Union Off-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2013/14

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's able... I thought he was hurt in training?

2. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it time to unload McInerney? He'll have a huge salary next year and he isn't bringing much to the table if he isn't scoring. No assists this year in 2096 minutes. Hack probably owes him his job based on his performance earlier in the season, but he can't buy himself a goal at this point. Might be time to trade him while he still has value. Bring back a real Philly guy like Bobby Convey, perhaps?

3. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to bring in any real midfielder.

4. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    A slump is a perfect reason to not give him a huge contract, and hopefully he'll start scoring again which would bring his value back up.

No reason to unload him now unless he wants a HUGE contract.

5. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could definitely make the case to move him. But he would need to be replaced in some capacity. His exit would leave things a little thin up front.

But @drewuke is right. His slump might be a good way to keep him and not pay him. Not pay him as well that is.

6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what do you expect to get in return for a guy who's on a 15 (?) game scoreless streak? How can that be seen as valuable to anyone? I chalk it up to the midfield being shite, lack of quality service, and Jack dropping deep(er) to receive the ball and do something with it. ICYMI, that's not what he's best at ...
    Pass.

Doop and TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  7. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he never scores again with any regularity, like Mwanga, in which case moving him sooner rather than later is the correct decision.

I'm still a little surprised the Union hasn't made an effort (that we know about) for Convey. He would seem to fit well into the FO's narrative, although maybe less so into Hack's midfield black hole system.

8. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what if the streak continues into next year? Or if the FO moves forward with the same black hole of a midfield because it got them to the playoffs? I think they should entertain any offers because his value could realistically drop even more.

LuckyStriker, BuddhaWake and UnionDues repped this.
  9. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I forgot Danny Mwanga existed. I think he did too. Where is that guy?

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, what if ... his stock is low right now, though, and I doubt it can get any lower. Who could even be interested in acquiring Jack right now? Can't trade him until the offseason anyway.

I don't see Hack getting rid of McInerney. Just like I'd be shocked to shit if he were to dump Cruz. First thing Hackworth did after Nowak's firing was to put Jack and Okugo in as starters, with pretty good results. Hack hasn't shown any tendency to really mix things up, especially the lineup. Hackworth is the 2013 version of Hans Backe.

11. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under Hack I see Jack leaving much more likely than Cruz leaving. I don't think he's ever benched Cruz based on performance.

12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, because Cruz is doing what he's tasked to do week in and week out.

etsjay and DaMunk repped this.
  13. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be time to start considering offers for ANY/ALL of our players. Who might we consider "untouchable" at this point? What player(s) must stay this offseason? As for a McInerney for Convey trade, NO WAY! To answer my own question, IMHO only Okugo is "untouchable".

He is #55 in your Colorado Matchday Program!

I guess this is OK, as long as we get 2014's version of Mike Petke!

14. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okugo for sure. I don't think you move Casey or MacMath unless something incredible comes along, despite their shortcomings. If given a choice between Gaddis and Williams, I think I might rather make Gaddis untouchable.

EmeraldDawn and Dills repped this.
  15. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would put four players on that list.

1 and 2 are Okugo and McInerney based on pure upside. Remember: Jack Mac just turned 21 a month or two ago. Show me a striker who turned pro before 20 and never had a half-year slump.

3 and 4 are Williams and Le Toux based on value and consistently. Neither are world-beaters, but both contribute above what they're paid and both basically run the offense when they're on the field. They'd be disruptive to get rid of and expensive to replace.

aztec21bas and Dills repped this.
  16. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I was harsh on Williams early in the year, but damn he really shut me up.

17. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell no to getting rid of Jack. His off the ball runs for someone his age is ridiculous. I agree with @Dills that it is a confidence issue and the result of a shitty midfield. Find someone who can feed him the ball, and Jack's scoring will come back. He has the potential to be a real star in this league. We need to stop trying to purge this roster every year and build some form of consistency. Casey won't be playing for too much longer, and Jack is a huge player to build around.

Lancaster FC and Amscray repped this.
  18. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okugo and McInerney are all about the money. Well, everything is all about the money, but what I mean is that if they have a year to go on their deals and won't agree to Union numbers they're both gone before they leave on a free.

If I need to choose financially I keep #14. McInerney is a poacher without service. If Philly won't fix their midfield he's just about useless.

Could see Williams moving to CB full-time making room for Gaddis at RB. Ray is more dangerous in attack less the throw-ins. Sheannon seems more comfortable in a full-time defending role anyway, and they keep his reasonable contract and sideline corners to boot.

19. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American strikers with Jack's ability to read the game only come once in a blue moon. We should prioritize locking him down for the long term like a Zusi or Donovan. It's more important to me than a DP.

20. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he can get on form again. How much money can you give someone with such a high cieling that's playing so poorly right now?

UnionDues, BuddhaWake and Handsome Pete repped this.
  21. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'd keep the starting back line and MacMath. Casey, if you don't expect him to play every day, and he might make an interesting CAM if he had somebody to pass to. Le Toux, if he don't have to do everything. Jack confuses me. I don't have a strong opinion eiher way.

22. DOOPist

DOOPist Member

May 17, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Some important questions that haven't been considered: Does Jack want to stay here long-term? Has he been pleased with how he has been handled/treated since returning from the Gold Cup? Does he have a good relationship with Hack?
    I'm not sure that we'd like the answer to any of those questions. Perhaps he feels he's being blamed for the offensive failings of the midfield, that Hack has refused to fix for most of the season. At the very least, a member of his family has expressed displeasure with Hackworth on Twitter at times.

23. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there is any such thing as truly untouchable. This is a business and selling players at the peak of their value, though often unpopular with the fans, can yield big results for tightly funded teams. Then again, I don't look at players as "replaceable" in their entirety given their possible ties to the community, fan base, or team.

Here is a short list of players that I don't think it makes much sense to trade or not bring back for next season given their age, salary, production, and intangibles.

Okugo
    MacMath (how quickly the fanbase has been converted to support him, eh?)
    Casey
    Le Toux
    Parke

This is a subsequent list where I would have to be wowed by what was being offered.

Williams
    McInerney
    Gaddis

24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's ask Wondolowski that last question.
    Seriously?

25. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell us more about this.