UEFA Women's under 17/19 Championship

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Lusankya, Mar 31, 2011.

1. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    WPS_Movement :yes the one with the gold number is the new one, and the second is no more the blue stripes one , is all white now .

2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Also, it is important to note that the girls won't were those shirt at the Olympics as the French branch of CIO the is under contract with Adidas...

3. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Really, I heard about this problem but I still don't think how it's possible ....i mean ,our federation is under contract with Nike , how could Nike let Adidas be the sponsor for such an important event?

4. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    It is impressive that all golden boot winners at the pasts U17 women Euro made their way into the Bundesliga (Maroszan, Krya Malinowski, Annabel Jäger & Lina Magull). So lets see how this years winner Kandidatou Diani (France) and Pauline Bremer (with this name she have joined Werder Bremen ;), but she heads now from her home club Göttingen to the Turbine Potsdam) end up in some years.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Really?
    They wore Nike at the world cup last year.
    Is Adidas a new sponsor starting with this Olympic tournament?
    It's a shame they won't wear the new blue/gold jerseys during the Olympics.

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Adidas is a partner for the France Olympics team in all sport since 1976. This contract superseeds any agreement from the different sports federation with other brand. They also do Team GB for example that will wear Adidas and not Umbro like England..

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    we don't play with Rugby shirts !

8. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Today is the final Spain-Sweden , From what i've seen i think Spain is slightly favourite , but it will be a tough game , the player to watch is spain's alexia putellas in my opinion.

9. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden wins 1-0 in extra time (around 107th minute).

10. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    An underseved victory in my opinion.
    Spain controlled the game from the start ,playing a nice tiki-taka football in their men senior team's style,they kept the ball easily for long time but they forgot to shoot too often....Sweden is what i won't to see in a female team, a negative mentality team, their plan was clear since the beginning....defense,defense,defense!!!.......I mean their lacks of courage was pathetic , is sad to see young girls already all about the result instead of having fun on the pitch . I read their coach interview on the uefa site and a coach who praises defensive mentality for girls at such a young age should return to the male football..........However, Spain has a bright future .

The tournament was better tactically than the last year in my opinion but he ,didn't offer a lot on potential superstar as last year with the likes of rosucci ,wullaret ,simon,wensing ,petzelberger ,lotzen,hansen,fimian etc....this year i would say diaz and hoglander (sweden) , sampedro ,putellas (spain),santos (portugal) impressed me but nothing in particular.

Batfink repped this.
  11. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Have to agree with debzy here. I guess the only way to stop the tiki-takka style of Spanish football, is now the same across both sexes. Sit deep, defend well, and hope for a decent opportunity on a free kick, or break away :(.

Sweden reflected a few of the worst points of the often tactically negative international men's game, but I guess all it does is show the onset of tactical progression, and increased professionalism to win throughout the women's scene, and that should always be regarded as a good thing, and not a bad thing, right :unsure:.

Spain have at least one genuinely elite group of girls right now, but they still have to work on a few more important things before we see them become a perennial threat to Europe's established order. With a little more help from their FA though, who knows what could happen in the next few years, but with them leading the way, at least UEFA should have another serious nation from southern Europe to add to it's women's tournament landscape.

12. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Incorect. Sweden dominated the first 15, then Spain dominated until Sweden scored.

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Sweden (at any age level) is always a good finishing team.
    They might not always outplay you in ball control (by the minute or possession %, or shots, shots on goal, etc), but when it counts most, Sweden is good at delivering. They are a clutch team (see 3rd place match at 2011 WWC, or many wins by one goal in the 2nd half, in their group in the 2011 WWC).

You don't want to get in and stay in a 0-0 game against Sweden late in regulation, or going to extra time. They are certainly the team you don't want to do that against. Sweden can finish around the frame, win balls in the air, head balls on frame or in net, or get rebound scoring opportunities, as well as anyone when it matters most.

I've always thought these were the most clutch nations when the match is tied late in the match, or in extra time (Sweden, USA, Germany, Japan, Australia).

And these are the best nations at finding the equalizer when they're down one goal (USA, Japan, Australia, New Zealand). Yes, New Zealand has come-back power in them. They came back from 1-0 against Japan in the 2011 WWC to tie the match at 1-1 (but then lost 2-1). They came back against Mexico to draw that match in the WWC. And we know all about the comeback performances from the Never Say Die Matildas (Australia) in the past.

