Understanding Paul Scholes [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Feb 4, 2008.

1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's certainly taken more liberty at getting into the box, that's for sure. I don't think we'll see a return to his old days when he did this regularly every match, but it has surprised me that he's done so. I assume he's grown more comfortable with the team around him and realizes he can make more runs up the pitch. More realistically, he realizes that we just don't score goals from midfield and we don't have many plays coming through the center, and he takes it up to score.

Admittedly he should have scored today. The Scholes of old would have and I suppose I was a bit surprised he didn't finish those chances but years of not playing that role anymore had to take its toll on his finishing. I'm not so sure we will see this against Lyon or any bigger teams though.

2. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    It's the 'I'm about to be dropped as a starter light'. It was great to see more direct play from him today.

3. JAKE SPEED

JAKE SPEED Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I think part of it is that we have tremendous depth at central midfield this year and Scholes knows he can get a rest. I'm sure it was made clear last year by Sir Alex that our ability to compete in all competitions depended on Scholes being healthy and playing as much as possible. This year, that's not the case. While we might not see him Tuesday, I think we will see him in the rest of the big games, and he's going to be looking good.

4. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SirManc pointed it out - I'm glad to see Scholesy finally trusting those around him in the middle of the park enough to start going back into the box and trying to get a goal. The Scholes of the past 2.5 years would not have really done that - he hasn't really trusted any of his midfield partners since Keano to patrol that center circle and has therefore taken that responsibility on himself. Today he let Hargreaves take control of that area, and got himself in position for a couple headers, shots, etc. Sure, he didn't score, but it's still good to see that his attacking mentality still exists.

5. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I think it's tactical instruction, vinci. Scholes has been set free to do more of what he feels is right. Not neccessarily in terms of just getting into the box again, but going where his team-mates need him. Today's assist being a prime example. I can't even remember the last time I saw Scholes making a deep run to the right side of an oppo box to actually be in a position to cross like that!

As has been said in this thread. Scholes has a good two years left in this team just as long as his role is not box-to-box you could see him play any role of three in midfield: retainer, DLP or AM. He's got more liberty to do what he wants again and it's curious to see how is older, wiser head incorperates that into his game.

We should all also remember he's not long back from injury so he is finding his feet and rhythm with every game he plays. He's not back to 100% match readiness yet, the revised Scholes could turn out to be any number of things. I like it. I like it alot.

----

I meant to post this earlier, got it from the redview:

Who is the most difficult player to play against?

MC: Scholesy in training!
    OH : Seriously, he’s the best around. But there are different types of players, some where you know you’re going to have to be at the top of your game. Sometimes playing teams at the bottom of the league can be harder because they’re onto you all game, whereas the best teams give you more time on the ball. Some of the most gifted don’t always want to defend - Zidane for instance - but he’s one of the best I’ve ever played against. Good players find space and time when there is none, and no-one’s better at that than Scholesy. The best footballers also slow the game down - even if it’s very hectic - they can put their foot on the ball.
    MC: That’s a very important element of our game.

6. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Two things about Scholes from this game:
    1. I remember that he received a pass facing sideways in the middle of the pitch and passed it 1 touch so quickly to release Park it almost looked like a deflection!
    2. Did you see how much he passed it to Nani today? Just spraying the ball left and right almost automatically looking for him in the attack. But can you blame him? With the performances that Nani has been giving as of late

7. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Surprised nobody bumped this.

Our most important game of the season and Scholes strolls through it and is the best middy on the pitch by a mile and makes it all look like child's play.

8. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well it's to be expected, plus he doesn't have braids.

9. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again he makes Stevie Me look like a part-timer. It's not even surprising to anyone at this point.

10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I guess no one actually read your opening post...or all of it atleast..

11. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    lol@ that avatar.

12. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
  13. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Because that would be admitting the whole "we should take Scholes out back and shoot him" mentality was as absurd as it actually was.

14. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Where is Mini Mouse anyway?

15. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thanks for that interview, DS.

16. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Man I love Scholes. Such a class act, who happens to be an even greater footballer. My favorite of them all.

17. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    he was my man of the match today. I hope we can progress far enough in the CL for him to play in the final. the 2nd leg of the semi final against Juve in 99 is a great example of his class. I have all the respect in the world for him.

18. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned his excellence in the match thread. Actually, I co-signed bestbecks' (I think) statement about his excellence. I re-read the first post of this thread and I still don't understand WHY he's doing so well now when he was looking very poor a few months ago. But, you know, yay! and everything.

Just curious (and a little OT), do you think Scholes will coach after he retires? My impression is that he would be good at it, but wouldn't like it and therefore might not. But I'm basing that on nothing more than my own gut sense, which is to say, nothing.

19. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Can't see Scholes coaching adults, you have to be too vocal and forceful for that, he leads by example, not by verbals, and I can't imagine him handling petulance or the nonsense off the pitch.

Could easily see him as a top class scout or a coach of kids, however. He would also be a good technical skills coach at any level outside of adults, I think.

Scholes could well disappear into the wilds once done, but he loves the game and it may well pull him in at some level.

20. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see Scholes coach some kids. How inspirational would it be to be coaches by a short, asthmatic, slow United semi-great? The kids would see that the mental aspect is just as important as the physical.

21. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's an unusual character, so it's hard to tell. Maybe we will see him with kids after all. Ginger army! :)

22. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm sure he'll start doing some underwear modelling work, launch his own branded fashion line, perhaps go into semi-retirement in MLS, and open some "Paul Scholes" soccer schools.

Then again, maybe not.

23. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    One of the best things in Scholesy's make-up is his understanding of the younger ones around him. He never bollocks them, always smiles and encourages them and is always available for the pass should they be unnerved. He does this with Anderson and Nani a hell of a lot, and I've always got the impression he's a character outside of the spotlight with far more to him than meets the eye.

Anything behind the scenes with no attention to who he is and no press or media sniffing around would suit him to a tee, I think.

24. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I must ask, how much of Scholes suddenly looking good again to some has to do with those on the pitch finally understanding that they need him to control the flow of play and not just by passing him.

25. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Scholes change or did we?