UEFA WCL 2011-12: CSHVSM, PK-35, K/G, LdB, wtf?

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    After pondering it, I think I prefer guignol's "moron".

2. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    We're a civilised Rivalry, after all.

3. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    "the truth is this : for alarmingly large portions of the average day, i am a moron."

or

:D"So there, you idiot" :p.

o_O Seriously, after reading those two posts, what was there to ever ponder? It's like pondering the comedic sophistication of 'Home Alone' versus 'Dr. Strangelove', lol :redface:.

4. Flea2009

Flea2009 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Kirkcaldy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    An unwillingness to work on my college report has lead me to discover that the finals will be shown tomorrow morning on on GolTV in the US and Mexico. Also the Eurosport Asia and Australia will show it live.

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well in that case i won't tell you what happens,especially since there's no R in the the month, err, thread title.

6. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yes yes, it's been a month, but I have just now had time and opportunity to take a look at the program for the final. The whole thing is 50 pages long, printed on heavy paper, and smells great.

A two-page puff piece called 'Great Germans' lists ten players who've helped German teams to win 6 out of ten of the UEFA competitions. The usual suspects are on this list — Prinz, Grings, Jones, Lingor... Pohlers, of course, who admits in print "I was born like that!"... Sarholz also makes the list for her outstanding work in 2010's shoot-outs against Duisburg and Lyon... but sitting right up there in the first spot is Bajramaj, because of her 'trademark spectacular style'. Really?

The short player descriptions for Frankfurt players include these gems:
    Bartusiak: "... has long been an integral member of the national team..." Cough, cough. Yes, that's what all the other national teams think too.
    Smisek: "Once part of the devastating 'Keks and Krümel' (cookie and crumb) strike partnership with Birgit Prinz... Smisek's pace is not what it once was but her skill has enabled her to carve out a new role in midfield." First, I want to know who was the cookie and who was the crumb; second, ouch! On the next page, in a longer interview, she admits that the other players call her "grandma" but it's okay because she knows it's "meant nicely".
    Bajramaj: "... one of the world's most prominent and skilful players, fulfilling an equally prominent role for club and country." Well, sure, after all she's a 'great German'.
    Landström: "Tall and quick, the Swedish international striker is equally dangerous with both feet." Technically true...

One small beef I have is that there's a lot of space devoted in the program to the topic of how much better women's football is now, as opposed to any time you care to name in the past. I'm not necessarily arguing the truth value of the statement, just that it seems odd to repeat it so much in the program to the final match.

7. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LOL, talk about not knowing the subject matter your bullsh*ting your way through. The description of Landstom is......:laugh:, and Bartusiak o_O.

Unfortunately it's the way of everything, so it's no surprise women's football will be evaluated using the same methodology. Saying that though, would Germany 2012 beat Germany 2003....:unsure:. Would Frankfurt 2012 get close to Frankfurt 2002....:thumbsdown:.

8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    ummm, the place for those discussion is right over there... no, farther... a little to your left (no, your other left)... back, back... just a little farther...

right there.

call us when you're done.

9. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Brinngggg Brinngggg, Brinnggg Brinnggg. Whoooo, sorry guignol :notworthy:, thanks for that mate...:rolleyes: I got completely off track with that one. While I'm here though, vanquished to the wilderness of the far left confines of this thread, could I just say something in an attempt to return the atmosphere of Rivalry back to normal.........up yours. No actually piss off, that's better right?

All's well that ends well :whistling:.

10. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy