Union/H-burg City Islanders catch all [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Lancaster FC, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the Union twitter feed, HCI and RUAC will be meeting in the next round.

https://twitter.com/PhilaUnion/status/334678287097937920

2. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Right, that's always been the case. The question is: who does the RU-HCI winner play in the third round? Do they play the Union or do they keep affiliates separate? That's what we're wondering.

3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oof, gotcha. I'm having a hard time keeping up. :oops: ;)

4. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's silly that they're making them play each other. There's really no other teams in this area they could play?

5. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In the third round May 28 games, have to think that Philly will draw one of the winners of the regional non-affiliate match-ups (i.e. Pittsburgh @ Ocean City, Icon FC @ Richmond, GPS Portland @ Rochester).
    SECOND ROUND
    AWAY TEAM
    SCORE
    HOME TEAM
    May 21
    Icon FC (USASA)​
    7:00​
    Richmond Kickers (USL Pro)
    May 21
    Dearborn Stars SC (USASA)​
    Dayton Dutch Lions (USL Pro)
    May 21
    Orlando City SC (USL Pro)​
    Ocala Stampede (PDL)
    May 21
    Seattle Sounders U23s (PDL)​
    Charlotte Eagles (USL Pro)
    May 21
    Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL)​
    Georgia Revolution (NPSL)
    May 21
    Carolina Dynamo (PDL)​
    Carolina RailHawks (NASL)
    May 21
    H’burg City Islanders (USL Pro)​
    7:30​
    Reading United (PDL)
    May 21
    Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL)​
    VSI Tampa Bay FC (USL Pro)
    May 21
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL Pro)​
    Ocean City Nor’easters (PDL)
    May 21
    Laredo Heat (PDL)​
    Fort Lauderdale Strikers (NASL)
    May 21
    GPS Portland Phoenix (PDL)​
    7:35​
    Rochester Rhinos (USL Pro)
    May 21
    DM Menace/Madison 56ers​
    8:30​
    Minnesota United FC (NASL)
    May 21
    FC Tucson (PDL)​
    San Antonio Scorpions (NASL)
    May 21
    Wilm. Hammerheads (USL Pro)​
    Austin Aztex (PDL)
    May 21
    Ventura County Fusion (PDL)​
    9:30​
    Los Angeles Blues (USL Pro)
    May 21
    Charleston Battery (USL Pro)​
    10:30​
    Portland Timbers U23s (PDL)

6. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    I hope so, which would probably mean the HCI-RU winner gets DC United, NY Red Bulls or NE Revolution like in the past.

7. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prediction:

Union vs Icon/Richmond (DC affiliate)
    Revs vs HBurg/Reading. (Union affiliates)
    DC vs Pitts/OC
    NY vs Portland/Rochester (Revs affiliate)

Totally plan on being 0 for 4 here

Dills repped this.
  8. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring on the fat unicorns, say I.

But if we get Icon FC, someone has to make an overhead of this...

[​IMG]

Billy Zabka repped this.
  9. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HBurg/Reading winner travels to RBA in round 3

10. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Harrisburg earns a 2-2 home draw against the league-leading Orlando City Lions, City Islanders goals by Sainey Touray and Yann Ekra while Dom Dwyer had a brace for Orlando. Don Anding assisted on Touray's goal, Ekra's was an incredible solo effort. Why aren't more MLS teams interested in these two? Touray leads the team in scoring (5 goals, 3 assists), has speed to burn, and is only 23 years old. Ekra is a beast, tough to play off the ball, with excellent skills and is just 22 years old. These guys aren't more seasoned and skillful than some NCAA players? I guess the MLS contract structure and their nationality make it difficult, but I'll never understand why a Morgan Langley gets a MLS contract and these guys don't. Speaking of Langley, after scoring in a couple of games, he struggled against Orlando as you'll read in my recap. He is quick and puts himself in great positions, but his touch often lets him down. Finally, I think the City Islanders need their central midfielders to stay healthy if they're going to cement their defensive responsibilities. Jason Pelletier, Andrew Welker, Tom Brandt, and Andrew Ribeiro have all seen action in the central defensive midfield slot due to injuries, and this might explain why the center backs get exposed frequently. The wide midfielders get caught up high on the wings and communication breaks down between the midfield and defense. Greg Jordan and Coady Andrews have been able to handle many of those breakdowns, but it often makes for some dicey moments. By the way, Dom Dwyer is legit, scored a helluva goal from a restart 25 yards out and then tapped in an unlucky deflection. He's dangerous, has 12 goals already in 2013, and should find a home in MLS soon (Sporting Kansas City owns his rights). Next up for HCI: fellow Union affiliate Reading United in Tuesday's Open Cup.

