PBP: UEFA CL Semifinal 1st Leg | Chelsea FC v FC Barcelona | 18 April 2012 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    FWIW, here are my observations,
    1) I don't think that was a penalty on Inesta since it was virtually a 50-50 challenge on the goal line and if you look closely at the replay, Caldwell (I think it was him and not Ivanovic but could be wrong) kicked the ball at the same time he shouldered Inesta. There was little complaining from Barca players on the call.
    2) Chelsea made sure that all the wing play was funneled into the middle and you saw relatively few occasions when the wing or fullback was able to get to the goal line. This forced players into double teams and a subsequent back pass to start all over again.
    3) Alexis was not at fault on the chip. He had a split second to decide whether to go high or low on the shot and Cech was almost on him. The shot didn't clear Cech's hands by much so there was little to do unless you find a new law of physics to bring the ball down faster. Had this ball went in the match would have been over since Chelsea really don't have the quality to come from behind, even at home.
    4) The Chelsea goal was well taken and it's always a risk with Barca on getting beaten on a breakaway like this one. Valdez almost had it saved and it certainly would have been a world class save had he made it. I don't think anyone was really at fault on this one.
    5) I agree with other posters that Fabregas had a poor game and he's often a riddle on the pitch, sometimes great and sometimes poor rarely average.
    6) The match was well officiated though I did think the Yellow on Pedro was harsh given that Drogba went down way too easily and it wasn't as though he was creating an offensive opportunity (Drogba's flopping and writhing on the pitch was worse than Busquets ever done!).
    7) Chelsea will play the same brand of negative football next week but they also have a difficult match on Saturday against Arsenal with both teams battling for a CL spot next season. So there are two "Classicos" on Saturday and barring any injuries they negate each other. Guardiola needs to tweak things a little in terms of creating some better passing lanes, probably using Messi to pass diagonally to the wing instead of forcing it to the middle and then cutting in. Going into the match down a goal is not insurmountable as I cannot see Chelsea scoring in the return match unless they get caught out like today.

Bottom line, not a bad match today but some clinical finishing would have put the tie away.

1 person likes this.
  2. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 person likes this.
  3. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    chelski rode their luck hardcore today

They should not be allowed to score first next leg. To be forced through another such snorefest would be inhuman.

Today it could have easily been 1-4.

4. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Man I miss this guy.

[​IMG]

5. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tough break guys, the football gods were not on your side tonight :s

1 person likes this.
  6. Texan_Trucho

Texan_Trucho Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Club Deportivo FAS
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    It's time for a remontada at Camp Nou :cool:

7. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I miss Eto'o even more

8. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    and i miss Pizzi:D

9. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't know how the rest of you feel but I'm over the game. We played OK, created more than enough chances to have scored twice, but we didn't, Chelsea defended for 90 mins, scored on their one breakaway attack, well done and congratulations. Nothing will change my mind that this Chelsea team are their to be beaten and providing we take our chances we should beat them by 4 goals in the second leg.

The frustration about the performance is the fact that no one other than Messi is scoring for us on a regular basis. Fabregas still has not put in that big performance that I keep expecting from him and Sanchez for all his good play seems to need a lot of chances before he puts one away.

We've been here before though, when we drew 2-2 with Arsenal and then lost 2-1 to them at The Emirates but won the return legs comfortable. The difference this time is that we did not get the away goal, but as we're going to hammer them 4-1 in the 2nd leg it won't matter. :D

10. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    After that performance by Drogba they should keep their mouths shut forever.

11. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    it's absolutely imperative we get the first goal, preferably early, and that will open them up a bit.

12. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I tell you what does get on my pips, is every time Barca lose or draw you get endless articles (and there is one on this site) about how "this is the way to play against Barca". There are endless ones after last nights game splattered across the web. So the way to play aganst Barca is to let them have 4 clear cut goal scoring opportunities and hope that they hit the post and bar with a couple of shots. Jesus wept.

2 people repped this.
  13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    One goal will not open them up, they still only need one goal to go through then. They could also gamble and go for penalties in that scenario. Basically, Barça now need three goals to feel in any way a bit safe.

14. W.Lewin

W.Lewin Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I'm not worried. We completely dominated and created multiple chances. Now we take on Madrid!

15. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well said.

16. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Barca have had trouble with teams that park the bus since like 06. Chelsea did what most teams would have to do, but like you said the articles don't mention how lucky Chelsea were.

17. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Essentialy all teams, whether big or small, play the same way against Barca. They all put 10 men behind the ball, try to force Barca to go through the middle where the play is congested and hope to get a goal on the break and/or a free kick. It's not rocket science, they all do it, but on the 3 or 4 ocassions in the season when it works the internet/media pundits go mental and claim that "Behold, Getafe/Osasuna/Chelsea have shown the way you should play against Barcelona".

Anyway, when we hammer them 4-1 next week there won't be any references to their blueprint.:D

18. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can assure you they are most definately not "crap". Regardless of your views on what style of tactics were played, they were executed well. Barca played well, and should've scored several, but it didn't work out.. That's football. Have at least a little bit of respect for your opponent.

19. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In the case of Chelsea it's difficult to have any respect for them. Especially the master class of feigning injury given by Drogba. I mean the bloke wasn't even diving for a free kick, just pretending to be injured so Barca would have to kick the ball out. And as for John Terry, Fat Frank, Cashley, don't even get me started. Also some of their fans singing during the one minutes silence in memory of Hillsborough, classy.

20. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Luckily the aim is to go through, not to feel safe. Also, three goals at the Nou Camp isn't that unlikely. Whatever Guardiola says, it's still advantage Barca right now.

21. hoss23

hoss23 Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Agreed (unfortunately). And I think Chelsea would have a huge advantage in penalties...Valdes hasn't been great lately, and I think the pressure on Barca would be immense in that situation.

22. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lets worry about that if it happens. We ony lost 1-0 and created enough chances to have won by 2 or 3 goals. In the 2nd leg we need to play at a fast tempo fright from the kick off and, obviously, we must take our chances.

23. hoss23

hoss23 Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Fair point, however, I hope Pep has started worrying about it (at least in terms of practice, order, etc in the event it happens...after all, German planning in this area seems to pay dividends every four years in the World Cup).

24. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think (at least I would hope so) most, if not all, teams practise penalties these days. Obviously, what you can't recreate is the pressure you will be under if and when the real thing happens. Just from memory I know that Fabregas scored the winning penalty for Spain in the shoot out with Italy at the last Euros and Messi took and scored one for Argentina in their shoot out with Uruguay. Beyond that I'm not sure who has experience of a shoot out in our team. They don't usually need penalties to win matches.

25. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    As reassuring as it is that we'll be home next week, scoring on Chelsea at Camp Nou wasn't easy in 2009. We need to step up big time.