Union/H-burg City Islanders catch all [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Lancaster FC, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    P.S. Tickets are just $10 and available online through the team's website!

2. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Hey, look at that, Hack must be reading my scouting reports! Think I can get a finder's fee?;)

It's interesting to look back at this now because Lucky went on a goal-scoring tear late in the season while Touray struggled with injuries down the stretch. The two ended up tied with points on the season. Either way, my ranking of Ekra ahead of each seems somewhat validated now. No worries, I will continue my self-congratulating elsewhere... :D

etsjay, drewuke, cwelch999 and 1 other person repped this.
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    drewuke repped this.
  4. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Vartughian seems to be preparing to be the team's full-time GM/Technical Director (then need to find a goalie coach unless they want to try to get Oka Nikolov to do it) with Burke becoming the top assistant coach.

6. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The future of top MLS teams seems to be going into the direction of not just having a good academy systemd but also a good minor league Affiliate system starting with Reading as mentioned in the article as their PDL affiliate already producing several Union players. Were among the first clubs to have a USL Ppr minor league affiliate. As well as a soccer specific HS affiliate in Wayne PA.
    Reading has a big time College goalie as we all saw.
    Still one of the newest franchises in the league and although some others may have had a bit more success lets see how these home grown and draft picks with the ability to come through an affiliate minor pro club.
    Academy players going to the NCAA and able to play in the PDL for Reading in the summer alongside a group of coaches who are moving up with the system themselves.

7. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Even though Clesio was not signed by the Union during his trial, he'll be in Harrisburg with draft pick Robbie Derschang, so perhaps both could be in the club's long term plans? Regardless, Clesio is an intriguing prospect for Harrisburg and continues the team's tradition of African footballers. I wrote a quick post on this legacy and where Clesio fits into the team, link below. This was before the Hernandez and McLaughlin loans were officially announced, but I'd expect Edinho Junior up top with Clesio and Morgan Langley or McLaughlin as the wings, Ekra tucked beneath Junior, Hernandez the playmaker, etc. By the way, Clesio and Junior both scored in the Isles' 3-1 win at Penn State yesterday.

http://thesportsburger.com/2014/03/20/city-islanders-african-pipeline-continues.aspx

phillypride repped this.
  8. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this article in the Harrisburg Patriot-News http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/post_453.html, Richie Marquez and Pablo Ribeiro played for the City Islanders in their 3-1 pre-season win over Penn State in State College Saturday. The City Islanders play today (Sunday) at 3:00 pm versus Navy at Cumberland Valley Eagle View Middle School.

9. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Harrisburg opened the USL-PRO season with a 0-0 draw at Wilmington. All four of the Union loanees played, with McLaughlin a second half sub and Hernandez, Marquez and Ribeiro starting. Ribeiro and Marquez started as the center backs and did pretty well all things considered. Ribeiro is a physical specimen, skillful out of the back, and has a huge throw-in. Ribeiro looked more comfortable at center back than Wheeler did in Harrisburg last year. Marquez was solid, positionally sound. Hernandez controlled the midfield with his possession, but the team squandered lots of chances, especially in the first half when they dominated. Clesio should've scored a couple, he has incredible pace but needs to improve his finishing (perhaps why the Union passed on him), Raphael Cox had a very strong game at left back. Nick Noble made some unreal saves but his distribution can be improved. City Islanders have their home opener in two weeks, hopefully Jose Barril (another Union trialist) gets his visa by then.

etsjay and phillypride repped this.
  11. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nonsense. Sounds like he'd fit right in. Can he cross it with any degree of competence?

12. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    #112 Hax, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
    A bit delayed in posting this but here's my recap of the season opener. Observations not too different from what I posted above, just a bit more in-depth including the team's formation and strong play from non-Union players like. Nick Noble in goal and Raphael Cox at left back.

http://thesportsburger.com/2014/04/11/city-islanders-kickoff-season-with-scoreless-draw.aspx

He only tried a couple and those few were not too great. A few of the new players could've shared the ball a bit more when close to goal, but it was the first game and they hadn't had a lot of time together so I'll give them a pass. Should be interesting to see how they play next week in the home opener with two weeks off in between matches.

13. skijoel

skijoel New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    oley
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after seeing islander coach, coach a youth team i hope this idiot loses every game. complete tool !

14. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    R U Reddy for sum futbol?

Mebbi dis be a good warmup for de weekend eh?

15. unionchris

unionchris Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ethan White looked at fault for both Charleston goals in the first half tonight. Bad marking and positioning.

16. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    White did not help his cause getting a straight red card for a shove after being fouled.

17. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup he sounds PERFECT to be starting on the U's back line.

18. drn99

drn99 Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    White fully at fault on the 1st and having a bad night overall. White partially at fault on 2nd but I put most of it on Zizzi (who is absolutely terrible every game). Cox is a poor man's Fabinho.....can go fwd a little but can't defend at all and that's not helping White.

Marquez continues to look surprisingly good considering the rest of the d is awful.

Midfield can't maintain any real threat without Hernandez in the game and that is putting a lot of pressure on the d too.

19. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should swap him in for Okugo. His shoves plus Wheeler's karate kicks. Back line heaven.

20. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And let's not forget Berry's shoulder charges either!

21. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting Halftime interview with one of the HCI owners (skip to 1:01:00)
    • growth and development of USL pro
    • development of HCI
    • hopes for a stadium
    • partnership with the union

thomas19064 and William Penn repped this.
  22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did he say, in a nutshell?

23. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Basically that it's cool HCI and other teams in USL Pro are grooming future MLS and national team stars. Nothing really substantial.

24. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    A no name midget (my favorite name someone gave to him back in 2012) scored a pretty big goal from Harrisburg tonight