Union In-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2013/14

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by phillyunion215, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. f10ez

f10ez Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I wouldn't be surprised that if at some point the Union grab an overseas striker.

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Jack was the only option? I guess it depends on the needs of whichever team has top billing ...

3. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who else would a team give up their top spot for? The only players worth giving up an allocation spot are Amobi, Nogs, and Edu. I won't give any of them up. MacMath is arguable if the team needs a keeper.

4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Al O'Cayshun............... Didn't we give Vancouver a stack to obtain top billing to get Soumare two seasons ago?

5. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd assume we have given most of it up to keep Nogs from being a DP.

Also, when we traded we had a higher allocation spot. We are either at the end of the line or near it now. The team we trade with probably won't be able to pickup a player this year without trading up themselves.

6. hallam

hallam Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel we could trade Williams (or Gaddis) and Casey and get good enough value to sign a solid forward.

7. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams or Gaddis might work. I just want the defensive depth.

8. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats Defensive depth? Im not too familiar with that.

Ascalz, BuddhaWake and Handsome Pete repped this.
  9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Parke not worth it?

10. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We swapped from a higher spot.

To put it into context, it's easier to trade up to the top spot from the 5th spot in a draft than it is is from the 25th pick in the draft.

Right now, we are in the back of the line.

Handsome Pete and lopezzzz repped this.
  11. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/April 1, 2014 Salary Information - By Club.pdf

Salary/comp info released - highlights in terms of guaranteed comp:

6 Figure Club
    Edu $650K
    Nogueira $330K
    LeToux $263K
    Wenger $242K
    Okugo $228K
    Maidana $199K
    Casey $193K
    Carroll $185K
    Cruz $132K
    Williams $131K
    MacMath $120K
    Blake $113K
    Berry $102K
    Fabinho $101K

Others
    Bone $51K
    Fred $65K
    Fernandes $49K
    Gaddis $52K
    Hernandes $74K
    Holt $49K
    Marquez $37K
    McLaughlin $75K
    Pfeffer $85K
    Ribeiro $37K
    Wheeler $49K
    White $80K

Alumni
    Daniel $91K
    McInerney $294K
    Valdes $295K

cwelch999 repped this.
  12. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Doesn't that confirm Edu is our only DP then?

13. UnionizedPA

UnionizedPA Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Hope Leo gets his contract renegotiated soon. Definitely should not be making the same salary as the 3rd string keeper.

14. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No - Maidana had a $400K or so transfer fee for his 2 year contract so it gets added to his comp to likely just cross over into DP land. The team likely bought down Nogueira's transfer fee via allocation $ to keep his total $ under DP level since a 3rd DP spot would have been some out of pocket $ for the FO just to get the spot.

frobisherthepenguin1 and Amscray repped this.
  15. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't Cruz hate, but going by that list, I would say he is over valued at this point. His money jumps out compared to some others on the team. I also agree with @Tyr, that some of the younger guys need to start seeing some minutes or whats the point.

lopezzzz repped this.
  16. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few comments about the $:

* the McInerney - Wenger $ have flipped in terms of who is te bigger salary budget hit - Wenger comp is $242K, McInerney comp is $299K with the 2015 option putting him just under DP $. Based on his recent annual comp going from $190K in 2013 to $294K in 2014 - he likely woud be making $390K or so in 2015.

* with HGs making $20K - $50K more than recent college grads like Gaddis, Fernandes, Ribeiro and Marquez - haev to wonder if the team will not rush to sign another McLaughlin or Hernandez.

* Cruz and Lahoud are pricey veteran depth - Berry's $102K pushed him out of the door in Chicago as he was going to be a reserve CB for them.

* LeToux is making some big $ - Sak is still paying the price for letting Nowak ship him out of town

* Nogueira really wanted to come to the USA - his salary is below market

* MacMath is making less comp ($120K) this year than last year ($155K)

* Fernandes and Gaddis are likely calling their agents right now

EmeraldDawn, Lancaster FC and amusiccale repped this.
  17. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't some of the allocation money go towards the player himself?

19. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Lorenzo is likely paying all of his salary but there are instances like the Union/Edu and Union/Kleberson deals in which the Union pays part of of contract's wages and the other team picks up the rest of the salary per the player's contract with Stoke/Bahia.

No - allocation can go towards buying down salary budget hits for a player but if the allocation $ went directly towards the a player - they would be as useful as:

[​IMG]

20. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    4) Cut back on the shrimp order.

Lancaster FC repped this.
  21. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #471 SideshowBob, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
    Do you mean that some of the transfer fee going to the player? Possible, I suppose, but wouldn't make a big difference in his being underpaid.

Wasn't he asking for even more before being traded and then being mediocre? While I agree he is overpaid for his quality, I was under the impression that part of why he was traded was due to his salary demands coming off good years in Philly.

22. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If we're talking about overvalued, Hernandes, Pfeffer, and McLaughlin are all making about $25K more than your starting whichever-back, Raymon Gaddis. Which is absolutely criminal for any number of reasons.

Lancaster FC, amusiccale and billf repped this.
  23. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gaddis is underpaid, for sure. It's great to get value out of a guy under $60k, but as a consistent starter over the last couple of seasons, you'd hope he gets a bump. There's a lot of overvalued guys on the bench at other positions so that really jumps out.

24. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I hate to sound, I dunno, mean or tight fisted, but whenever these reports come out there is a rush to look at the outliers and deem them vastly overpaid/underpaid. SHip out the overpaid cause they're bums! And, to my ear sounds even odder, give that guy a raise. If we raise all the underpaid guys just cause we're feeling sorry, it destroys the whole "we've got a steal in ____" argument. Let's say you paid Gaddis $100k, then what? His on the wrong foot and inability to accurately cross looks worse vs he's the plucky underpaid but tenacious defender in a bowtie narrative we have now. It would also push the team towards the cap we're always hearing so much whinging about. Cruz was overpaid relative to his performance last year when he saw the pitch for 2500 minutes. I'm just as happy to pay him that and not let him in the IIXX (why isn't that the way to say 18?). He's now overpaid vs when he was the plucky underpaid but hard trier at $70/90k. I still remember one of the talking heads like Twellman drop something like "can't understand how a talent like Cruz is on his 3rd team in 3 years". Just watch him a bit TT, and you'll wonder why he hasn't moved onto his 4th in 4. Now he's too pricey, but someone will think they're shrewd and get the U to pick up half and take him as value depth and we'll complain how we're still paying for that stiff.

That's the lifecycle of an MLS player right there. Due to injury or trade, some kid gets a shot, holds onto it and everyone thinks he's a tremendous value. After a year he gets a bump, everyone's figured out how to play against him and he gets moved onto the next team with the former subsidizing the move. Two years later they're on the local broadcast team...

Tyr repped this.
  25. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think any MLS player who starts or subs regularly should be making a minimum of $75-$85K - it's a very moderate, non-capbusting number. Any starter like Ray who's making significantly less than that is underpaid, regardless of whether or not there are flaws in their game.

EmeraldDawn and BuddhaWake repped this.