UEFA Women's under 17/19 Championship

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Lusankya, Mar 31, 2011.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Sad news about one of Scotland U19 player Chloe Arthur as her dad was named as one of the victims in the helicopter crash in Glasgow. RIP.

Batfink and gricio61 repped this.
  2. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And here highlights of Italy-Portugal:

debzy and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  3. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol, and now Germany got a 4:0 beating by Spain. Okay, they fielded the b squad and probably wanted to face Italy more than hosts England, but it's still very weak. :confused:

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I attended France v Scotland today, quite cold to be honest and some good football from both side. The press conference was very interesting, I need to write everything down but the French coach mentioned a couple of time some non football related problems which was bizzare.

5. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    What kind of non football problems ? :unsure:

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I have no clue, I think he meant injuries because we had too many and used 3 GK in 3 games for example and the whole starting defense missed the competition.

7. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well Sehan was playing , Meier and Walkling too...a lil bit strange for a B team don't you think:whistling:......Anyway it seems like Jasmin Sehan is injured and it could be serious...:( . Can't wait to watch the semi-final , they'll be very interesting .

9. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Euro U17 Semi-final:
    England - Spain : 0-3
    Germany - Italy : 1-0

I was expecting England to lose but not by three goals to zero , I am a bit surprised , anyway according to UEFA statistics the Spanish completely dominated the game .....23 goals attempts to 5 , they hit three times the woodwork....it looks like England was lucky to concede only three goals.....
    I watched Germany-Italy , a good football game not very spectacular but with both team well coached , tactically two good teams (very positively surprised by the italians). I have to say I was a lil bit disappointed by the germans , I was definitely expecting more , as a team they were compact and dominated Italy in the first half but I was expecting more from the individuals . I knew Jasmin Sehan but not very well so I was excited to watch her during a whole game and even though she didn't had a great one , she showed some glimpse of pure class , a superstar potential for sure . Germany left flank has two players which easily could be among my favourites in the future as both had what I want for female footballers , athletism , technique and stamina , LB Leonie Stenzel got it all in abundance but LW Laura Widak even more her great dribbling ability remind of a young Bajramaj (but at least 5 cm taller)...great ball control , creativity , terrific in 1vs1...that girl is something special , I am sure about it , easily player of the match . The others don't seems to be that good or may be as they beat us 4 -0 I was expecting 11 phenomenon ...:rolleyes: . Italy was a very positive surprised , I understand now why the french coach said in the interview not long ago that they could reach the final , the italians didn't started well but seeing their facial expression I think they were too scared due the importance of the game . However , they had a very good organisation , good coaching from Sbardella , they somehow manage to resist the germans in the first half and were way better in the second when Manuela Giugliano (great technical abilities ) finally woke up . I liked some individuals , CB Lisa Boattin , LB Marta Vergani very short but tenacious but as even the eurosport journalist said their best player is Federica Cavicchia HM , a deep-lying playmaker very good passer and sensational tactical intelligence , I think I never saw such a young girl with already a so high positional sense , her presence is fundamental for the team .
    One thing is sure Spain-Germany will be a great final .

SiberianThunderT and gricio61 repped this.
  10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Spain and England played their usual football : technical and passing football on one side and work rate on the other side. And guess what ? Work rate didn't win.

To be honest it was like watching England under Hope Powell once Spain scored the first goal. No plan B at all. Spain scored a direct corner for the 3rd goal as well. Not an humiliation but certainly some question about producing players that can play football rather than run for England.

11. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good analysis, Debzy, spot on ! :thumbsup:
    I would add that Italy would have been more dangerous putting in earlier Marinelli and Serturini, instead of a slow and involved Piemonte (the masked player), the only disappointing Azzurrina yesterday IMHO...anyway italians obvously lacked a bit on the fitness side (although the difference towards Germany hasn't been so striking) and about 10 cm average in height that would helped them on long crosses...overall a rather good performance that gives hopes for the 3th place match next Sunday.

12. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With increasing numbers of the worlds most recognised development centres for football, now opening their doors to help accelerate the rising the standard of professionalism in the women's game, I think we'll only continue to see more resemblance between various wnt's, and their nations male counterparts.

This is why England aren't able to magically create female youth players, equal or superior to a Spanish wnt program, finally paying more attention to their female youth right now, even though the Spanish girls have decades to go before having anything in place, to match the domestic structures/money currently helping the English girls move forward.

