PBP: UEFA CL 1/4, Leg 2 | Atlético Madrid CF v FC Barcelona | 9 April 2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]
    Wednesday the 9th of April 2014

| BARCELONA (CEST), 20:45 | LOS ANGELES (PDT), 11:45 | MONTREAL (EDT), 14:45 | LONDON (BST), 19:45 | MELBOURNE (AEST), 04:45 (NEXT DAY)
    [​IMG]
    ESTADIO
    Vicente Calderón

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Previous meetings

1st Leg Highlights

Click Here

• Atlético have hosted Barcelona 106 times before in all competitions with a record of 50 home wins, 33 Barcelona victories and 23 draws.

• It finished goalless when the teams faced each other at the Vicente Calderón in the Liga on 11 January. The lineups were:

Atlético: Courtois, Juanfran, Godín, Miranda, Filipe Luís, Tiago (Rodríguez 82), Gabi, Arda Turan, Koke, Villa (García 77), Costa.
    Barcelona: Valdés, Alves, Mascherano, Piqué, Alba, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta (Messi 46), Pedro (Sergi Roberto 82), Sánchez (Neymar 67), Fàbregas.

• The last two-legged encounter between the sides came in this season's Spanish Super Cup last August, when Liga champions Barcelona beat Copa del Rey winners Atlético on away goals after following up a 1-1 draw in Madrid – where Neymar cancelled out David Villa's strike with his first goal in Spain – with a 0-0 Camp Nou stalemate.

2nd Leg

1st Leg

• Atlético have not beaten Barcelona at home since February 2010 when Diego Forlán and Simão secured a 2-1 success. Barcelona are undefeated in five visits since and last won at the Vicente Calderón in a Liga fixture last May, when Alexis Sánchez and a late Gabi own goal clinched a 2-1 victory after Radamel Falcao had netted for Atleti.

• Barcelona won the clubs' most recent Copa del Rey encounter 5-2 on aggregate in the 2008/09 round of 16.

• Simeone was in the Atletico team that beat a Barcelona side featuring Carles Busquets – father of current Barça midfielder Sergio – 1-0 after extra time in the 1996 Copa del Rey final. That is one of just two cup finals contested by the clubs; the first back in 1926 finished 3-2 to Barcelona.

[​IMG]
    Match background

• Atlético are bidding for a first European Cup semi-final since 1974 and – as shown by their 4-1 second-leg thrashing of AC Milan in the last round – fear nobody at their Vicente Calderón stadium. They have won 16 of their last 17 home games in UEFA competition, including four in a row this term. The only blip was a 2-0 loss to FC Rubin Kazan in the UEFA Europa League round of 32 in February 2013.

• Atlético were last at this stage in 1996/97 when a team containing Simeone went down 4-3 on aggregate to AFC Ajax. Atlético's overall quarter-final record is three wins and two defeats from five appearances.

• That Ajax reverse is the only time in seven UEFA competition ties that Atlético drew 1-1 away in the first leg but went out on aggregate; they won the other six. Overall, after an away first-leg draw of any description their record is W9 L2.

• Four-time winners Barcelona are competing in their seventh consecutive UEFA Champions League quarter-final. Overall, this is their 16th European Cup quarter-final and they have a record of 13 wins and two defeats. They had no quarter-final phase to negotiate when reaching the final in 1991/92 and 1993/94.

• Barcelona won 2-0 at Manchester City FC in the round of 16 and have lost just one of four away matches in this season's competition.

• The Azulgrana have been held to a home first-leg draw in UEFA competition on ten occasions, winning five of those ties overall. Most recently, they drew 0-0 with Chelsea FC in the 2008/09 semi-finals, advancing on away goals following a 1-1 draw in the return leg.

• When drawing 1-1 at home first, Barça's aggregate record is W3 L2. They lost the last time that happened, against Paris Saint-Germain in the 1994/95 quarter-finals (1-2 away).

• The Catalan club last faced a fellow Liga outfit in Europe when overcoming Real Madrid CF in the 2010/11 semi-finals. Josep Guardiola's side prevailed 2-0 in Madrid – Messi scoring twice – before a 1-1 draw back in Barcelona.

• Barcelona have recorded four wins and five losses from nine two-legged ties against Spanish rivals in UEFA competition. They also lost the 2006 UEFA Super Cup 3-0 to Sevilla FC in Monaco.

• On the two previous occasions Barcelona beat a compatriot club in the European Cup, they got to the final – in 2011 after ousting Madrid, and after bettering the same opponents 4-3 on aggregate in the 1960/61 first round.