http://thesportsburger.com/2013/05/...-a-win-city-islanders-prove-their-mettle.aspx

onehandedtyr repped this.
  11. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Harrisburg, Hate missing games but have to work because I take off for Union matches. Do they still play the annoying music. I love their games but would prefer to hear the field.

12. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Yup, they still play music during the match. I'd rather hear the players too, I attended the Reading United-FC Sonic match in Oley and it was great to hear the chatter on the pitch. I suppose HCI is trying to create more of an "atmosphere" with the music, but it can get annoying.

13. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    And just like that, the City Islanders are gone from the Open Cup. Mario Pinto scored the lone goal in the 9th minute and Reading United held on for the win. This is the first time Harrisburg has ever lost to a PDL team in the tournament and a major disappointment for a team that opened the 2013 season so well. Congrats to Reading, go beat those Red Bulls!

onehandedtyr and EmeraldDawn repped this.
  14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if he'll be back for the Ocean City game.

16. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Harrisburg and Richmond tied 0-0 at halftime. Hernandez, Jordan and Wheeler in the starting XI.

17. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Greg Jordan flubs a wide-open header from a corner kick, indicative of tonight's performance by HCI as they trail the Kickers 2-0 late.

18. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Stream isn't working but Union reserves, aka HCI, thumping Charlotte 3-0 in first half. Opening goal by Hernandez followed by a Wheeler brace.

19. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Goal McLaughlin. For those scoring at home, that's Union reserves 4, Charlotte 0. With the win, Harrisburg moves into sole possession of 2nd place, 7-2-1 (22 points). Sainey Touray leads the team with 6 goals and 4 assists, while Union loans have posted good numbers on the year: Hernandez (3 goals, 2 assists), McLaughlin (2 goals), Wheeler (2 goals), Anding (2 assists).

onehandedtyr and TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  20. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who would you wager is the most MLS ready to contribute to the Union?

21. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Good question. I’ll do two lists, the first from Union loans and the second from any non-roster players. Players are ranked in order of who I think is most MLS ready:

1. Don Anding – I’ve made no secret that I rate him highly and think he should play now in Philly. Gaddis has struggled at left back, and Anding has the wheels and strength to play there. He’s a couple of inches taller than Gaddis but still moves just as well. He was a deft finisher in the NCAA ranks and has nice ball skills. I still don’t know where he is with crossing since he overlaps towards the near post frequently, but I think he’s the likeliest to get first-team action soonest. Can also play midfield.

2. Cristhian Hernandez – I’ve also made no secret about how much I like his game. He is a true #10 playmaking midfielder. His distribution is superior to most in the USL-PRO ranks, has great vision and is dangerous from distance. Strikes the ball very well and moves well enough. Like many #10 players, he has no defensive game to speak of and he knows that he needs to work on tracking back defensively and tackling. He’s still very young, just nineteen years old, but has a promising future. Probably could use more seasoning, I’d loan him to a team in Mexico or Europe for a season to further his development. Kleberson’s replacement in 2015 if the Union retain him next year?

