Union Off-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2013/14

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Handsome Pete repped this.
  2. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I swear this team gets into more Twitter trouble through their family/friends/SO's than any other I've ever heard of. You'd think after 100+ years of professional sports in this country people would realize you need to have thicker skin.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder, after Vancouver is eliminated from playoff contention, and when they over haul that team for 2014, what would they want for Camilo?

4. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #129 LimeTree, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    Nobody likes a tease.

Amscray repped this.
  5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #130 Dills, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    The same guy pundits are arguing could be in the running for league MVP?

Just making sure we're discussing the same Camilo here.

Seeing as his dad, both his sisters, and his GF are on twitter, it's time to do some hunting unless @DOOPist can provide links to him claims.

amusiccale, Handsome Pete and BuddhaWake repped this.
  6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I would disagree however back on topic, he is a great player and I am sure Philly has some resources that Whitecaps might want. How about Allocations? ;)

7. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd pay him at least as much as Le Toux is getting. Considering all the space that's opening up from Soumare and Adu, we should have the room to give him, Williams, and Okugo raises.

Honestly, it's not as though Jack is playing poorly. He's finding the right spots, but he is overthinking things and it shows in his finishing. Compare that to a Mwanga who hid throughout the game rather than trying to turn his career around. We all complain about the midfield here, so it seems logical to extend that to Jack. You have to think if you have a true #10 feeding him the ball rather than Keon or Casey, Jack would turn things around.

etsjay, INTRNTNL and Amscray repped this.
  8. Philanova

Philanova Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree with @Dills and @Tyr on McInerney. It's counterproductive to offload young, talented players out of frustration with a middling season (which most of us are shocked even occurred, given preseason expectations). He's still finding space, and still creating chances, but a combination of confidence issues, poor MF play, and some near misses (whether narrowly off-target or outstandingly saved by opposing GKs) have kept Jack off the scoresheet. He's a player to build around, not to discard because of a slump.

CJ Sapong is a beast of a player. Fast, strong, and a natural #9. I'd love to have him on the Union. But the point being is that young players like Sapong and McInerney are gonna have ups and downs in their young careers. After scoring 9 goals last year, he's only notched 4 in 2013, and spent a portion of this season on loan in Orlando. Despite getting one more MLS appearance than McInerney, he's tallied less than half the goals, on a much more talented team. I wouldn't be too down on the 24-year old Sapong, and I certainly wouldn't be down on 21-year old McInerney. Players like Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie, Mario Balotelli, David Villa, etc... they - GASP - also have slumps. At age 21, Falcao had a 16-game stretch where he only scored one goal, and three on the entire season. This is where I insert the disclaimer that Jack Mac is not RvP or Radamel Falcao. Just preaching patience, and that the best players, not only in the MLS, but in international futbol, take time and patience in developing, and they all go through slumps.

Personally, I think this team needs to retain a lot of its core, add one or two new players as transfers, and be smart with their high draft pick(s). If it were up to me, you keep the following (the * indicates as likely starters/top preferences - this also serves as a power ranking of sorts):

Okugo*
    Jack Mac*
    Williams*
    Zac MacMath*
    Jeff Parke*
    Gaddis*
    Connor Casey
    LeToux
    Carroll
    Hoppenot
    Cruz
    Fabinho
    Marfan

Others could get cut, be transferred, or could be retained given the right salary. This doesn't include young players who are in the academy/on loan/etc.

In terms of additions, somebody mentioned Steve Zakuani a page or two ago, and I think he'd be a phenomenal add. Seattle has a surplus of talent (and salaries), and Zakuani's found himself on the bench a ton. He'd add some speed and creativity as a natural winger, and is still young enough to rely on for the long-ish haul. A younger, DM would be valuable, too, as Carroll can only play so much longer. That Chivas pick would look awfully good to snag Steve Neumann, and whether he slots in as a number 10, or as a strike partner with Mac, it's a smart pick.

