UNC 2014

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 1, 2013.

1. fanosoccer

fanosoccer Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thanks for the write up on the game. To answer a few of your questions SH, Clay Weaver and Kathleen Connell play on the UNC club team and are practicing with the team this spring. Unlikely they will be on Fall roster and if so, probably won't see playing time. I know Clay practiced with the team last spring as well. I know nothing about their skills. I heard Bianca Gray is hurt (knee) but don't know how serious. Sorry, I can't help with your other questions. Glad you were able to go to the game and sounds like some good stuff going on for the Heels.

2. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    OK, now that you mention it, perhaps "quick" would have been a better word. I was impressed at how quickly she got well behind the defense and stayed onside. In the several instances that stick in my mind, she was 5 yards past everyone with the ball at her feet before they got turned around to give chase.

3. NWSL Fan

NWSL Fan New Member

Oct 6, 2013
    I don't mean to be contrary, Soccerhunter, but UNC only had a 3-back during the entire first half (Gardner left, Bowen center and Satara right... with Jo DM, Darcy AM, Brook left and Cameron right, then Summer left, Bruder at striker, and Amber right...) which is why Tiffany was able to come around to receive those slotted passes around the left. There were a couple of times that she got crosses off, but for the most part, Satara - with her speed - was able to shut her down.

I thought the defense looked great - Katie did a nice job as center back, and Hanna had some really nice passes forward. After the Spirit substituted several players in at the half, they really started to put numbers - and fresh legs - forward and our tiring defenders at one point had 4 or 5 Spirit players pressuring our 3; that's when Anson subbed a couple of our players - including Summer - out and then went to a 4-back with Maya Worth at left back (later he put Danae there).

Without Summer forward, we lost our attacking presence, I thought, and went into more of a defensive stance (and considering the Spirit had so many numbers forward, it made sense...), but the UNC players were clearly exhausted during that second half and found it hard to move through the midfield at all.

I was really encouraged, though, at how our very young team was able to face this pro team and come away having played a very respectable first half. Considering the average age of the UNC players out there were 18-19, and the Spirit players were probably an average age of 26+, I thought they looked great!

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Props to Crystal Dunn.
    The Next Big Thing.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    There might be a bunch of Ohai's out there, but there's only one Kealia Ohai.

6. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #131 Soccerhunter, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Different perceptions... and conclusions, although if I try to go back and re-think the first half with the assumption of a three back I can start to see that, but just can't make sense of the whole picture based on what I saw.

During the run of play in the first half, I made numerous notes trying to get straight what formation we were playing. And I think that the answer to that was a practical matter of what I was seeing on the field. From my observations, more often than not in the first half it was Brooke down in the far corner chasing the Spirit wing forward with Hanna inside, nearer the post. I am aware that in the Heels three back system the outside half does have to come back, but as the half wore on every time I looked up it sure seemed like four backs to me with Hanna playing well inside. So from a practical standpoint (regardless of where they lined up to start the game) we looked to me to be playing with four backs. This was reinforced because Brooke seldom went forward -especially compared to Cameron. (I read my notes and see that I had Brooke at "LH" and then apparently decided she was playing back and crossed out the H and penciled in B.) Further, Jo and Darcy appeared to be occupying the same level on the field, with Jo more on the left in the first half -both of them doing most of their work about 10 yards into the defensive half and passing laterally to each other a lot. (Each of them seemed to challenge Yael about equally when she ventured over into UNC territory.) So again, from a practical point of view, it sure seemed like we were playing with two holding mids. But as I said above, it's one of these perception things. Since I decided about half way through the first half that we were in a 4-2-3-1 formation for all practical purposes, everything in my brain got filtered through that perception from there on in.

What really baffles me is that you say Amber was on the right??? Is sure appeared to me that Cameron was up front on the right and made consistent runs down into the corner, and in my notes I have Amber at left half. Dang, maybe I had a brain fart or can't read my scrawl or I am dyslexic. (If truth be told, Amber just disappeared for me in the first half. Three days later, all I can remember of her is her work on the left side in the second half when she had to step up with Summer gone.)

