there was nowhere to put the trash. When you find yourself picking trash up off a dirty table and then...dropping it on the ground, basically, it sort of kills the cleaning vibe.

6. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were, in the Pod.

7. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i would suggest handing a few garbage bags around at the march, wouldn't want to leave a trail of litter (especially water bottles) behind

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I like to help and everything but that's like 15 seconds of walking EACH WAY.

:eek:

9. Stadium-Armory

Sep 6, 2006
    H Street NE
    Club:
    DC United
    Has there been any discussion of writing neighborhood names (Columbia Heights, Eastern Market, Foggy Bottom, etc.) on DC flags? This has been discussed before, and I think now would be a good time to unveil some neighborhood pride.

I bought my DC flag from the vendor in Union Station; I assume others could track them down by Saturday.

10. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    you might want to check if it is permissible under the district's flag code (such writing would seem to be contrary to the US flag code United States Code Title 4 Chapter 1 — The Flag

11. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am volunteering myself for HK duty prefereabbly after the march. but if you need me during the march that is cool.

also as for hotdogs and hamburgers i can get us into restaurant depot with connections from my work and that should lower our costs. let me know if you guys want to go to restaurant depot.

12. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an interesting thought, and one I never considered in previous discussions of this idea.

The closest I can come in the DC code is this:
    That doesn't quite say that the rules for care/respect are the same; but I can't find anything closer.

13. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i can't imagine that anyone would really enforce it (clearly the US code isn't), but since we're trying to be nice...

14. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a funding pot into which we can toss some additional cash to support this venture? While I certainly wouldn't mind volunteering in the kitchen, it'd be my first exposure to a BB tailgate, and I think I'd be more an obstruction than an asset...If there's a list of what donations are needed, I'd be glad to supply what I can, right down to bottles of beer and girly drinks.

15. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the past discussions were inspired by seeing similar things done in international matches in other countries -- at England matches, for instance, you see St. George's Cross flags with the place someone's from along the horizontal bar. I always thought that sort of thing looked kinda cool -- "we're all from different places but we all support ________" -- and thought it'd be neat to do here. The design of the D.C. flag makes it convenient, as well.

16. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    i never planned on leaving the tailgate once i got there.

need to help cook/cut/whatever and rearrange the pod - we cant get to the stuff we need when we need it.

elvis/nelsen - whoever - needs to take their grill home after this next game OR they need to talk oscar into getting a bigger pod by the next game. nothing personal. i like you guys but the current space isnt working out.

due to a lack of space the new barra grills are becoming a tad bit bent in places where they dont need to be bending, ever.

17. bigdavestud

bigdavestud Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Jodi and I will be up this weekend. As always, I will bring my grill. Considering the potential scale of things, though, I will do whatever you need in Hell's Kitchen. I can also put up my table for more communal use, if that is needed.

18. Malatestiano

Malatestiano Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Rimini Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think it is a great idea. If not the DC flag proper, we could discuss using a different version of it (i.e the one used for the latest Barra Tshirts from last year) so that no codes are even close to be violated and you express "neighborood" support not only for the Team but also for the Group.

It would be great also for Baltimore and Richmond contingents to bring a Barra/DC Banner...

19. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    technically your not allowed to write on the st. george flag either.....
    so I say we write on it with city names, i love that idea, never thought of it.

20. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would look cool as well and send a clear message that a "DC" stadium is just not for the immediate DC Metro area, especially if we add the flags from other "non-locals" like the Canadian flag, state flags, and even other national flags from international visitors.

DC is like the United Nations of soccer!! :D

21. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    i would not add past dc, va, MD.......who cares about other states, we are trying to push these 3, we dont want to give them other ideas!

22. toomanywords

toomanywords Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    That would clearly hurt the cause; what we should actually do is organize an Empire Supporters Club protest AGAINST a stadium for United. The deal would be signed within a week.

23. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap. Does this mean that we can't write 'F^ck Fenty' on a DC flag for the march? :D

Back on the HK subject, I'll also bring my table.

24. lemonstarbursts

Dec 7, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    yep. love the idea. I have a DC flag. My handwriting is horrible though :p

25. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think it is important to stress that DC United is just not about the DC area. There are fans and supporters all over the world. Someone from Poland just posted his DCU website in the main DCU forum and we know we have people in other countries as well.

One of the big industries in this area is tourism and DCU plays the majority of its games during the prime tourist season. While the core of the DC fans are in the DC metro area, visiting fans could potentially contribute a decent chunk of change to the DCU from ticket sales, concessions, merchandising and shopping if the stadium is next to a multi-use area with shops and hotels.

I don't think this should be a huge focus of the march as the core fan base will still be locals, but I think it is a good idea to make the point that DCU is internationally recognized and not some piddly local team.