PBP: UEFA CL Semifinal 1st Leg | Chelsea FC v FC Barcelona | 18 April 2012 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    !!!MOD NOTE!!!

Trolling will be dealt with severely in this thread, especially during the match. You are encouraged to offer your opinions pre- and post- match in a respectful manner, but we ask that during the match you refrain from posting anything that can be construed as a wind-up. Thanks.

Also, if you find that your post(s) were moved to the Rivalries thread, stay there. Coming back into this thread and trolling again will result in infractions.

[​IMG]

Wednesday the 18th of April 2012

Time

| Barcelona (CEST), 20:45 | LOS ANGELES (PDT), 11:45 | MONTREAL (EDT), 14:45 | LONDON (GMT), 18:45

Stamford Bridge
    LONDON

[​IMG]

Capacity: 41,837

about Chelsea FC

Wikipedia

The Club's official website
    Team page on ESPNsoccernet

Previous meetings

• The teams have faced each other ten times in UEFA competition with three wins apiece and four draws.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCGRyOJB6Ms&hd=1"]Chelsea - Barcelona Gol de Iniesta ( 2009 UEFA CL SEMI) Mayo 6 09[/ame]

• They last met on a night of high drama at Stamford Bridge on 6 May 2009. After a goalless first leg in the semi-final, Michael Essien gave Chelsea a ninth-minute lead in the return and Barcelona then lost Éric Abidal to a red card. However, Andrés Iniesta's added-time equaliser sent the Spanish side through.

[​IMG]

• The lineups that night were:

Chelsea: Čech, Bosingwa, Alex, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Anelka, Drogba (Belletti 72), Malouda.

Barcelona

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Iniesta, Eto'o, Messi, Keita, Busquets, Xavi, Abidal, Piqué, Touré, Alves, Valdés[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

• Barcelona have won three of the clubs' four previous two-legged contests in the UEFA Champions League knockout phase.

• Roberto Di Matteo and Josep Guardiola were on opposing sides for the first of these UEFA Champions League contests in 1999/2000. Di Matteo was a 71st-minute substitute in Chelsea's 3-1 home quarter-final win when Guardiola remained on the bench, while both featured from the start in Barcelona's 5-1 second-leg success after extra time, Chelsea's heaviest defeat in UEFA competition. Also involved were Carles Puyol, who appeared in both games, and Xavi Hernández, a starter in the first leg but on the bench for the return.

• The teams also met in the semi-finals of the 1965/66 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, trading 2-0 home wins before Barcelona ran out 5-0 winners in a third match played at the Camp Nou.

Team Ties

• Fernando Torres scored seven goals in ten league appearances for Club Atlético de Madrid against Barcelona, helping Atlético earn four wins and four draws along with two losses. He twice scored doubles in victories at the Camp Nou but was also on the receiving end of a 6-0 home defeat on his last appearance against Barcelona in 2007.

• Juan Mata also suffered a 6-0 reverse against Barcelona during his time with Valencia in 2007/08. He did not taste a single victory in seven Liga meetings with Barcelona but did score twice in a 3-2 Spanish Cup semi-final win in 2007/08 to secure a 4-3 aggregate triumph.

• Oriol Romeu made 41 league appearances for Barcelona's B team between 2009 and 2011. For the senior side he played twice – once in the Liga, and another time in the Spanish Super Cup.

• Torres and Javier Mascherano were team-mates at Liverpool (2007-10); Mata and David Villa played together for Valencia (2007-10); Cole and Cesc Fàbregas were Arsenal colleagues (2003-06).

• Mascherano played against Chelsea in the UEFA Champions League with Liverpool – winning the 2006/07 semi-final, losing at the same stage in 2007/08 and in the last eight in 2008/09. His overall record for Liverpool against the London club was W3 D3 L4.

• Fàbregas took on Chelsea 16 times during his eight years as an Arsenal FC player, recording three wins, four draws and nine defeats in Premier League and cup matches. He scored twice, including on his last Arsenal appearance against the Blues, a 3-1 league win in December 2010.

• Gerard Piqué spent four seasons in England with Manchester United from 2004 to 2008 but did not face Chelsea.

• Iniesta scored Spain's goal in a 1-0 friendly win against Frank Lampard's England at Old Trafford in February 2007. The Spanish side that day also included Puyol, Xavi, Fàbregas and Villa.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-3lNF3EEYo"]02.07.2007 Inglaterra - España, gol de Iniesta - YouTube[/ame]

• Villa broke the Spanish national team scoring record with two goals past Czech Republic's Petr Čech in a UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier in March 2011.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfTRzwldAr0&hd=1"]David Villa's record breaking goal vs Czech Republic HD[/ame]

• Villa scored a late winner for Spain against Raul Meireles' Portugal in the last 16 of the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

• Daniel Sturridge faced Thiago Alcántara and Martín Montoya in England's 1-1 draw with Spain at the UEFA European Under-21 Championship last June.

Right Click on the image and click on View Image to view the full-size images.