IN ANY CASE, while we may quibble over game details, we absolutely agree that the young Heels acquitted themselves very well on the night against a pro team with lots of talent. I too am encouraged. We may have lost a bunch of very talented seniors starters (6, with 5 currently on pro rosters, plus a 7th starter in Caitlyn Ball) but we seem to have re-loaded nicely and I am optimistic.

7. wrg1

wrg1 New Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Club:
    Carolina
    I'm going to the Sky Blue scrimmage on Saturday, unless the weather is too awful. Driving from Manhattan. Would anyone like a ride? It looks to be 1.5 to 2 hours from the city.

dick glendon

8. fanosoccer

fanosoccer Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Video from Washington Spirit game

england66 repped this.
  9. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ...Nice video...!! well done...

10. UNCway

UNCway Member

Jun 13, 2012
    UNC d. SkyBlue 2-1. Jo and Emily score. Pretty cool! Congrats, Heels!

11. UNCway

UNCway Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Can anybody tell us about the SkyBlue game?

12. wrg1

wrg1 New Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Club:
    Carolina
    I was the one offering a ride from Manhattan but I wimped out because of the rain. Sorry that I missed the match and regret that I can't report anything.

dick glendon

13. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I only was able to make the second scrimmage to day, but I was thrilled to see it. Anson played the second string players for 3/4 of the game and I am delighted to have gotten a look at the red shirts I had not previously seen.

I understand that the Heels fell to VT in the morning 1-0, but I really do not anything about that game. If the intent was to have the coaching staff take a good look at the scrubs, then I can see VT being able to take advantage of that.

The 11 starting against Pitt at 3:00 was the same team that Anson has been playing against the pros for the las two weeks. (This time I took VERY careful notes of the formation to be sure that there were no errors.) Bryane in goal, four backs (L to R) Hannah, Katie, Brooke, and Satara. Four mids: with Darcy clearly a holding mid playing somewhat right of center (almost a 5th back in front of Brooke), Jo further forward engaged in the offense as an attacking mid and more in the middle, and Amber and Cameron on the left and right respectively. (Watching carefully, it was functionally a 4-1-3-2.) Summer and Emily up top and seemed to be interchangeable left and right which tested the Pitt defense.

It was very clear that all of the backs have been given the license to roam. Center back Katie and right back Satara were frequently in the offensive red zone with Katie getting the first goal of a nice cross by Summer. Bryane was never tested with the back line and Darcy keeping the ball comfortably up field. Poor Pit didn't really have a chance and a few of their players resorted to some obvious pulling and aggressive play. (They had just finished up a 1-0 victory over VT and were tired.)

Midway through the first half the "Blue Team" came in for the rest of the contest. Lindsey Harris in goal. 4 backs were Maya Worth, Taylor Ramirez, Nikki Romero, and Danae O'Halloran. Deep mids were Amanda Rooney and Sash Firstenberg. Then from left to right were Reilly Parker, Vicky Bruce, and Jenny Chiu (although Vicky and Sash seemed to alternate positions.) The single striker was Paige Neilsen. (I'd functionally call it a 4-2-3-1.) Amanda scored the next goal taking through pass and making a nice move to beat the last back for a clear run at the goal for a nice finish. Next it was Vicky's turn on a nice finish on a diagonal run to the right side to intercept a short pass and score. After half time, Paige had a very nice solid finish from a cross from the right corner by Danae.

Of the non-starters, I'd give the nod for the strongest player to Nikki Romero. She looks great at center back. Confident, strong, great decision making, and excellent at dribbling out of pressure. I think that the U-18 experience has done wonders for her. (Too bad she couldn't play with that team this spring because of her toe injury.) But there was a lot of good play out there. Danae could be an excellent outside back in time. She appears to not yet be as fit as she needs to be following her two ACL injuries over the last few years but she clearly has the tools. Sash Firstenberg looked very good as did Reilly Parker although Parker's decision-making was at times inconsistent. Maya Worth looked solid, but it appears as though it will take some more time to get her the experience she needs to be a confident player coming off the bench with regard to decisions. Jenny Chui had flashes of brilliance, but suffers from needing to add a few pounds (as she was bumped off the ball repeatedly) and she tended to take that "one extra touch" and loose the ball in traffic from time to time.... But she has great potential. I always love seeing Vicky Bruce play as she has such a great soccer brain. And speaking of soccer brains, Paige is fun to watch for that reason too, and she is quicker than Vicky. ...And what a pleasure to see Taylor out there. She played very well at center back. No bad decisions, good field awareness, and good solid technique.