3. Aaron Wheeler – I was tempted to give him an incomplete because I haven’t seen him play as much as the others, just two road games with very spotty feeds. From what I saw, he is a great physical specimen, tremendous height with great speed for a target of his size. His first match against Richmond was tough, the team was shutout and he struggled to link up with his teammates. But he did much better last night, scoring two goals (one from a penalty kick). I’m guessing he’s the understudy for Conor Casey, although I haven’t seen enough to know if he’s as good in the air. Sorry I don’t have more on him, but he’s probably more likely than others to play for the Union sooner because of his physical traits and experience.

4. Jimmy McLaughlin – He’s hit or miss for me. He is capable of completing some spectacular plays, has great one v. one moves, quick enough, but also disappears at times or forces the issue and commits bad errors. Another youngster, just twenty, but not as complete as some other Harrisburg attackers like Yann Ekra and Sainey Touray. Has played on the right wing, but doesn’t look like a real contributor at the MLS level yet.

5. Greg Jordan – A very serviceable center back for the USL-PRO ranks. Good enough height but not physically imposing, decent speed and average distribution for a center back. I can’t imagine him breaking into the squad unless injuries and trades continue to deplete the Union’s backline. I like him a lot for Harrisburg, he filled a big void when Dustin Bixler was lost to injury last season, but again, I don’t see him making a splash in MLS.

As much as the City Islanders rely on Union loans, they do have some other talented players who could make a difference in MLS.

1. Yann Ekra – I love his game. Strong, fast, strikes the ball well, and still young (22 years-old), I can’t figure out why he hasn't received more interest from MLS squads, perhaps his Ivory Coast citizenship. He is a beast on the ball and plays with great heart. He hasn't posted the numbers of Touray (8 goals, 3 assists in 29 games the past two seasons), but he also plays a more withdrawn role.

2. Sainey Touray – Speedster from Gambia who can play on the wing or up top. Slight frame but has tremendous pace, lights up the stat sheet (16 goals, 14 assists in 49 matches since 2011) and currently the USL-PRO’s second-leading scorer. Also on the young side, 23 years-old, but like Ekra, his international status might make it tough to find a MLS team.

3. Lucky Mkosana – I know that he’s gotten more interest from MLS teams than Ekra or Touray, but he hasn’t shown as much in 2013 as he did in 2012. Has primarily been used as a second-half sub, Mkosana finishes extremely well and finds good positions (10 goals and 3 assists in 24 games since 2012, but just 1,096 minutes played). Smallish attacker with good speed, perhaps not as quick as Touray but a little stronger (yet not as strong as Ekra). The Fire and Crew passed after trials.

4. Coady Andrews – Might be worth a look because of his size and strength. A large center-back at 6’3” and 200 lbs. (although UMKC listed him at 6’2” and 185), Andrews has become a fixture in the backline. Good in the air.

Otherwise, there probably aren’t others who will end up getting trials from MLS. Nick Noble has not played as well in goal as last season, Stephen Basso is getting too old to get looks at left back, Tom Mellor has a great left foot but is too one-dimensional as a winger, Jamiel Hardware distributes the ball beautifully but is probably not physical enough for MLS, Morgan Langley never should’ve been signed by Philly in the first place.

22. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
  23. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McLaughlin with a late goal last night for HCI to seal a 2-0 away win at Tampa Bay. At Orlando tonight.

24. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
  25. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Ladies and Gentlemen, the USL-PRO playoffs are coming to Harrisburg: Saturday, August 24, 2 pm vs. Charlotte. The Union doesn't play until Sunday night so it'd be great to see some of you on City Island. A minimum of five appearances is required for loaned players to be eligible for the postseason, thus Don Anding, Cristhian Hernandez, Greg Jordan, and Jimmy McLaughlin could all appear in the match. Come and support your affiliate, drink the inexpensive beer, buy the discounted merchandise, pillage the bankrupt city... well, sure, have at it. Just come and help the City Islanders in their quest for the title!

Doop, SOwannaB and TonyClarkDOOP repped this.