UNC - Duke's Adidas Classic [R] Sept. 20, 22

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Klee, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The Tar Heels won't be having to travel across the country this weekend, but they won't be at home either. Duke is hosting its own "classic," the Adidas Classic, at their field over in Durham and we're in it. UNC will face Marquette late Friday afternoon (5 pm) and then will meet Florida International Sunday morning at 11:30. (Is this the correct time? What about church?)

My wife and I will be taking off tomorrow for several weeks in Europe, so I won't be posting much at all :)() unless it's from some Internet cafe in the heart of the Left Bank. So it's up to you guys to find out how good Marquette and FIU are and who's knicked up and who's coming back and maybe do a little woofing while you're at it.

2. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    You might not have meant me, since I'm not a Tar Heel fan but...

Marquette's a C-USA team, so they can't be any good. :D

Marquette's Jones rating is almost identical to Duke's so, again, they can't be any good.

Marquette lost to St. Louis U. last year so, again, they can't be any good.

Marquette was 16-6-0 last year, and 12th in the country in GAA, allowing an average of.65 goals per game. They'll lose to UNC but, hopefully, beat Duke.

It's good to see CUSA teams at least playing ACC teams.

Marquette is better than the midgy Big 12 creampuff opponent, Missouri, that UNC played last year.

3. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Injury status for Friday?

Does anyone out in Tar Heel Land know the status of Branam, Walker, or Fletcher for this Friday? Will Fletcher be red-shirting this season???

4. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
  5. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Are the three Tarheels hurt?

6. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I am hearing Fletcher may play but no decision has been made yet. Branham probably out until conferece tourney. Not sure what's up with Jordan.

7. speedo

speedo New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Chapel Hill NC
    Leslie Gaston

Just returned from Duke Adidas Classic game where the Heels had a first half scare from Marquette. The difference in the second half, in my opinion, is simple: "don't mess with Les..."

8. RD

RD New Member

Feb 24, 2000
    NC
    First half scare

I got to the match just a couple of minutes late and almost missed the first goal. But, it wasn't UNC scoring the goal. Marquette broke behind UNC's defense and then the unthinkable as Reddick took the player down in the box. Reddick gets the red card, and Marquette makes the PK for a 1-0 lead just 4+ minutes into the match. Marquette continued to play well but UNC got a nice rhythm towards the end of the first half. A lot of Marquette fans were on the cell phones calling home to spread the big news.

Then, the second half started with UNC still a player down but dominating (IMO) play. Eventually a foul is committed just outside the Marquette box, UNC shoots and hits the crossbar and as a UNC player goes up to head the ball a Marquette player used a little too much muscle to move her away from the ball. Now, Susan Bush steps up and hits the PK to knot the game at 1-1. UNC continues to attack and Mary McDowell cracks a beautiful shot from the left side of the box over the Marquette goalie to make it 2-1. Next, Anne Felts scores from the top of the box to the lower corner of the goal and UNC has assumed a 3-1 lead. Marquette makes it interesting several times and has several close counters that just miss or the play is stopped for offsides. Finally, Anne Morrell beats a couple of defenders along the baseline, pulls the ball back out and beats the goalie for the last goal of the game. Marquette's #13 Kate Gordon escapes again to create a one-on-one with Aly Winget who gets just enough of the ball to push it wide and then I think Sara Randolph gets back to help keep the rebound out of the net.

The bad news for UNC fans is that Kacey White who's been playing well went down with an injury. But, a very strong effort in the second half to overcome the Marquette advantage. Next up, is FIU which was trailing Duke at halftime.

9. RD

RD New Member

Feb 24, 2000
    NC
    I forgot to mention that there was a pretty good set of former UNC players in the stands for the UNC-Marquette game tonight. Jena Kluegel and Tracy Ducar of the Boston Breakers, Cindy Parlow and Kristin Deplatchett of the Atlanta Beat, Danielle Borgman of the San Jose CyberRays and Wendy Gebauer-Palladino. Of course, Carla Overbeck was on the sidelines for the Duke team in the second game. It's always nice to see players continue to be a part of the program regardless of the sport after they graduate.

10. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Marquette

The Marquette team was clearly very excited to come to Durham and test themselves against one of the nation's best. As they entered the field, their show of respect for the opponent was a clear sign of preparation for the match. When Marquette's goalie ran over to the Carolina bench to shake Anson's hand, no one was expecting it. Anson got up and walked to the center line, where the rest of the players followed suit. What a classy team!

And WORTHY. Marquette looked very well-organized defensively, which kept UNC from establishing any offensive rhythm until the end of the first-half, when things began to click. Marquette would also execute their offensive game plan, which included some nice bombs and long through passes to fit, speedy forwards, which beat Carolina's offsides trap - more than once.

Anne Felts had a terrific and well-deserved goal after recovering the ball several times in the opponent's goalmouth and reeling off neat, swift passes to teammates. A note to Cat Reddick: We watched her leave the field in the first minutes after receiving the red card. She looked devastated. No worries, Cat! It was a bad decision and a tough call, but it happens! You are TOP NOTCH, FIRST CLASS, (world class), no doubt about it.