• Atlético have a strong record in UEFA competition ties against fellow Spaniards. Two seasons ago they saw off Athletic Club 3-0 in the UEFA Europa League final, having accounted for Valencia CF 5-2 on aggregate in the semis. They also beat Valencia en route to winning the same competition in 2010, progressing on away goals in the quarter-finals with a 2-2 away draw before a Vicente Calderón stalemate.

• Excluding the UEFA Intertoto Cup, Atlético's sole defeat in four past two-legged European ties against compatriot clubs came against Madrid in the 1958/59 European Cup semi-finals. After the teams traded home victories, the Merengues won a replay in Zaragoza 2-1.

• Atlético's shoot-out record in UEFA competitions is:
    1-3 v Villarreal CF, 2004 UEFA Intertoto Cup final round
    1-3 v ACF Fiorentina, 1989/90 UEFA Cup first round
    6-7 v Derby County FC, 1974/75 UEFA Cup second round

• Barcelona's shoot-out record is:
    5-4 v KKS Lech Poznań, 1988/89 European Cup Winners' Cup second round
    0-2 v FC Steaua Bucureşti, 1985/86 European Cup final
    5-4 v IFK Göteborg, 1985/86 European Cup semi-final
    4-1 v RSC Anderlecht, 1978/79 European Cup Winners' Cup second round

3-1 v Ipswich Town FC, 1977/78 UEFA Cup third round

5-4 v AZ Alkmaar, 1977/78 UEFA Cup second round
    [​IMG]

General Stats + Scoring Times
    [​IMG]
    Player Stats
    [​IMG]
    Previous Match Stats

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gilmango, puyol and MavadoDribblez repped this.
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    So there are five previous instances? :confused:
    Because I've only found three, with the last happening after PSG '95.

1988-89 Cup Winners' Cup
    2nd Round
    FCB - Lech Poznan ................ 1-1 (H), 1-1aet (A), 5-4pen

1994-95 Champions League
    Quarterfinals
    FCB - Paris Saint Germain ..... 1-1 (H), 1-2 (A)

1996-97 Cup Winners' Cup
    Semifinals
    FCB - Fiorentina ...................... 1-1 (H), 2-0 (A)

MavadoDribblez and Viscaelbarca repped this.
  3. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #3 Diego Maradona, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    also I know is we have to score 1st and then hope to score a 2nd goal before they can score their first

If we can, not only do we get through to the semis BUT it will really mess their minds up when we meet them in the final game of La Liga

I was supposed to miss this match due to a late shift but I have been told yesterday that I have a shift swap and I will now finish at 7PM, there was a reason for that swap

4. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    One trend that appears to be the theme of the 2013-14 season: Barca play to the level of their opposition.
    Fully expect that trend to continue. :thumbsup: Just hope it's enough.

Atletico are asking their supporters to show up at the Calderon in the most passionate of moods.

[​IMG]

5. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggest question is whether we stick with 4 midfielders and 2 forwards or go back to more of a traditional 4-3-3, in the former which we've lately been using in big matches each of Cesc, Ini and Xavi start and 2 of Alexis, Pedro or Neymar sit. In the latter one of each group sits. I think I'd like to see that latter this time but perhaps starting Ini and Cesc, plus Pedro and Neymar.

So:
    Pinto
    Alves-Masch-Bartra-Alba
    Cesc-Busqets-Ini
    Pedro-Messi-Neymar

but frankly I think it more likely that we use the recent "big game" formation and sit both of Alexis and Pedro, which I don't wish to see but think we might.

The other biggest question is Costa's health, I think he starts and plays but might not be at his best.

6. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I am not sure @unclesox, this is what the UEFA website says... I'll try to find out.

7. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No Pedro, just Alexis. Neymar is now the most dangerous player outside of Messi from open play and he will start. If Xavi plays, then no Fabregas, although I would like to see Fabregas start instead of Xavi. I doubt Costa will play, because he probably won't be 100%.

8. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'd be delighted if 3 forwards start, and don't care which one sits really but I do rate Pedro as the equal to Alexis and Neymar - somewhat different skill sets for all 3 but all 3 are great and all 3 also miss "sitters" just like Leo does, and all 3 defer to Leo at times when you want them to shoot (a problem Leo does not suffer from).

Assuming we go with 3 forwards then yes, Iniesta is the one who MUST START and it becomes either Cesc or Xavi. And again I'd be happy with either one, just prefer we not "try to dominate possession and frustrate the counter attacking team" as we did against ManC, LPB, and the first leg. Here we need to be more aggressive and need more shots on goal, need to score at least once and ideally twice or more, really like to have the first goal. Could even see a tactical shift if we do get the first goal (shift back to possession oriented again, though there are big dangers there too).

