Union In-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2013/14

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by phillyunion215, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phillyunion215

Dec 31, 2010
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we are everyone the new season is here!

We come in looking stronger than ever with our new revamped midfield and young core coming together.

Looking at the roster...

Who (if anyone) get shipped off mid season?
    Who goes to HCI?
    What position should the Union target a player for in the upcoming window?

Dills repped this.
  2. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Casey/Carroll/Blake (sadly)
    McLaughlin/Marquez/Pfeffer/Hernandez/Ribeiro(sadly)
    Position(s): LB/Target F/RM

3. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carroll/MacMath
    McLaughlin/Hernandez/Marquez/Pfeffer
    LB and an attacking mid and/or target forward

4. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't think the Union would be that stupid. I know they can be, but I just don't see this.

5. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering Blake is a GA in a year with a two team expansion draft, MacMath is the favorite to be traded in my book.

6. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is possible Blake goes on inter-league loan, Casey retires after the season and the captain walks the plank
    For HCI one of Pfeffer and Ribeiro goes along with the two other HGs and possibly Marquez or Wheeler
    If Fabinho and Gaddis can't handle LB we should look for our 85th LB since trading Harvey, possibly another Fwd especially if Wheeler is gonna see more CB which is why I list him with HCI.

TheNJHammer repped this.
  7. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think he was drafted for the purposes of asset to acquire the missing pieces to the puzzle (in their eyes).
    Stupid doesn't have as much to do with it as loyalty in my eyes. Please don't take this as meaning I'm down with it in any way. Just playing percentages.

8. TheVisualizer

TheVisualizer Member

Jul 14, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who (if anyone) get shipped off mid season?
    I don't think anyone goes unless something else significant is coming back to us. Id rather keep as much depth available as possible to prepare for next year's expansion draft.

Who goes to HCI?
    McLaughlin, Hernandez and Pfeffer seem the most obvious choices since they are the youngest. Id rather Ribeiro go as well and be developed as a target forward as his size and strength on the ball would work better there than as a CAM or winger. Hack hasn't carried much defensive depth in the past so maybe Marquez gets sent down too.

What position should the Union target a player for in the upcoming window?
    I like what we have right now, but if Casey is injured for awhile it might be a good idea to bring in another forward.

9. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think Daniel, Lahoud, and maybe Hoppenot are candidates for movement. I like Hopp but other teams may want him and we have several players who can do what he does (LT, Cruz, Jack). If Blake goes somewhere it will probably be via loan - wouldn't it be great to get a team to pay us for a player we don't pay for?

HCI: McLaughlin, Hernandez, Marquez, and maaaaybe Blake

Needs: None. Maybe LB depth. Looks like LA is willing to part with Greg Cochrane... Oh, wait.

10. bluestate

bluestate Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Bethlehem, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After CHI leaked 3 goals to CHV today, anyone else feel bad about how the whole Soumare-Berry scenario has worked out for the U? ;)

TheNJHammer repped this.
  11. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So awesome it's not even funny, bro. Never understood why anyone in Philly wanted Soumare starting. Even when he fouls people it looks like he's moving in slow motion.

12. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    There are times when I've thought about following the Fire. I don't see myself moving back to Philly any time soon and I really miss going to games more than 1.5x a season... then I look at that organization and realize how lucky I am to have Nick Sak. o_O

amusiccale and MorganFreeman repped this.
  13. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't see MacMath moving or Blake. It's an expansion draft year and Blake will be
    protected as a GA. They can keep both and not improve an expansion side.

Trade bait- Keon, Lahoud, Bone, Carroll(post WC if Edu goes) , Leo.

Unprotected - could be Casey, with those knees and price we might dare them to take him. Seba if his feet give him issues, he's 30 now.

They're going to need another forward. At the very least as succession planning.

wantmlsphilly repped this.
  14. MorganFreeman

MorganFreeman Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Carroll (timing depends on Edu's WC status). Lot of people saying McMath, but I think he sticks around for expansion reasons. Keon, Lahoud, Hoppenot, Casey and maybe the rights to Valdes (as part of a package).

McLaughlin, Fernandes, and Hernandez. I think Pfeffer sticks around and gets some playing time. [not sure of rules, can they recall an HCI player at any time? If so, then Pfeffer goes and looks great, comes up after WC break]

Forward, LB, and CB depth. If Carroll goes and they get another CB, Okugo moves up to take Carroll's spot.

15. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yes they can recall them at any time

16. fcobbina

fcobbina Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Holt, Marquez, McLaughlin, and Hernandez get sent to Harrisburg.

17. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mid-season outs: Might still be too early to tell / an offer of a first round pick can be quite motivating even for a player we weren't shopping. I'll say Daniel just based on Hack's recent comments. Valdes' full sale.

HCI candidates: Hernandez, McLaughlin, Marquez, Holt, Pfeffer / Fernandes / Ribiero

Summer targets: Make Edu move permanent. Extend Okugo. Otherwise, I'll revisit this in May.

18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one is clutch, as is McInerney. Both are in the last years of their contracts and, like Will Johnson yesterday, sign the extension soon so the guys don't have it hanging over their heads all season long. McInerney's deal may hinge on his performances, perhaps up to the all star break.

cwelch999 repped this.
  19. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If their deals expire on Dec. 31st, 2014 both players can sign pre-contracts this summer (as Agudelo did with Stoke). Frankly, this should have been a priority before now. I want to see Amobi and Jack smiling on a dais next to Hackworth and Sakiewicz, not holding up the jersey of another team.

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it would go over so well if either/both of those guy commit themselves to another team when the summer comes rolling around.

21. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Okugo has always been really clear about wanting to play in Europe and that hasn't changed - remember his initial reaction to Bradley coming back? He's not going to re-up without seriously considering interest from overseas. I'd say that Jack is less than committed to the long-term, as well.

22. bluestate

bluestate Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Bethlehem, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could live without Jack in a Union jersey, but not Okugo... that would be soul crushing. He has quickly become the most indispensable player on this team, even with the new guy's we brought in. #ManCrush

Amscray repped this.
  23. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah this has always been my impression as well. Aside from the fact that he doesn't really want to be a central defender long-term, he's always made it clear that he wants to go to Europe at some point. I'd actually be somewhat surprised if we re-signed him beyond this year. Hopefully those secret retention funds are in play.

24. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope he has one of those option contracts, baby!

[​IMG]

Doop repped this.
  25. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    Let's be real, neither have Sr. team caps. If they get offers from Europe, it would prob be from 2nd tier leagues at best.

This year is MLS 2.1 w/all the Yank talent that has returned to the league. They apparently felt the competition was sufficient preparation/showcase for Brazil (or JK just convinced them it was). Do Okugo and JM9 want to go to Europe just to go Europe or do they want to go to test themselves against the best competition? If they want competition, MLS is the place to be until they ad some caps to their Wikipedia page.

DiscoWarrior11 and G-Ho Blue repped this.