Union Youth Development Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by derek750, Jul 23, 2010.

1. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they're confined so much as they're barred from specific areas, I think it's 75 miles from an MLS stadium. I could be wrong, though.

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoccerPrime repped this.
  3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting interview with a Youth Sports Developer on Forbes. Not directly related to Soccer, but interesting in this conversation.

5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was basing that on an article sidebar which spoke directly about scouting territories.

6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably seems like this should go under the "other teams" thread, since it's RBNY centric, but similar to the LA Galaxy/LA Galaxy II, our friends in North Jersey will be fielding a USL Pro team beginning in 2015.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/03/bulls-planning-start.html

How does this impact the Union directly?
    Then there's this tidbit:
    Perhaps the new fields/facilities at PPL Park, when they are finished, could also be the Union's USL Pro team's field, as well as for the "first" team's USOC games.

And, if this were to happen, what would that mean for the future of the City Islanders?

7. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're reading too much into these comments. MLS doesn't want to force everyone to start a new USL team; they just want everyone to get their reserve players into the USL through one of the two mechanisms available (creating a new team OR affiliating with an existing team).

In other words, at the end of 2015, MLS won't be telling Philly to dump Harrisburg; they'll be telling teams like Chicago and Dallas that they need to get out of the Reserve League and into the USL.

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps. With Roxburgh's quotes coming right after the author's statements about RBNY and LAG having USL Pro teams, it sure doesn't come off as the lower division loan thing would be a preferred thing anymore.

I mean, how else can you interpret this statement?

9. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever ends up happening with the union's USL plans long term, I can't imagine it impacting Harrisburg too much. They existed before the Union and they own most of their players as it is.

Probably more Union-HCI USOC matchups would be the biggest difference if the Union did their own USL team

riot71 repped this.
  10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some teams like Houston have come out and said they have no intention of starting a USL Pro team. So we already know some will continue to affiliate, others will create their own.

I want to know how MLS regulates this. LA can now sign Messi to a USL contract, loan him to Galaxy and not even take a DP hit.

11. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like the league wouldn't allow that to happen anyway with some creative rule making.

12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not intending to and - according to that SBI article - being pushed by the league are two different things.

Funny that the same writer (Franco Panizo) posts on the league site, with the MLS-version having some commentary removed. No mention of the league's "push to have its clubs establish USL Pro teams".

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-usl-pro-side-2015-we-see-it-big-big-advantag

13. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, LA can't.

Can LA sign players to their USL team on whatever terms they see fit? Most likely. Those contracts are between the player and LAGII. If LA wants to offer someone $10 million a year to play in the third division, my guess is they can do that--although I haven't seen the paperwork, so I don't know for sure.

Can LA then loan that player to its MLS team? No, it can't. To play for the Galaxy, the player needs an MLS contract, whether it's a sale or a loan. If the player is loaned to MLS (not to LA), MLS negotiates and approves the loan agreement. LA can't cut MLS (and the MLSPU) out of the picture.

UnionBulldog, jaykoz3 and mattylip repped this.
  14. soccershins

soccershins Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Found a little preview about a big match up for the Philadelphia Union Academy team this weekend
    Link: Dev. Academy Preview

15. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The U18's kind of stink; they could not even beat Continental FC...

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Left back...we hardly knew ya.

18. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else get the feeling these HGs aren't going to pan out?

EmeraldDawn, Tyr and Handsome Pete repped this.
  19. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like at this point we should start seeing something from Hernandez. This is what, year three for him? (I might be wrong on that...)

20. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #595 Ascalz, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    I've been saying that this year that Pfeffer should be getting playing time, Hernandez also shouldn't be far behind. If neither player is where you think they should be, and they probably will never get there, cut them or sell them, end of story.

If the HGs aren't good enough, that's sports. Players get cut all the time from teams around the world and the Union are no different. While I want Pfeffer, Hernandez and McLaughlin to work out, the reality that all three will is slim at best.

TonyClarkDOOP and Handsome Pete repped this.
  21. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #596 Tyr, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    How long until Hernandez gets a green card? That might factor in to the decision.

I remember reading last year that Hernandez is further along than Jimmy who is a year older.

EDIT: Paging @D-Wall , who is next in line for a HG contract?

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Matt Kassell could share a story or two.

23. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't help their development that Hack is far more hesitant to play them than Nowak was. For someone who is highly touted as being great at youth development, I really critical of how Hack brings along his young players.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its hit and miss. Just today FC Dallas released their 532nd HG player of the 545 that they have already signed to HG contracts. Win some, lose some.

25. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My money is on Madison after this years NCAA season. I don't think he will go 4 years. I don't think we will sign Steffen as he wants to go to Europe (according to rumors). For those that don't know about Darius, he has some serious speed. I for one would like to see him developed with the team and not in college.

I am not sure about who is after that. Kerith is doing a good job writing about the team, and he has been watching them. I wonder if the Reserve Game is open to the public this weekend. I saw that Chris Gomez was called up. He is on the outskirts of the YNT, and committed to Syracuse.