So without the necessary athletic advantages, to effectively work a direct style vs tactically/technically astute opposition, England at all level's, and in both sexes, without evil Hope Powell's influence...:rolleyes: will always revert to playing in straight lines, because that unfortunately for them, is their only plan B right now.

13. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @debzy I don't understand why anybody would be surprised with the ability of Spain's girls at this particular age group, when without always lifting the trophy, they've consistently been well regarded as Europe's best team on show, for every UEFA U-17 finals tournament Jorge Vilda has been able to showcase his nations latest crop of talents.

Plus on Sehan, wasn't she supposed to be seriously injured vs Spain...:unsure:, so I'm not really sure what she was doing out on the field vs Italy.

For the final day's play, I'm guessing Italy will take UEFA's last WC spot now, but after the 4-0 (could have been more..o_O) beat-down Spain handed out to Germany in the group stage, it will be interesting to see how both coaches look to approach the final, given how each team enjoys dominating the ball, and don't really have the players to be effective using a bunker (aka deep defensive set up), to then break quickly on opponent's.

14. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I said I was surprised because actually England scored 6 goals against Portugal , so I was expecting a result more closer...but you're right , Spain seems to be a machine at youth level ,even more than Germany lately .
    I read about Sehan injury on UEFA site , even german coach said that it could be serious , thanks they were all wrong .
    Italy is a good team (probably better than England but to beat the host nation two times at home , and the second time being a decisive match is very very difficult , almost the same goes to Spain -Germany , to be the germans two times in the same tournament will be very very hard .

gricio61 repped this.
  15. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I find it funny how Spain's coach keeps talking down the ability of his own team, and everybody else seems comfortable going along with German reputation at older levels, rather than taking a look at their recent performances within this particular U-17 age group...:confused:

Don't believe the Spanish subterfuge, they know their ever bit Germany's equal when it comes to U-17 women's football...:sneaky:

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Italy beat England 4-3 on pens and will go the World Cup. FT 0-0.
    The France manager was right, he said after the Scotland game that Italy, Spain and Germany would go to the WC.

17. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ohhhhhhh England and PK's again...:speechless:

Well I didn't expect England to force a 0-0 and PK's, but would it be unfair to say at least the team people expected to win (because they were better..:cautious:) came through in the end...?

18. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, I guess based on the prerequisites, these are the three strongest U-17 teams from Europe. Also considering the US and Brazil are missing out, I expect Germany and Spain to reach the semi finals. Although the Asian teams are most likely favorites to win this.

19. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    What is it with England and penalties?

20. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    ... and at the end, Germany wins... ;) Superior mental once again. Football culture. All is said.

21. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But this Spain actually seem to be the better team. I wonder if they can repeat France 2012; losing to Germany during the EURO final on penalties and then win the world cup?

Btw. the last final between Germany U19 and Spain U19 from 2009. Now, THAT was a good German team, just look at the names. :thumbsup:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bItzA8dnHIE

22. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
  23. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Congratulations Germany but the best team was Spain . What a team !! the Iberian nation is slowly but surely becoming a massive actor in the women football landscape , they don't have many super players yet but the way they play is just amazing , pure entertainment , for those who like an intelligent , highly technical , offensive minded , possession based football , as I do , to see them play will be (and already is tbh) a pure joy for the eyes !
    Talking about the final , I never saw a German team to be put on its back foot like today....sometimes making them looks like amateur:eek: , keeping Sehan and Widak very quite , but as against Sweden in the Euro U19 final two years ago , the spanish don't know yet how to "finish" an opponent...forgetting to kick on goal too often , and things like this happens...as they happened two years ago...too bad really as they clearly deserved to win .
    Is hard to single out individuals but I'd say for the germans I liked the back four and the rw Ehegotz , for Spain all team really , they all have a bright future in the game .

SiberianThunderT and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  24. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    It`s a shame what happened to Malinowski. She could have developed to the greatest (german) striker of all times :cry: I wonder what she is doing now?

And Sarholz....:cool: A year later she would have that legendary performance against Lyon in the CL Final, when she was playing like a snotty little kid, who had fun when it was time for the penalties:D

p.s. congratz to the german u17 team. keeping up the german tradition, never to be counted out :whistling:

Gromit06 repped this.
  25. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And, a bit late, highlights of the England-Italy match for bronze:

Funny to see the Italian GK who, after saving 2 PKs, misses her own chance...luckily everything went well for Azzurrine at the end...:)

blissett repped this.