The Union have other draft picks and young prospects that could come into play for depth and development; but I think you're taking some positive steps forward with something along these lines. Consistency is very important. You don't need to shake things up at every bump in the road.

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see midfielders whose first instinct is not to push the ball wide and send in a cross. Creativity and passing skill are needed.

But, that's also a tactical problem with this manager.

Tyr repped this.
  11. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are too quick to pass back and to slow down play. We never seem to take advantage of a fast break.

EmeraldDawn repped this.
  12. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your list makes a lot of sense and with this at the core, we would still have quite a bit of salary cap room to play with next season. I'm very curious to see what the offseason will look like for this team - if they can keep their talent in Philly and add a few pieces - but I want to see this group currently find a way into the playoffs and fight to stay alive on the bubble. That would give me a lot more confidence in their hopes for next season to be a contender.

13. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I love Gaddis, he does this waaaaaay too much. I see him pass to Parke or Okugo far more than to a midfielder.

It's almost like they've been... told... to play that way.

Or that the team has slowly started to realize that the midfield sucks.

Madness.

14. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always figured that if he was on his natural side, he'd have the confidence to make more long, marauding runs. He's good at taking a player 1 v 1 on the attack.

derek750 repped this.
  15. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Philanova

Philanova Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ha, well I certainly didn't intend for it to sound like I thought he was finished. I've enjoyed Carroll's steady play this season as a holding MF. Even without speed being as much as a liability for a CDM, though, I'd have to imagine you're going to want a young player (Gilberto being a fine candidate - reminder courtesy of @Dills) to groom and ultimately spell Brian as he competes in his 11th, 12th, 13th (?) seasons in the league. I was strongly of the mindset early on that Okugo was that player, but his play at CB would make it difficult to shift him after such a strong season.

-------

On another topic, I was just idly wondering over the past couple days who's going to be the next high profile star to make his way to the MLS. Names like Ronaldinho, Lampard, Kaka, Klose, etc. have been thrown around for some time, and even if it's not them, I wonder who it might be.

In that vein, I also wonder whether Philadelphia will, at some point, be able to draw one of these players. I know the warm weather of LA and Miami will draw some, and the glamour of the NY teams will lure others; but I have to think that Philly will get one, sooner or later. The food scene's great, it's a large metropolitan area with lots of attractions, relatively easily accessible by plane, train, and automobile, and within reasonable traveling distance of places like NYC, DC, Boston, etc.

I LOVE PHILLY, WHY DOESN'T KAKA?!

20. ScottP from DE

Jun 22, 2012
    Dover, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the personnel treatment/drama involving Adu, Soumare, and Kleberson.......... not to mention LeToux & Califf. I think it's gotten a lot harder to draw a big name in the near future.

21. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/sideline/n...referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

If philly wants to be viewed as anything more then a mid table team then they push all in to sign him. He would become the best player on the team and provide vital service to the rest of our midfield and forwards.

A move like that shows the team is serious, probably gets more season tickets sold and really really really addresses the most glaring need the team has.

EmeraldDawn repped this.
  22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won't sign anyone with a "big name" because Robert Pires told them all that Philly isn't a beautiful city.

Actually, we won't sign anyone big until the team builds a proper training facility and our ownership is less, shall we say, frugal.

I had recently asked @MLSTransfers whether the Union's claim to pursue a DP in the offseason was truth or booshizz. The response - taken with mounds of salt - was that there is truth, but it won't be a name anyone recognizes.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  23. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xabi Alonso would be an absolute coup for the team. Deadly service. Experience at all levels. A true asset to any team.

Which is why of course we won't sign him. More than likely he'll be pushed in to the Red Bulls or possibly even New York City FC.

24. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    werent we sold that line of goods about another "cant miss" phenom?

25. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    My sarcasm meter is broken today, are you referring to Adu, or Kleberson? And I would argue that Xabi is better then both of them by a wide margin at this point.