Putin and the Russian invasion of Ukraine

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by JBigjake, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Now that he is a free man he can go where fashion fits.....:whistling:

[​IMG]

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Presumably "cream/creem" has the same sexual цоннотатион ин Руссиам, с ин English?

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Jake, that's terrible. :)

There's not sexual connotation at all, just phonetic.

5. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if there will be a Russian version of The Bachelor to find his next bride...
    I hate to admit, but I'd watch that. lol

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    No, though what language is that?!?! Must be Ukranian ;) :p

7. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not to go all conspiracy theorist, and perhaps this thought should go in its own thread, but do you think the Defense/Space industry is rooting for a Cold War II?
    you think there's some scare-mongering on the part of NASA and their contractors to get a larger bite of the budget pie to develop its own engines and rockets for getting to the ISS and beyond?

8. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this actually makes perfect sense.

guignol repped this.
  9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish they had asked respondents to identify Russia on a map as well. I can imagine that a person who thinks the Ukraine is in South America is acting rationally if they think Russia is also in South America. They're stupid, but they're rational.

10. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
  11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Moishe repped this.
  12. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sure, why not. let them get bogged down in another insurgency and drain their already weak economy. whatever it takes to recover the lost glory of Mother Russia.

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #888 JBigjake, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    How about the oil/energy industry? Oil prices would probably skyrocket. Russia is demanding that Ukraine pay its $2 Billion natural gas bill & threatening to raise the price 80%, money Ukraine does not have.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26902522
    One well placed explosive device would close the trans-Ukraine pipeline, and make western Europe our bitches for natural gas.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...-american-natural-gas-seeks-markets-overseas/
    Probably get Keystone approved, as well.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/202448-hoeven-come-may-gop-will-move-on-keystone

14. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
  15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #890 JBigjake, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...ity-set-to-rise-17-percent-on-plant-expansion
    "Algeria’s gas exports dropped 11% last year to 45 billion cubic meters ... peaked in 2005 at 65 billion cubic meters and have declined since as local consumption increased 40% while production fell 12%."
    Algeria's production also subject to interruption:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/algeria-gas-plant-attack/#igImgId_73604

16. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I remember that attack. The Algerians were caught by surprise but ended the standoff without outside help. They crushed their own local Islamist insurgency & there really hasn't been a peep out of it since.
    More importantly there are gas pipelines under the Med & it is much easier to ship natural gas by pipeline than by boat.

17. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then again, forget NASA. I wonder what the hell this thing is up to...

18. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sadly, Russian annexation of Eastern Ukraine is also looking more and more like a foregone conclusion.
    it's looking more and more like a replay of the events that occurred in Crimea, and will likely have the same results.
    it's hard to believe that in this modern age, this kind of thing can occur in the developed world, between modern (relatively), industrialized nations.
    while Crimea was a very special case and had a unique historical and military/political relationship to Russia, it's hard to argue the same for Eastern Ukraine. you have to believe that the West will take a significantly tougher stance if Russia annexes Ukraine. probably still not military, but definitely more severe sanctions which will probably hurt the Russian economy a lot more. makes you wonder what kind of misguided "restoring the glory of mother Russia" quixotic quest Putin is on and how it will end. methinks it will not end well for Russia.
    also, with China making noise in a similar vein in their "sphere of influence" - it's looking like a new, multi-polar world order is finally emerging, where you have several great powers, and neither is strong enough to do as they please globally, but all of them can do as they pleas within their own sphere of influence, and the other great powers are not strong enough to stop one-another from doing so.
    kind of reminds me of the balance of power political landscape that emerged in the aftermath of the Congress of Vienna.
    am I way out in left field on this, or do others feel this way about world evens?

19. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just curious how Kiev will react and if Putin would intervene. Worrying scenario.

20. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Putin will intervene (you know, to protect the ethnic Russian population in the unrest that they themselves orchestrated), and Kiev will do nothing about it.
    Ukraine will be the first offering on the altar of great power/balance of power politics.

21. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    given Crimea's isolation from Russia (both geographically and economically), one almost wonders if the annexation of eastern Ukraine became inevitable once Russia annexed Crimea...

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be the biggest war in Europe since 1945. Conventionally it will probably be short, assuming Russia doesn't march on Kyiv, at least from everything I've read as a non military expert. But I am certain that there would be a long and brutal insurgency.

23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some Grozny natives here...they want to have a word with you.

24. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Yeah, they've taken back that demand for a referendum, btw :D

25. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Forgetting about Yugoslavia and Chechnya huh.