Understanding Paul Scholes [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I didn't compare their scoring, in the slightest, which was the point of writing so much. I don't know i you've watched Euro '84 and the football they played, but Zidane never got near that in his entire career. That's retention and football for the ages, mostly orchastrated and dictated by Platini.

Watching former world cups gives a better sense of perspecive on Zidane's tournaments. His pinnacle was Euro 2000, but again, that's par for the course for the rest and they outmatched it.

Zidane did not and could not ghost at anything like Scholes' level.

2. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    I understand your reasoning and it makes sense and seems fair but, out of curiousity, how high do you personally rate Scholes in terms of United history and how high do you rate Zidane in terms of world history i.e top 20, top 50?

3. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have seen the '84 final and one of the beatdowns they put on in the group stage in whole. Honestly however are we comparing Platini's performance in that tournament to what is truly possible now? The stupidity of the qualifying and the draw gifted them the easiest road possible.

Platini retention skills need to be compared with Zidane's against what they were playing. Oh and you could kick Platini out of a match. Zidane, not so much.

4. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Platini was like that all the time, which is the point I'm making. It wasn't a one-off and all that was needed for him to play like that every single game was able team-mates, which is what made him incredible. That's before we consider goals, which is another issue entirely.

Zidane didn't need to be kicked out of games to have the drops in performance that disassociate him from the toppermost tier.. ;)

5. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I see your point and I have not seen anywhere the same amount on Platini as you so I must concede that point.

And yes while you didn't need to kick Zidane out of some big matches he also didn't always need to play well to have the biggest impact in the biggest of games.

6. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    lol.. come on... read what you just wrote again...

Anyway... the Zidane melee can be readily found on other fora on BS so I'll stop here. Not a subject of interest to me in the extended form.

PM ~Teso with your last post. That would be fun.. for you...

lolol

7. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know what I wrote and God did that come off wrong...

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
  9. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    just got done reading the first post...wow.

definitely made work go by faster!

question for you, DS. what would you say veron's best is? he's practically been used as a retainer, DLP, and playmaker throughout his career.

just curious...thanks.

10. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Veron was at his very best in the period before we bought him, where he was truly amazing. From about '98-'01 he was used as a DLP who would come forward whenever the situation required him to do so and he was superb.

During that time he was one of my favourite players in the world to watch. everything he did just felt right and his energy and work-rate were something else given his position.

It's a shame we took away what made him so fundamentally good away from him when he got here.

11. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    [youtube]RrFzZz_q55I[/youtube]

All hail the Ginger Prince..

12. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just one thing to understand.

He's fookin brilliant.

13. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    I've been waiting all season for him to belt one like that and it couldn't have come at a better time. :D

14. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so happy for him, that he was the one who got that crucial goal, and a beautiful goal at that.

15. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Understanding Paul Scholes? Well I understand that he JUST GOT US TO A CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL!!!!!! :D :D :D

16. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    I think we all understand Paul Scholes now..;)
    Besides the goal, he did so much little things in the midfield today that help in keeping possession and defending... absolutely brilliant.

He is definitely the MotM of this semi-final tie.

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What a rediculous shot!

18. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I screamed like a little girl when he scored....that is a legendary goal....well deserved given his work rate, and what he's been asked to do in the midfield as of late

19. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    One of the most beautiful and meaningful goal I've ever seen. Perfectly struck ball. Perfect placement. ORGASMIC JUBILATION! :D

20. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What is there to understand? The man is royalty.

21. JAKE SPEED

JAKE SPEED Member

Sep 27, 2007
    There is no one I'd rather have had score that goal than Scholes.

22. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Paul Scholes: Bigger Than Jesus.

23. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    By quite a distance too. The only others that came close to him were the Brown/Rio pairing, and Messi who was consistently fantastic despite Barca not scoring.

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Scholes was amazing (Rio was better though) and he was the difference maker.

25. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    *applauds*

good performance mr.scholes...

dark savante got onto me last week when i criticized him for what i thought was a poor performance...and i stand by that (sorry DS). this match was much better...and it is not just the goal, the goal was the cherry on top, it was everything else. the little quick passes in traffic to keep possession, the pinpoint 35 yard balls that switched play, his positional sense in the second half, et al...just a nice match all around...a player I admire a lot.

Oh, and I guess I will go ahead and give my congratulations here in this thread...good luck in the final, I have a feeling it will be you and liverpool...I just hope your team doesn't let them get 6, have to keep milan and them separated by a multi-title difference. :p