PBP: UEFA CL Semifinal Leg 1 | FC Bayern München v FC Barcelona | 23 April 2013 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Messi will score two goals tomorrow.

soji22 repped this.
  2. Trillz

Trillz Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna II
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hmm...this is something that I'd overlooked but the more I think about it, the more sound it seems. Not only would it provide for a experienced and astute defender (and a bit of height), but would also let us form that back three of Abidal, (Bartra), and Pique when Dani does bomb forward. Obviously Abidal's fitness would be key as I doubt he's gonna be started after playing his first full 90 minutes only 3 days prior.

3. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I hope.

4. Rojinegro1

Rojinegro1 Member+

Jun 26, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah especially with Bayern Barcelona should be wary of having two full backs that attack, regardless of who plays they should do something akin to Milan, although of course it will be different since Milan was out to defend and Bayern will try and impose their game.

5. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    i would love to see abidal play a part at some point. but alba has been our best defender this season by some distance, so if abidal does come on it'll be for bartra, as a CB where his lack of match fitness will be less exposed than at fullback where he would be lining up directly against robben or ribery.

MavadoDribblez repped this.
  6. R.Baggio

R.Baggio Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Abidal's fitness is surely a major concern. What's equally or perhaps more concerning for me is the potential of playing both of Alves and Alba. They are both fantastic going forward but they both leave much to desired defensively. Combine that with the fact that Barca plays with a single defensive midfielder and you'll find no adequate cover for that weakness. Add to that the sheer speed and overall quality of Bayern's wingers; and a pair of central midfielders who are more than capable of making the decisive pass and your centre backs may find themselves facing the storm all alone. My point is, Alves is good; Alba is good; the two of them together, in this match particularly, I'm afraid can be disastrous.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

7. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    I really hope Abidal plays tomorrow in that CB spot. He already has the green light for quite a while and I'm see no reason why he can't play yet at a high level, honestly in the few games he has played he seemed extremelly good and gives that security that we have been mising for God knows how long in our backline. Bartra is great but I cannot imagine him dealing very well with the tremendous offensive power of Bayern, specially in air balls from corners when Gomes or Van Buyten goes up every single time trying to win headers from corners or FK's.

My Lineup:

---------- Valdes
    Alvez-- Abidal-- Pique -- Alba
    ----------Busquets
    ---Xavi---------- Iniesta
    Pedro----- Messi------ Villa

If things are not looking too good i'd sub in Alexis for a whole half for Villa or Pedro.

8. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I quite like this whole "not expected to win" feeling about the game tonight. This is how usually teams feel when they play Barca. It's quite liberating and relaxing. I expect Bayern to knock us out because defensively we are not good enough, imho, but that might just free up the Barca team as for once the pressure will be on the opposing side.

inswinger repped this.
  9. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think that Alba was stellar defensively against Milan and PSG. Earlier in the season I definitely feel like he and Alves were playing poor defensively, because they were so far up the pitch. Now, I would only classify Alves as having defensive issues, especially in the Champions League. I don't think Alves would be benched for this one though, given the state of our backline. I would like Abidal to play if he is fit, but I don't know if he will be cleared to play the full 90. Maybe he can play a half.

I'd like to see AMP (Alexis-Messi-Pedro) up front. VISCA EL BARCA.

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So many articles saying Messi condition is still up in the air

11. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He'll play, take it from me.;)

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Looks like the plan is to keep Bayern wondering guessing. Even if he plays, I doubt he will be 100% and may play very cautious without the ball. That's my guess anyways ...

13. SOCCERMARINE

SOCCERMARINE Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The time is now my fellow Cules. God be with us onto the Final

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It's funny, because lets imagine that Arsenal kept their 2010 team together and that Bayern met Arsenal in the CL this season. Cesc and Song would be 2 of the major strengths of the team and also "keys" for Arsenal to advance (along with RVP, of course). And it would be a competitive match-up too! Yet here these 2 probably won't even start for Barca! :laugh:

Food for thought. :)

Gilmango and os_mutante repped this.
  15. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    screen-capture-1.jpg

Dhajj repped this.
  16. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That wouldn't surprise me...

17. R.Baggio

R.Baggio Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Taking into consideration that he's not fully fit, one would expect him to score two goals only;).

18. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Win or lose, these are exactly the kinda matches I wanna watch. High stakes, tough opponents. Pain or euphoria. Fully expecting tonight's match to see one goal gap max only though, making the Camp Nou leg the decider, but still.

My prediction: 1-2 for us.

soji22 repped this.
  19. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I've always loved Villa. Like Messi, he is a big game player. Notwithstanding his indifferent recent performances, we all know that he can deliver when Barca needs him. I like the idea of bringing on Alexis Sanchez as a second half sub...

20. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'd take that. I think it's very important that Barca score at least one goal tonight. A 0-0 draw would be tricky because it would mean that we would have to be very careful in defense while attacking in the second leg...

SOCCERMARINE repped this.
  21. SOCCERMARINE

SOCCERMARINE Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need to leave bayern in awe tonight. We need to impose ourselves on them put high pressure. We cannot let them waltz right into our penalty box like PSG did. I have no doubt our attack can do their job but is up to everyone to play a part in defending and in winning lost balls back as soon as possible

22. SOCCERMARINE

SOCCERMARINE Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized that if Bayern insist on playing open attack minded ball, that it should play to our advantage leaving spaces nice and open for Xavi and Iniesta to exploit with passes to MVP

23. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    "I think that having the ball is going to be a key part of the game" - Xavi

i think xavi has given us the best hint at how the game will unfold. barca will look to keep the ball as long as they can, primarily as a defensive move to starve bayern's forwards of service. if this match turns into a hectic end-to-end competition, that's where bayern's superior physicality will tear our defence apart. if we can hold on to the ball, frustrate bayern, and shut the crowd up, then our chances will come and we will have to take them when they come.

sadly i won't be able to watch this one live...:(

24. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States