On defense, Randolph stepped in for Reddick, playing all 90 minutes. Gaston was superb, making some key saves. Elizabeth Ball must really be working hard to get the defensive nod from the start. This is a new position for her, and while she needs to keep her head up and look before attempting to send the ball upfield for teammates, she seems to be getting better and better with her touch out of the back. Yount-Winget was tested this time as the lone goalkeep in the match, making some nailbiting, onevone saves that prevented Marquette from knotting up the score. Brannam, we miss seeing you there, as well!

Fletcher doesn't appear to be suffering from any serious injury, so I am curious to hear if she'll be playing again soon. As for Tarpley and Chalupny, let's just say I'm having some Hamm/Lilly flashbacks from the early 90s. They work in tandem so WELL.

11. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    Re: Re: UNC - Duke's Adidas Classic [R] Sept. 20, 22

Well, Marquette is pretty good. You don't get 16 shots against UNC (even when UNC is a player down) without being good. Marquette dominated the first half and looked in control in the second half till Duke scored. Duke then was absolutely incredible in ratcheting up their attack and did everything they could do to tie up, except finish. Marquette wins 2-1 and had an impressive weekend in the loss to UNC and win against Duke.

12. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Where is Jordan Walker? Hurt?

13. TarheelFan02

TarheelFan02 New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    She has been injured, but if she doesn't come back with a furry, she won't see the field much. This team is really starting to gel and putting someone in the middle that doesn't bring anything special to the game may end up being the downfall of the midfield.

14. speedo

speedo New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Chapel Hill NC
    UNC v. FL INT

Talk about cruising. It won't matter how many players are injured this season. Today we saw Tarpley show that she may be the one to follow in Mia's shoes. Admittedly we had a weak opponent, but with Mary Mac maturing rapidly, Bush limping less, and surprises like speedy Murphy getting play time, who knows what could happen next. This has to be the strongest team ever.

15. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    What happened to Anne M? She isn't starting this year.

16. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Anne Morrell

Anne Morrell is a super-sub, like super-subs of the recent past Remy, Karvellson, E.B., etc--only with a few extra pounds of muscle. The girl is SOLID and you can't knock her off the ball. She tears it up when she comes off the bench. Let me assure you, she is doing JUST FINE after spending the spring in recovery from being injured. Got a chance to see some of her moves up close today against FIU, and WOW -- they were double, sometimes triple-teaming her, and still could not shut her down. She got an assist today, and an awesome endline goal on Friday nite.

17. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
  18. speedo

speedo New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Chapel Hill NC
    Morrell is healthy but sits down much of each game and will continue to do so. She is a fine aggressive player but tends to be less careful with the ball. She shoots more often than anyone per touch it seems. I think she is frustrated that younger players have taken her spot but that is the nature of UNC's team and I hope it will continue to be so.

19. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    If you like the 2002 version just wait until the 2003 version!

20. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Bench time

None of UNC's forwards have been on the field 100 percent of the time. Morrell probably has more work to do than Ramsey, Bush or Tarpley, which is why she comes off the bench instead of starting this year. Her strength seems to be having her back to goal, being able to hold off defenders, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces.

I have noticed that Dorrance seems to be nurturing Bush into a leadership role this year, and wants her on the field more often. Ramsey, seemingly indestructible and in her Junior year, is probably in a similar position. Tarpley, of course, has captained the U-19's for the past two years and provides great organization and leadership on the field. She goes back and forth between playing center mid and forward (often center).

With those three as starters, Carolina's offense seems strong. They were having trouble getting it going against Marquette last Friday. When one or more of them is able to come off the field and Morrell comes in, Morrell creates a different kind of dilemma for defenses that often have to pile players on top of her to stop her. When the starters are rested, they can once again shift the offensive strategy, forcing the opponent's defense to adjust.

21. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    I asked about Morrell because she was a starter last year and did well--I just looked it up-8G 8A-there aren't many players who get those numbers. It makes sense that Anson would mix and match his players to get the most oomph for his money (so to speak) on the field, but it has got to be hard on the players-- going from starter to reserve with good stats like that. He must work some magic to keep them happy.

22. TarheelFan02

TarheelFan02 New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Of couse in the long run I would run Tarpley, Ramsey, and Morrel up front with Bush coming in as the super sub. Health is going to be a concern with several players on this team, and mark my words someone from the group of Gaston, Bush, Ramsey, Morrel, and Fletcher is going to miss a majority of the season.

23. beenaround

beenaround New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    UNC looks to be dinged up pretty good.Branham,Randolph,White,Whatley,Walker,Steadman,Winslow all are limping.Good thing UNC is deep!!!

24. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    player satisfaction

I don't know--it seems like playing at Carolina is what it IS simply because you're able to practice every day against some of the strongest and most dynamic players in the college game. Morrell may have started last year, but that doesn't make it her birthright to continue as a starter because she is a team veteran. She's only a sophomore, anyway. For some, the whole benefit to being at UNC is competing with their teammates, who are going to help them elevate their game to a WUSA or National Team level. It seems like there are a lot of gains for players, even if they aren't the star of the team.

25. speedo

speedo New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Chapel Hill NC
    You hit it on the head, PJB, it's no shame to sit on the bench at UNC. It's no secret that their odds are pretty good to make the WUSA if they want to. Anson understands the difference in psychology between men and women and uses that to perfection.