Union In-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2013/14

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by phillyunion215, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depth? What? I'm scared at seeing most those players come off the bench.

We have some holes in the 11, and we need quality depth.

2. Bart1986

Bart1986 Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    My bad. Poor choice of words; by depth players, I meant players that are here just to fill the roster. There are way too many of these.

If you solve the 11, then depth is not an issue anymore, with Le Toux, Casey, Gaddis, Berry ideally on the bench. At this point I'd look to trade Carroll while he still has value (with Edu, Nogueira, Fernandes, Pfeffer and Lahoud, the Union can live without him) and/or Blake because there's no need to have two young promising keeper.

3. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cruz and LeToux are on bigger contacts than what they offer....those two are where I would start. I still think Carroll has something to offer this team.

Starpork and Handsome Pete repped this.
  4. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Mo goes to Brazil we need another player there. Lahoud is the only other defensive player there, and he is worse than Carroll. Also, most of Carroll's mistakes are blown ouy of proportion online.

I'd hold on to Blake. He still hasn't gotten a shot. I expect one of our keepers to be traded to an expansion team in the fall.

I'd like to see a HG striker like Madison signed ASAP. We need the depth, and it would expedite his development.

5. Bart1986

Bart1986 Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Le Toux is definitely an option too. But I don't see the Union getting back a valuable piece by trading Cruz.

6. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the LeToux worship by the Unions' "less-engaged" fans keeps him here. I don't think they want to run the risk of that PR nightmare again.

7. Bart1986

Bart1986 Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't think that Carroll is bad, it's just that at the time, he is the most valuable asset on the roster that we can live without (alongside with Le Toux), while we desperatly need an updrade in talent at other positions. A Nogueira-Lahoud-Fernandes midfield could do just fine if the defence is improved by trading Carroll. Just my opinion though.

8. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I may have spotted Madison hanging around near the locker room yesterday, but I could be completely wrong.

9. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm proceeding forward (If I'm the GM) with the thought that, for differing reasons, BC, Case and Seba have "no resale value". You'd be hurting the team worse to move them than keep them........but none "should" be XI considered at this point. The fact they have no choice but to consider them only highlights the problems.

I will steadfastly believe that Blake was drafted to allow us to move a keeper when the time was right. Not getting into an argument over which......just saying it's your most marketable asset.

Elsewhere; it becomes a matter of freeing up as much money as you might be able to-for guys you're unwilling to play.

Needs being what they are-I begin with a phone call to British Columbia. They have RM rotting on the bench who instantly upgrade this club.

Not kidding about bringing Mwanga back either. We love to recycle, and if you are insistent on single high I can't think of a better option around the league right now available on the cheap.

If (and I'm only saying IF-I believe Wenger is a better option on the L flank) I'm seriously considering moving Chaco as well. We have to give to get in the back 4, and I want to get a feel for the market @ CB and LB.

They have to overhaul the roster ASAP-and that means admitting incompetence and rebooting where you do have pieces to deal.

Starting right after the new coach takes over...............

10. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Mwanga is the retread this team needs. But there were reports of locker room fisticuffs yesterday with a teammate. Maybe he's on the move...

BuddhaWake repped this.
  11. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, and of course.
    Can't formulate an off-season plan in season. Also can't survive with what we have. We don't play through the air, so his timidity is a non-factor. His best games were in Philly. He should be had cheap. He provides the size for Nog to pick out on a pass. He will run and reach balls Casey can't on the ground, and he has no aversion to shooting-and will finish more than Prince Andrew. Beggars you know............

slitz repped this.
  12. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I feel like our deals have a smugness to them, as if we know something (association with the Under 17/21/23 program usually)others don't.

We gave up Pajoy for Cruz, and while Pajoy was super over rated and kind of shitty, well, we got Cruz. As if Kinnear and Olsen aren't the player whisperers Hack is.

We sent our left back depth to Chivas. I know, I know, he didn't want to be a LB. So what?! What does that even mean? Is the precedent then that a player not comfortable with a formation or role gets to opt out? This is a pro level right? We got a pick which we dealt and dealt and dealt and addressed our biggest issue, backup keeper.
    Ives is still enjoying Hacks drafterglow from that one.

We sent our starting striker for a bench F/CF (does he even know?), converted one forward into a shitty CB, sent a trial forward to the Hburg, leaving our starting striker as a guy with "no resale value".

