Union :: National Team Call-Ups [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Zman Gunner, Jan 20, 2010.

1. MisterB1968

MisterB1968 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    New Castle, DE
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After seeing Sheanon not get any playing time in a 3 games in 5 day span (therefore having to painfully watch Christ Albright have to play right back), this so much this

2. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man there's some kid wearing #7 for USA with great dribbling, shooting and passing skills! Why can't the U get a player like him!!!

3. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    And that burst he is displaying. What's that 1 goal and 4 assists in two games?

4. Slaskwroclaw18

Jun 26, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Salvador ties it up in the 94th minute! Does that mean our players are coming back!?

5. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yes the party is over we don't advance out of the group stage. ********

6. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, our players are coming back.

7. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Salvador deserved a red for that foul on Boyd in the closing minutes, what a goddamned disgrace.

8. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There ya go Nowak, you have no more excuses of losing players for 16 games.

But I'm much more upset about missing London 2012 than feeling nice about our players returning.

9. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully not the version of Freddy Adu that left the Union a couple of weeks ago.

10. etsjay

etsjay Member

Oct 31, 2011
    PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet he'd be unstoppable out of position...

Wait. What?

11. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA is getting embarrassed on all youth levels.

12. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Union's start to the season.
    The dismal Olympic Qualifying.

Maybe I should have taken a break from Soccer for 2012.

13. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before we beat up Nowak about Adu, let's not forget that one of the biggest differences about club soccer is that in league play, one's opponents are well acquainted with a players tendencies.

And Freddy tends to be very predictable. Everybody in the league knows and has experienced that he greatly favors his left foot. That he likes "sombrero" moves. And that he has no footspeed.

Until Freddy decides to do something about the uneven nature of his talent, he will continue to look better on the country level than on the club level. No matter who is his coach.

14. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea but his right foot looked pretty damn cultured in that 2nd assist last night...

15. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Freddy didn't look bad in the Portland game either. That's why I want to see him play here instead of risking an injury with the U-23s.

16. USRoverDE

USRoverDE Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to say well done to Sheanon Williams for being a late add to the Olympic Qually team and totally screwing up their team chemistry and as a result getting Amobi and Freddy (and himself) back to the U as fast as possible.

17. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I've been thinking the same exact thing. The only thing holding me over right now is FIFA 12 and the US victory over Italia.

18. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was torn about the Olympics as we could have been without 3 players for extended period of time and two of them being starters and one of those being an important piece of the roster, but not qualifying is hugely disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing how we did in the Olympics but losing 2-nil to Canada is unacceptable and so is letting in a last second goal to get the game tied. Fortunately Adu looked really good and hopefully he can pull a Ruiz and carry that over to the Union. Unfortunately Okugo did not defend well on the tying goal (otherwise looked decent).

19. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Gomez missed the 2 friendlies leading up to WCQ for Panama. Has anyone heard whether or not he is expected to play against Honduras tomorrow?
    The match starts @ 9:30pm our time. I'm not sure of anyplace on TV or online to view it, so if anyone comes across a source then please post it up.

20. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    not 100% sure but I think its on ESPN deportes. but its too early for me to think.

21. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gomez was injured in our game @ Dallas (May 19th).
    He flew out to Panama's camp around the 25th or 26th. He missed their two friendlies May 27th and June 1st, and was not on the roster for their first WCQ against Honduras (June 8th).
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/prelim...tches/round=258368/match=300181909/index.html

He did travel though, there is a video on the Panama federations website that show them flying to San Pedro Sula and you can see him getting off the plane.
    Their next match is at home against Cuba on the 12th. If he's not dressed for that game then I think it's time to worry about whether or not he will be available for the Union when he returns.

Elsewhere, Lopez was a sub (not used) for Costa Rica in their disappointing 2-2 draw at home vs El Salvador. I only saw the end of the game, they looked to be playing 3 backs with Roy Miller in the center.
    Alvaro Saborio missed the net on two chances 1 on 1 with keeper in the last 10 minutes, then they had a goal called back on an offside call that was so bad even a USOC ref would be embarrassed to call it.
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/prelim...tches/round=258368/match=300181889/index.html

Both matches were available as an online stream here:
    http://www.thefirstrow.eu/

gta95 repped this.
  23. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad news if it's long term. Good news if it keeps him out of international duty and away from further injury.

24. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read that Valdes, Gomez and Daniel were called for national team duty. When are the next games and which games are they going to miss?

25. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    august 15 is a FIFA day so they wuld likely only miss the chicago match. valdes out mean soumare could get his first start v his old team

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/calendar/events.html