Post-match stats to follow

2. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Match Background

• The London club are undefeated against Spanish opponents, home and away, in 13 competitive fixtures. It was Barcelona who inflicted Chelsea's last defeat by a Liga team, winning 2-1 at Stamford Bridge in the 2005/06 UEFA Champions League round of 16. That was Chelsea's only setback against Spanish visitors on home soil; their record is W8 D4 L1.

• Chelsea have already beaten one Spanish side at home this term, defeating Valencia CF 3-0 in their final group game.

• Chelsea's full record against Spanish clubs is W13 D10 L6. In two-legged ties with Spanish clubs in UEFA competition, their record is W3 L5.

• Barcelona's last visit to London was for last May's UEFA Champions League final defeat of Manchester United FC. Their overall record against English clubs is W24 D18 L16, but their away record is less positive: W6 D8 L13.

• Barcelona's record in two-legged ties against English clubs in UEFA competition is W10 L9.

• Chelsea have lost their three previous UEFA competition semi-finals against Spanish opponents. Aside from the 2009 defeat by Barcelona, they lost to RCD Mallorca in the 1998/99 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and Real Zaragoza in the same competition four years earlier. Barcelona have won two and lost four semi-finals against English teams, one of those defeats coming in this competition against Manchester United in 2007/08.

• Chelsea won their first European honour by beating Real Madrid CF in the 1971 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup final in Athens, prevailing in the replay 2-1 after a 1-1 draw.

Chelsea have won one of their five previous UEFA Champions League semi-finals:
    2008/09 Barcelona, 1-1, lost on away goals (0-0 away, 1-1 home)
    2007/08 Liverpool FC, won 4-3 (1-1 away, 3-2 home)
    2006/07 Liverpool FC, 1-1, lost 1-4 on pens (1-0 home, 0-1 away)
    2004/05 Liverpool FC, lost 0-1 (0-0 home, 0-1 away)
    2003/04 AS Monaco FC, lost 3-5 (1-3 away, 2-2 home)

• Barcelona have won six of the 12 previous semi-finals they have contested:
    2010/11 Real Madrid CF, won 3-1 (2-0 away, 1-1 home)
    2009/10 FC Internazionale Milano, lost 2-3 (1-3 away, 1-0 home)
    2008/09 Chelsea, 1-1, won on away goals (0-0 home, 1-1 away)
    2007/08 Manchester United FC, lost 0-1 (0-0 home, 0-1 away)
    2005/06 AC Milan, won 1-0 (1-0 away, 0-0 home)
    2001/02 Real Madrid CF, lost 1-3 (0-2 home, 1-1 away)
    1999/2000 Valencia CF, lost 3-5 (1-4 away, 2-1 home)
    1993/94 FC Porto, won 3-0 (home)
    1985/86 IFK Göteborg, 3-3, won 5-4 on pens (0-3 away, 3-0 home)
    1974/75 Leeds United AFC, lost AFC 2-3 (1-2 away, 1-1 home)
    1960/61 Hamburger SV, won 1-0 (replay) (1-0 home, 1-2 away)
    1959/60 Real Madrid CF, lost 2-6 (1-3 away, 1-3 home)
    The Spanish side advanced to the 1991/92 final as group winners.

General Stats

[​IMG]

Goal Types

[​IMG]

Player Stats

[​IMG]

Visca el Barça

3. Trillz

Trillz Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna II
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Can't wait for Wednesday! Only doubt in my mind is whether Pep will stick with Adriano at LB or play it closer to the vest and put Puyol out there. I'd go with Puyol for his defensive tenacity and aerial ability...I'm sure Chelsea is gonna use dead ball situations are their preferred weapon, let Puyol handle that!

4. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd do Puyol at LB in the away leg and be more aggressive if needed with Adriano at home.

Is everyone else has hyped up as me for this match? There have been some great meetings between these two clubs over the last 7 years or so. So many good memories. So many tense moments.

To give credit to Chelsea, does anyone else remember that wonder goal Lampard scored over Valdes? Lamps was to the right on Valdes just around the 6yard box and chipped it over him somehow while doing a 180. If I could youtube it for you I would, but the great Chinese firewall won't allow me to :(

Edit:
    Also, what is your favorite goal of this series? Which do you think is the best?

You have the Lamps one I mentioned, Essien's amazing left footer, Iniesta's winner, Ronaldinho bulling over Terry (I LOVE THAT ONE), and Ronaldinho famous samba at the top of the 18 that he shoots with his toe.

1 person likes this.
  5. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    With Barcelona's shirt colors being Blaugrana (1st), all-black (2nd) and 'surgical green' (3rd) the club told UEFA that they would be willing to wear another kit so as to avoid a kit clash with Chelsea's blue shirts/shorts.
    One of the colors suggested was yellow shirts/black shorts. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The salmon red shirts from 09/10 (worn against Estudiantes) were also offered by the club but in the end UEFA said that the all-black kit would do just fine, thank you very much.
    [​IMG]

7. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I still have a soft spot for that guy simply because of that goal.

8. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That yellow one we wore when we last met Chelsea is the best away outfit Barca has ever had.

