Post-match: United @ Crew 4?19/14

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by bigredfutbol, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I'm taking off my Bias Hat and have to say that the non DOGSO was worse than the Franklin slide. I can't remember the last time I saw a penalty given on a play like Franklin's. I've seen many a red for Johnson's.

Not saying you're wrong, but in terms of how the game is called, DC got the worse end.

shawn12011 repped this.
  2. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd have to rewatch it, but his feet didn't seem like they were really far off the ground at all, and by the time he encountered the DC player, they appeared to me to be on the ground. A red card was warranted, but it wasn't a vicious tackle. Then again, neither was Franklin's.

3. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, it's not just me then.

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Good to know. Thanks!

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Not vicious, but all studs were exposed. It wasn't high on the shin, but it certainly warranted a red.

Let's put it this way, when the player committing the foul simply jogs away with little protest, that's a good omission that they were the guilty party.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The ref didn't trust himself on that call and the game went to hell really quick. While he was waiting for the AR to bail him out, there should have been a yellow to at least one other Columbus player when the ball was kicked away from Espindola and there was nearly a skirmish in the goal. I think the ref was ball-watching when Sean Franklin went through the Columbus player in the box.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Yeah...outside of someone literally tackling someone in alone on goal or a field player picking up a ball with his hands as it's going across the line, that call was as easy as it gets.

Maybe it's more of a damning indication of EJ than the referee. I can see the conversation being something like:

Center: Well, he was in alone on goal
    AR: Yeah, but he hasn't scored a goal all year
    Center: Good point, I guess it wasn't "obvious" he was going to score?
    AR: Can't think of any situation where he would've
    Center: So a yellow, then
    AR: 10-4

8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those officials would be flat out wrong. Anor's red was 100% clear straight red. Kitchen is very very lucky he slowed down into the tackle. Otherwise he could have been hurt a lot more.
    Disappointed to give up the goal after Espindola killed the attack and started theirs in the same move.
    But if you had asked me going in if I would have taken a point AT the conference leaders who had absolutely destroyed us in the first game, I'd have taken it. If we get to be a better team and want to make the playoffs, we'll need to take all three from games like this regularly. Still... baby steps.
    And how soon is Silva coming back. We can use him.

DangSkippy and Winoman repped this.
  9. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva should be back next week.

10. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Far enough to cause major damage.

Only because Kitchen slowed down a lot when he saw it coming.

Winoman and NASI GORENG repped this.
  11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That could help quite a bit. The team looked actually aggressive and attacking in the few minutes of the Chicago game before he got hurt. We haven't seen that much since despite pulling a result in all our games.

12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    It's hard to rag the goal scorer for not scoring more ... but if Espy buries either one of the two set ups, it's "Goodbye Columbus." I think Jimenez's shot was Columbus's first shot on goal all night. I thought the defense was very good and Higuain really had little influence on the match. Losing Rolfe was a blow because while Neal is competent, he isn't the offensive threat Rolfe is. I also liked Doyle's activity when he replaced Johnson. I'm pissed at the draw, but DCU getting a point on the road is a baby step and give credit to Jimenez for a very nice goal.

DCUSA and Winoman repped this.
  13. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think that was intentional time wasting, and they meant to pull DeLeon all along; and I'm glad DeLeon came off, at any rate. He was so tired he could barely stand by that point.

revelation, TheJoeGreene and sitruc repped this.
  14. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Look at it again.

TheJoeGreene and NASI GORENG repped this.
  15. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't, much. EJ didn't play that well and didn't threaten; but he occupied defenders' attention and dragged them around, which was of some use. Doyle, while he was out there, didn't do anything. He never threatened, never worked his way into dangerous positions, never occupied much of the defense's attention or mindspace. This was a very weak game of his, for me.

OTOH, to say something positive, this might have been Christian's best game since he came to DCU.

bigredfutbol, roadkit, mosca and 3 others repped this.
  16. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Agreed on all points. Though he missed a few at the beginning, EJ's normal dominance on 50/50s was something DC lacked when he came off.

17. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Agreed on the poor defending, although I think Boswell was the culprit. Franklin was caught waaaaaay up field after the botched counter.

18. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    May have been. I wasn't sure about the player but the positioning was poor.

19. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Truth is that Philly goal was basically created by that Trapp pass. We're a little eager to assign blame to the back line ... I agree they could of done better ... but really Trapp needs to be closed down so he doesn't have that time and space to quarterback.

Winoman and NASI GORENG repped this.
  20. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit, Philly scored on us too?!

revelation, pr0ner, bigredfutbol and 5 others repped this.
  21. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Ehh...I mean, the Crew announcers orgasmed over the pass (mainly because the color guy was just pimping him as the player of the game, I think) but 1 v. 1 on the wing like that should be dealt with much better at the professional level.

Sure it was a good pass but that really shouldn't have evolved into a goal so quickly.

22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Oh yeah ... I'm drunk and watching Philly game on DVR. FML

Untroubled by Reason and Winoman repped this.
  23. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look closely, the stick figure has EJ's face, and the caption references today's date.

From which we can clearly deduce that the MLS refereeing pool is a cabal of ill-intentioned fortune tellers who have performed fractal analysis on the outcomes of all possible refereeing decisions and who are trying to start World War III.

You know I'm right, but you won't really believe me until it's too late.

24. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, at least we got a point in C'bus, as far as I can remember it hadn't happened since 4th July 2009...

25. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think the next 3 games will tell us more of who we are and what we can do. Players-wise I think this is a decent to pretty good quality team, but I remain of the opinion that - with a different coach we could improve a lot...

JRHokie, Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.