This season isn't over (relax, I carry the Nexus Card), but it means acting to address the issues on the roster. Figure the effing CB thing out. White? Berry? If Hacks gonna tell me it'll take a desperate situation to start the better player I'm asking for a refund. If eyre not the guys go GET THEM.

We need a dangerous striker. I don't give a Sak for what formation, but someone that makes the other coach sweat not giggle when game planning.

A LB would be swell, but I get there aren't many.

Handsome Pete and lopezzzz repped this.
  13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooo............. our team needs a bonafied on field leader, a CB, a Left Back, a Winger and a Goal Scorer.

Right now the only real trade chips we have are (In Order): Blake, MacMath, Okugo, Valdes, Wenger, & Gaddis. Out of those, really only Blake is tradeable at this point, unless we get a LB. MacMath has quietly (despite what some want to believe) become a solid starting MLS Keeper. Okugo............shouldn't trade him. Wenger we just got. Gaddis is very valuable, but only if we get a bonafide starting LB. Valdes is an interesting prospect. If he plays, and plays well at the World Cup he'll have a lot of value. I doubt he'll come back to MLS (if he does, this is all moot) so we need to sell him, get the cash and go out and find a player or two to fill our biggest needs. Veteranish CB (think 26-27 years old, the next Valdes/Olave if you will) and a goalscorer.

Players we should trade, but won't get much in return: LeToux, Cruz, Carroll. These players contracts are far too big for the paltry returns we are getting. Carroll is debatable. He gets a lot of cristicism, and some of it is warented. If he wasn't the Captain I honestly believe he wouldn't get half the criticism he gets. LeToux......well Nick Sak basically said when he was resigned that he wouldn't trade him again............ so looks like we are stuck with him. It would be nice if they could rework his contract in the off-season though. Cruz............... What would we get for him? He'll be left exposed in the expansion draft, not sure if either team will pick him though. I say get value for him now, and sell him to OCSC.

14. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Williams is a fine defender, but increasingly a liability on the wing. He's played Central before. Carroll is OK defensively, but liability going forward. Fabinho is a serviceable left back and good going forward. Gaddis is fine on the right, not so much on the left. Okugo would rather play DM. Wheeler would be of more value as a central forward. So: Bench Carroll, move Okugo up to DM and make him captain, play Barry and Williams at CD, Fabinho on the left, Gaddis on the right, Wheeler at center forward.

cwelch999, aztec21bas and ShawnPaul repped this.
  15. uncleo

uncleo Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Downingtown, pa
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    get out of here with your sense making and logical thinking...

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if you're going to move Okugo up to CDM (which Hack most likely won't), then maybe put a natural CB in Ethan White - the same guy who played on a shitty DCU team and beat RSL (holding them scoreless) in the USOC at Rio Tinto - alongside Austin Berry.

Just sayin' ...

billf and LuckyStriker repped this.
  17. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then who plays out of position? macmath at left mid?

cwelch999, billf and Dills repped this.
  18. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Understand the thinking, but having watched him play there live at the DII level, Bench option the limit for me. Doesn't seem real comfortable scoring with anything but his head IIRC.

Hackworth needs to come to grips with the fact he lacks a single true, formational striker currently. Will necessitate another trade. Soon; and I suspect the first of many.

19. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that'll depend on how desperate Hackworth gets and to what extent Sak complies.

20. usfutbol12

usfutbol12 Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Report from MLS Transfers, so take it with the requisite grain of salt, but apparently Darren Bent is in talks with MLS. Can't say how big that would be for us to get a guy with his skill set. Nogueira has shown us what a top flight player looks like and Defoe has been lights out when healthy so Bent would be huge. Scoring has been our biggest problem so this would certainly be the answer to my prayers.

Report: http://mlstransfers.blogspot.com/2014/04/mls-darren-bent-in-talks.html?m=1

21. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The first time I ever player Football Manager, I bought Bent for 60 million. Ah to be young.

Amscray and urchin repped this.
  22. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we could start a campaign that would serve both those who want them to sign Darren, and those who are currently fortified against the Front Office, at the same time.

#GetBent

23. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

He just looks so happy in Philly...

cwelch999, Doop, drewuke and 5 others repped this.
  24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw an MLS Transfers retweet yesterday which said the Union owes Sochaux something like $150k if they get relegated, and they're currently sitting at #18 of 20, right in the relegation zone.

http://www.ligue1.com/ligue1/classement

25. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a moment, the way I read that was that you meant if the Union get relegated...and my next thought was "oh, that sneaky, conniving Nicky Sak."

Starpork and Dills repped this.