Un Français à Rome ** The Coaching Tread **

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
  2. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Loved this part, hope it comes out in English as well.

Deand21594 and Midfield General repped this.
  3. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    I sincerely hope he sticks around in Rome for a long time. Lot's of class, this fella.

Midfield General repped this.
  4. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, me too, according to the excerpts from the book, he should be with us for a long time... "The American leadership wants him (Garcia) to become “our Ferguson”.

Just hope its true... He isn't perfect and has a lot to learn when it comes to big matches as evidenced over the past week... but what he has done with us is nothing short of a miracle...

whill4, Oban14 and Midfield General repped this.
  5. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concur. He has a lot to learn but hopefully he grows with this team and is around a very long time!

6. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem will be patience. Garcia can be THE guy. I am convinced. However, do fans have the patience to let him and management stay on and build something for a long time? Can we sit on a subpar season - hell a subpar month in Italy - and say that he is still our guy? I am not convinced Italians have the necessary patience to put faith in a coach for an extended period of time. I mean Spalletti - who was beloved - was dumped after a poor start to a season. If Garcia can provide a Scudetto - that changes it. Fans will give a lot of leeway. But if we're only competitive for a Scudetto or if we are only competitive for CL spots (because Serie A will be so ridiculously competitive for the next few years) - I can see patience waning.

7. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    We did keep Spaletti for 4 years which is saying something.

8. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol exactly my point. Ferguson coached in 4 decades.

9. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    lol Well this is Italy. Coaches also end up leaving for better opportunities.

PSG just hired a new coach and are inquiring about Rudi. The big sugar daddies are sharks when it comes to talent.

10. Ragnaroz

Ragnaroz Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Paracin
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    Spaletti was fired after losing the dressing room because of his negotiations with Roman.

Wolfbeatseagle repped this.
  11. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I want to see Rudi adapt to a different formation when his squad player's attributes call for it. Not that it's completely necessary for success, but I would like to see some versatility from him if and when key players become injured in their roles. Right now the only variation is pushing Destro up, and having Totti play false 9 where the wingers have more (theoretically) responsibility to make off-the ball runs (looking at you Ljajic).

12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Two formations is enough to master for now. We don't have players to do much more anyway

whill4 repped this.
  13. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #113 porreca, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    That was all Rosella, Luciano left because she never bought him the players he asked for and got us a couple younguns and a broken keeper.... after Aquilani was sold... it was a huge slap to the face to him, she wanted him gone so she could use him as a scapegoat to her failure as an owner... When he knew he had his hands tied, he decided to leave.

Spalletti: Canterò sempre l'inno della Roma

He looked so sad... Sounded even sadder...

I remember crying that day... Losing him was probably the loss that hurt me the most in the time I have followed AS Roma, even more than Aquilani's...

14. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's unlikely but I hope there is an English version.

Also hope the management are serious about keeping him long term. Even if things aren't always this sunny.

15. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, it took a long time for him to actually get fired, but yeah, the players took a huge issue with him going to interview in the middle of a season. The timing wasn't great either. We had gotten off to a rough start, and whether or not the willingness to interview was related to the struggles, the players seem to get peeved at the implication that he would just jump ship so easily.

Rudi is a similar, player's manager type guy, but he wouldn't lose the locker room by going for an interview. The way Spalletti did that was slimy, and I would expect Rudi to be up front with his players should he ever entertain an offer. Also, thankfully, Rudi does not lose half of his roster in training sessions. The Spalletti death marches were hard on our seasons.

I just don't think Rudi will be here more than two or three years because that's the nature of football these days. Sir Alex came up in a way different era with way more grounded expectations. The expectations surrounding Roma and Italian clubs in general are far from grounded.

16. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With Rosella as club owner, you can't blame him for looking for something else... when you ask for two defenders and a goal keeper and you receive two 15 year olds and a broken keeper...

17. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 'things aren't great' sob story wouldn't/probably didn't work for Totti, De Rossi, and Panucci. All three of them could have jumped ship to just about anywhere (except for probably Panucci), and they seemed to think Spalletti was on board with them. It's not the interview that did it; it was the way it happened that broke the bromance.

18. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's okay for now.

19. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    ? What teams do you know that play multiple different formations, most managers never get around to building one solid formation were the team mastered all areas, defense, build up and attack. Hence why they get sacked. I don't understand your point. What you're saying or wanting to happen is almost/is impossible for a side of our resources, the only side I know who did that was Bayern last year

20. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think that too. He will be here for 2-3 seasons, build a solid foundation, take us to CL consistently but eventually fail to win something meaningful and the management by then will look for someone more established..maybe Ancelotti.

21. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe I'm asking for too much.

22. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even know how you can come to that conclusion right now. The guy has lost two games and is on course to steer Roma to one of their best seasons point wise. And doing so without depth or any quality finishers. Any other year Roma would be on course to winning a scudetto.

Juve will not keep this form up forever. Eventually they will hit a rough patch like all teams do. They also have a lot of players who are entering the twilight of their careers.

Goduerza and Vulpinous repped this.
  23. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Of course any talk about the future is a wild guess at this point. My prediction based on the few things I have seen. I doubt he will find it as easy from now on considering Serie A coaches are becoming more familiar with his approach and the fact that so far he seems to be somewhat rigid and lacking flexibility in certain situations. Also the manner we lost those two games I think signify that Roma still suffer from the same fragile mentality and lack the winning edge. All that was also the highlight of Spalletti's Roma, hence my analogy.

Not taking anything away from the marvellous job he has done, just predicting that in few years our ambition will be bigger than what he can offer.

I hope I will be proven wrong as I genuinely like the guy.

whill4 repped this.
  24. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think his ambition matches our own and as he ages his ability will grow with experience. I would be more worried its the other way round and its the club that can't keep him

25. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I hope that's true but it will all depend on how he learns from his mistakes and evolves with his tactics. If he gets stuck with his 4-3-3 (the exact same he used at Lille as well) he will eventually become dull and predictable the same way Spalletti's 4-2-3-1 was in his later days.

At this point I have more trust in the management continuing to make the club bigger but I hope Garcia grows at similar pace. I really do.