9. Trillz

Trillz Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna II
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm always partial to the away kit we wore when Ronnie scored his toe poke against Chelski! Pin stripes always win!

10. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ^ that was nice uniform as well. second in my list.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wonder who will start up front for them. Drogba didn't start in neither of the Benfica QF games although he did start against Napoli.

I can't imagine that he won't get the start.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ronaldinho's goal in 05 is my favorite. That was such a crazy game with plenty of chances for both sides. And it's funny that nobody talks about Carvalho's tug on Valdes on that Terry goal.

13. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It's never talked about because it didn't benefit "UEFAlona". :rolleyes:

14. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in agreement that Puyol plays LB as that is the only way we get to start Puyol, Pique and Mascherano and we really want all 3 in this game. A tribute to how far Masch has come as a CB in just a year. VV and Alves complete the back. XBI in midfield. Up front M a given, I think Cesc gets a start too, and Sanchez is told to maintain more width than usual on the left (Alves providing most of that on the left). Toughest omissions would be Pedro, Adriano, Thiago, and Cuenca plus Keita if he is cleared to play, not the game to give Affelay first PT in 6 plus months so I assume he does not make the squad.

VV
    Alves-Masch-Pique-Puyol
    X-B-I
    M-Cesc-Sanchez

As much as we are already familiar with Chelsea I think that the presence of Cesc, Masch and Pique - all 3 with extensive EPL experience will be helpful too.

15. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    for a club that dominates 95% of the teams it plays against, y'all have a serious inferiority complex.

16. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why you say that. I think that many of Barca's more mature fans like to take the approach of the coach and team, to try to not look past anyone. I don't think the prospect of playing Chelsea in 2012 is as daunting as it was when we last met in 2009 but they are still a very good club, anything can happen particularly in London, one game at a time. If that makes for an inferiority complex so be it - guilty as charged.

Certainly some of us are looking ahead to whether we want to play Bayern or Real in Allianz Arena; or looking ahead to hopefully beating Real next Saturday to get their lead down to just 1 point. But we don't want the team to look ahead so why would we look ahead/take a solid EPL team for granted? Seems that is the mark of a new fan who cannot even stand any criticism of their own team.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/13/barcelona-bandwagon-barney-ronay

17. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barcelona always have top quality away and 3rd kits.

18. FCBTEX

FCBTEX Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Frisco
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll say the same thing about Chelski as I did about Milan, I didn't want them but now that we have them we should beat them as long as we play our game. The small field will mean the wing players won't be as useful but we should shred their midfield and defense through the center. Benfica was having a field day against them so just imagine what Xavi and Iniesta(please don't start as a LW) can do. That being said, Chelsea are coming off some big games and they are a different team in the CL with plenty of experienced players who know this is their last chance at the big ears trophy plus the whole revenge angle they'll be using to motivate themselves. I don't think we can leave this game without a goal even if we hold them scoreless. I'll take 1-1 with a return leg at the Camp.

19. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree on your overall assessment just posting re smaller field.

Official Stamford Bridge dimensions: 103 x 67 metres (112.6 x 73.3 yards)

Camp Nou Field dimensions 105 × 68 m (115 × 74 yd)

I am always surprised when I run those comparisons; our field is not that much wider or longer but yet I know what you mean. Definitely we have a bit more room around the pitch - between field and spectators. And we do play differently at home for sure, but that seems down to our groundskeepers trimming our field to near putting green conditions, if you will, while other team goes for rougher conditions...

20. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Lol I dunno if you're joking or not, but this year's 2nd is pretty meh to begin with.

As for TxTechGooner's trolling, whatever. But agreed with Gilmango's answer nonetheless.

21. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In my view this Chelsea team are nothing to fear. Yes, they have a lot of very experienced players, but then so have Barca, lets face it most Barca players have veen there, done that and got the tee shirt. The Chelsea defence is vulnerable and slow, where we will have to be very careful is set pieces, where Chelsea have a considerable advantage over us. I don't know if Pique will be fit for this match, but if he is I would go for him instead of Masch.

Masch has been magnificent for us, ever since we signed him, but I think Pique would cope better with the physical presence of Drogba better than Masch might.

On a personal note I despise and detest Chelsea, both the players (who are revolting) and the fans, so I would just love it if we humiliate them in the first leg and Messi rips a new one for Terry.

22. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I think Masch would cope better with Drogba than Pique would.

we'll win on Wednesday though.

23. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can't believe how well Masch has played as a centre half, bearing in mind he is a midfielder and also bearing in mind that he's not 6ft 5inches tall. He has been outstanding and seems to get better with every game. To such an extent it would be now weird to see him playing in central midfield.

24. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not joking at all. I always love the away kits.

Plus I thought you guys would like this:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True, but their defense is still better than Levante's which Barca had trouble breaking-down. I expect the same kind of game at Stamford Bridge (ie. Chelsea will park the double-decker bus in front of their goal). In that sense, the Levante x Barca match was excellent practice for Barca.

It's going to be very difficult to break them down, but I have a feeling John Terry will make a boner of a play at some point and Barca will get their away goal.