No more time for me to write further even though my head is full of observations.... A fun afternoon.

england66 repped this.
  14. fanosoccer

fanosoccer Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was at the first game. It was a very strange game. The starters played most of the game, very few subs. (This made the reserves fresh and they dominated Pitt in the second game.) The intentions were good, but the execution not so much. A certain pass would be the right thing to do under the situation, but it would be too short or too long. The connection between the players was off. It was a grass field and I heard some of the girls comment after the game, that the field played slow compared to the turf they are use to. The hustle was there individually, but the play of the game as a whole was slow. Va Tech was aggressive and it was a very physical game. The refs for the most part let them play and could have called many more fouls then were called. Va Tech's lone goal was on a defensive breakdown all the way around. The Va. Tech player received a great ball on the left side and was not marked, beat the defense and caught Bryane out of position. She as at the near post and the girl shot it low at the far post. It was a nice finish. I don't know the name of the girl that scored. UNC had some chances offensively, but again were high or wide, just little off. I don't remember who all shot or how many shots there were total. Lindsey had 2 great saves - one was a shot that hit the cross bar and bounced down into the field of play and she dove on it before it could spin into the goal or get kicked in. The second was a one on one and the girl shot it low and hard and she was able to judge the angle and save it. I don't remember much else and don't take notes. I am sure someone more attentive can give more details.

15. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #141 Soccerhunter, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    Hmm, ...A day later and some more thoughts before they escape the sieve that masquerades as my brain. --First, although you could have added up the goals in my account, I should have said that the score of the second (Pitt) game was 4-0. And thanks, fanosoccer, for the very good report on the first game.

On Formation....

Of particular interest, there was no sign of a 3-back defense from the Heels yesterday. Neither from the starting 11 or the "Blue Team" which played most of the game. This is what I saw two weeks ago against the Washington Spirit, (although NWSLfan saw it differently) and so I was especially careful to note the pre-kickoff line up formations as well as the run of play. Yesterday, it was clearly 4 backs for the 6 times they lined up (2 halves and 4 goals). It may be that the notorious 3 back system is now part of history for the Heels. (Or, at least it is for this spring season.)

The only difference in the formation from a functional point of view was the strikers. For 3/4 of the game it was clear that Paige was the lone striker playing with her back to the goal. For the first quarter of the game, while Bruder was clearly a deep striker, Summer spent a lot of time in the same territory and they often switched sides, so it looked like that they had two strikers, but in thinking about it later I suspect that that appearance was only a factor of Summer's technical dominance of the space and so I am pretty confidant that what I was seeing was a single target forward with Summer as a an ACM --which would match up with what was happening for the other 3/4 of the game with Vicky or Sash playing the ACM role.) So I am confident that this spring Anson has been working on installing a 4-back defense and a single target forward offense.

As to the midfield, I suppose it is what ever you want to call it, but for functional purposes it sure looks like 2 holding mids and a line of three attackers. This would make the entire line up a 4-2-3-1. Or you could easily argue that it is a 4-1-4-1...but who cares? The bottom line is that we have an ACM in the middle of a line of three and we have two mids who tend toward the middle and are clearly stationed between the defensive line and the offensive midfielders. Whether they have equal assignments as the L&R holding mids or if one is told to play up a little and other back a little, I am not sure. (I'll have to watch more to see....)

One thing that this system seems to encourage is getting the backs up into the offense because with two holding mids there are always potentially 6 defenders reasonably handy. Consequently, freeing one to go forward is always tempting. Satara and Katie did so with abandon in the first quarter (with Katie scoring), and Danae and Maya were overlapping to run up the sidelines with regularity starting the middle of the first half. (I recall that Danae used to play right wing on her club team and so is quite adept at taking the ball to the corner and serving it into the box.) And if Nikki continues to show well as a CB, this might lead to all kinds of flexibility with regard to Katie and use her skills to their maximum. Exciting!