The worst nations in a 0-0 match late in regulation, in extra time, or in penalty kicks (Brazil, Canada, England, North Korea). Those are the nations that find ways to lose close low scoring matches more so than they win it seems, in big tournament settings. Basically, Brazil is the kind of team that can blow you away if they're on top of their game (4 goal victory over USA in 2007 WWC Semifinal, and 3 goal victory over Germany in 2008 Olympics). But if they get in a close match in a Quarterfinal, Semifinal, or Final, against USA, Germany, etc, they seem to always lose.

France is a team that can win by multiple goals when they're clicking, even against good teams.
    If they are tied late in the game, that's not often a good thing for them, because of their defense and goalkeeping, which negates their great offense in those close matches late in the match.

Gilmoy repped this.
  14. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SORRY can't delete the first message which I sent using my phone :confused:

That's all nice, but this is youth football, and at youth level your always looking for the trends we should expect to see in the future, and the trends we saw from this tournament aren't anything like we expect to see in the seniors; well not just yet any way :cautious:.

Sweden have never done much at this level, and considering the reputation of their senior women, this lack of success had always come across as a very odd occurrence. So seeing the Swedes negative tactical approach for the final was quite disappointing, versus a relative novice like Spain, when they themselves have a national program with capabilities for creating quality players, that can all play good football too, even if it meant often failing at age group level tournaments like this one.

The other factor which makes any senior level resemblance negligible, is of course the new breed nature of Spain, and their female equivalent of tikki-takka. Their whole footballing philosophy is still something rarely seen at any level of the women's game, and in this scenario, perceived national characteristics actually go right out the window. We all got to see this with both teams actually showing their desire not to lose, was significantly greater than their desire to win, in any traditional characteristic sense of the word come the final, so :unsure:.

15. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So in your opinion a team that dominated 15 minutes out of 120 deserved to win......
    The teams with the most growing fans around the world are France and Japan , that is because they play an attractive , positive, attacking minded, technical, organized football....we can say their version of the tikki/takka.......These two teams have earned a lot of respect on the men side too because they innovated by bringing the true nature of this game ,france and japan showed what women football must do to increase his popularity around the globe .....Spain are in the good way , however Sweden catenaccio ,is pushing us back .

16. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I get what your saying, but I would give Sweden the benefit of the doubt this time around.

They attempt, and often do display a more progressive and attractive game at the senior level, but their relative lack of success at youth level, really seemed to drive them to play a more negative brand of football this time, just to finally obtain the victory when it mattered most.

17. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I hope so Batfink, I hope it was a one-off, but the interview of their coach really worry me.....

18. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    o_O Why, what did he say?

If I'm not mistaken, Sweden were the competitions top scorers (including qualification rounds), so I can't imagine that they accomplished all of that by deploying the same tedious tactics we saw in the final.

19. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    No, I never said that. I just pointed out that you eitehr was mistake or lied when you claimed Spian dominated the whole game.

20. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    In the tourmanet at least they pretty much did, waiting for opponents misstakes punishing those and then use a strong counter-attack play when the opponets had to attack.
    This tactics seem to be particular age bracket and is most likley based on the coach experince in a earlier EuroChampionship (for the same age bracket) where he lost. At least he claims that he changed the tactics after that and used to a more sucefull one with stronger defense. I am guessing finding and looking at that game would show the reason for this change.

21. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    http://www.uefa.com/womensunder19/news/newsid=1841039.html
    Seems like there is a strong change in Sweden football mentality unfortunately.
    @ Janbalk, I started my game recap with "in my opinion".....so from MY point of view Spain dominated the game. So, instead of call me a liar ,you should better read my sentence first.....;)
    Anyway, i am not even spanish so why should I be biased ?

22. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    :confused: OK, now I know why you don't believe now, but I can only say that the Swedish coach sounds like he was suffering from the early symptoms of heat stroke in that UEFA post match interview :rolleyes:.

Sweden obviously have some very technical players within their various age groups, but by favouring defensive tactics which would hopefully nullify their opponent, Sweden's U-19's didn't really get to show all the good things they can do in front of a TV audience.

The coach says quite clearly that he wanted to win at all costs, to make up for past faluires, and that's exactly what they did in the end, but I agree with you when you say it's still disappointing to see this mentality already creeping into the women's game, and especially within the younger age groups.

I doubt Sweden's U-19 victory will lead them to them adopting a similar style at every level, in the search of finding similar success, but I still want to give Sweden's U-19 coach the benefit of the doubt, because it's the first time I have ever seen them deploy such tactics in a major youth event too.

23. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Netherlands forward Vivianne Miedema ,16 years old, scored 18 goals in three matches :eek: for Netherlands u17.
    Netherlands beats Montenegro 15~0, Ukraine 16~0 and Kazakhstan only 11~0.....