Changing subjects, it seems to me that Anson will be platooning keepers in the fall with Bryane and Lindsey sharing duty at least up until tournament time. I should also mention that AD played everyone who was eligible on Saturday. Sarah Thompson and Clay Weaver got significant minutes on the field and Kathleen Connell got some time in the goal.

16. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    OKAAAY... getting ready for the summer doldrums... shall we take a look at former Tarheels playing in the NWSL for the 2014 season?

I note that three NWSL teams each have 4 former Tarheels on their rosters and in each case three of them should start. That would be:

Ohai, Engen, Klingengberg, and Washington at Houston
    Long, Heath, Brooks, and McDonald at Portland
    Averbush, Harris, Dunn, and Gayle at Washington.

Additionally Courtney Jones and HAO are on the Boston roster, Casey Nogueira Lloyd with Kansas City (and Merritt Mathias if we get to claim her too), Lori Calupny in Chicago, and, of course, Megan Brigman in Seattle.

Although I am not optimistic, I have not yet heard if either Meg Morris or Adelade Gay made the team at Washington.

Am I missing anyone?

These 17 players tie the same high watermark as achieved in 2010 when we also had 17 players in the WPS. 5 of those 2010 professionals have retired, so the Tarheels have re-stocked those ranks admirably.

But how many additional Heels are playing pro overseas at this time?

17. JerseyFootball

Dec 15, 2012

Whitehill on Boston Breakers, captain I believe.

18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the Thorns' games in Arizona, McDonald may do really well in Portland. And, Washington may have found a good place as an outside defender in Houston.

19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    I really enjoy the 'first hand' accounts of the games but feel I must mention this...something I always go over with the parents of the kids I coach prior to the start of each season.....'Soccer is the easiest game in the world to play....while sitting in the stands'....

20. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    NO argument there at all!

This goes back to the not infrequent discussions as to what is appropriate for fans on these boards to say in terms of any criticism of players. It is clear to me that credit must always be given to players as diligently doing the best they can and trying their hardest. Further, the skills that they exhibit and the decisions they make second by second on the pitch must be respected in the same light. These are amateur players who are giving their all to their team. It is with tremendous gratitude that I as a fan get to watch exciting and interesting soccer being played courtesy of these skilled athletes and (every time I have checked) genuinely nice young women. All this being said, in order for conversation not to be completely meaningless one must reasonably be able to describe what is (was) there for everyone in the stands to see. But in doing so there must be sensititivity to the good faith effort being made and the the exhibition of skill that we in the stands could not realistically ever match ourselves. I personally, would be beaming with pride if any one of these players were my daughter (er, grand daughter)!

21. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    UNC girls just wanna have fun:

22. fanosoccer

fanosoccer Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    NWSL final rosters come out today so we will know for sure. From what I hear, Meg Morris signed with Sky Blue after being let go by Washington, not because Washington did not want her, but just did not have the space. Kelly McFarlane signed with the Houston Dash and will start playing with them when she graduates at the end of the month. Anna Sieloff signed and is playing for Cloppenberg in the Frauen Bundesliga. The last Washington roster had Gay on it, we will know later today if she made the cut.

23. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    UNC schedule posted....and it does not disappoint with Stanford, UCLA, Ohio State, Arkansas, and Pepperdine all on the non con docket.....great schedule

24. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Yes, indeed, a very attractive schedule. Great choices for rpi assistance from the non conference Teams. ...But some notes.

The total regular season games are now down to 16. It wasn't that long ago that 20-season games were routine, and then with the conference tournament and the NCAA tournament, they had the possibility to go into the mid 20s or even to 28. (The Heels have played 28-game seasons multiple times, most recently in 2008.) Last season they had 19 regular season games. Is this a purposeful trend starting just a one year fluke? Certaily with only 6 non-conference games, the rpi of the ACC will suffer a little.

Also, an ACC tournament with only two rounds? They are really going to select the top 4 from 14 teams?? Wow. Not there is a change!