I have not read much about Costa's injury but prefer to be happily surprised if he is not available. Like us w/o Messi, they've done OK in his absence, but in a game like this that'd be a huge blow for them.

9. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    True, good point. I'm in favour of the 4-3-3 formation, for the same reason as you. We need to score one goal at the very least to advance/force extra time (if they score once as well). The onus is on us, and I believe they will set up to counterattack, but maybe loosen the reigns and attack depending on how shaky they see our defense.

I think Pedro hasn't given a good account of himself the last couple times out, after a good run of performances. However we feel about Neymar's performances, he is scoring goals, drawing penalties and finding his way to impact the matches since the Clasico. I don't believe that Alexis has scored in the Champions League this season, so that may be something to consider as well when making a team selection. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

10. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Huge stakes, whoever we field better deliver.

While even one goal might be enough, I think we need to score twice. Twice will be enough though, as I don't see us concede three times.

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As long we scored first I think we will make it but if they hit first, expect an ugly game from Atletico. I can picture flying tackles and time wasting on the way.

At the moment, no question who should start upfront. Neymar over Pedro. Alexis better not take so many useless extra touch upfront.

12. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am hoping that AM park the bus and try not to score the first goal

also fingers crossed on Costa not playing

13. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would like to see this:

Pinto
    Alves-Masch-Bartra-Alba
    -----Busquets
    Xavi--------Iniesta
    Alexis-Messi-Neymar

after last game against Betis no way to start Pedro or Cesc. Both awful

14. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Unfortunately Cesc WILL start , nothing anyone can do about it , and to make it worst he will be infront not in the midfield so our counter/attack will be slow as **** , it's frustrating knowing that we NEED to score with him around but hopefully neymar/messi can do some magic and get it done.

15. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #15 illusion, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    he is the ref for this game!

we are doomed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :mad:

16. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agreed, with Cesc we won't score many goals, most likely will end up with a 1-1 draw again and extra time then PKs

17. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We will be playing with our All Black kit which we used against Celtic , i love those , makes the players look like badasses :cool:

18. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #18 Diego Maradona, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    Although he hasn’t refereed a Barca game this season, the Catalan side haven’t lost in any of their last three encounters with the Yorkshireman in the middle.
    We beat Shakhtar Donetsk in 2010, along with Bayern Munich and Dynamo Kiev in 2009, with Webb as referee.

NYfan repped this.
  19. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Agreed, Fabregas either starts in midfield ahead of Xavi, or he sits. It's odd though, because given the appropriate space on the field to play, he is much more of a direct player than Xavi. If he's in the front three, we may as well just play with ten on the pitch, until the 70th minute, haha.

puyol repped this.
  20. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I can't wrap my mind around the possibility of Atletico eliminating us. I keep expecting their wheels to fall off :unsure:

I feel pretty good about our chances though. I just hope we play "up" rather than "down" in such a crucial game in a very hostile environment.

21. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still very proud that our team does not include those b.s. clauses about how a sold or loaned out player cannot play when facing their former club. That said, I really think our club underestimated how good Atletico could be this season, post-Falcao, when we sold them Villa for cheap simply so Villa could stay in Spain as was his preference. So I really hope we advance Wednesday. I'm glad Atletico is doing well this season and challenging the recent duopoly. BUT if Atletico eliminates us from CL or wins La Liga over us I will really be wishing we sold Villa to an EPL squad (and made a bit more Euros/Pounds in the process).

22. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nah, can't be feeling like that. Everyone has been (probably still are) waiting for Atletico's bubble to burst yet they've kept up the pace and, frankly, La Liga needed a third party to offer up a challenge to the 'big two' and make the campaign more interesting to neutrals.
    If Atleti advance in the CL I hope they win it all.
    And if they end up winning La Liga I'll be the first to say it was thoroughly deserved.
    But for now, two days before the Champions quarterfinal second leg, f--k'em. :)

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm not sure any club has such a clause on a sold player. How can you receive money from a club for a player and then tell that club when they can and cannot use the player?

24. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably right, best of all we beat them in CL and win La Liga and I can simply be happy for Villa and for them ending the duopoly and the year's of being Real's little patsy baby brother. We need to simply take care of our business and it's a non-issue. If they do beat us in CL I too will root for them to win it all.

Rana catesbeiana repped this.
  25. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right (if such clauses could exist for sold players surely Eto'o would never have been allowed to face Real Madrid). In any event I am glad we don't ever use those clauses for loaned out players AND generally glad we don't fear selling players to Liga rivals either. Part of what sucks here is just that we got so little money for him just 3 years after we paid a rich price for him. I know part of that is a factor of his salary being very high and him coming off an only so-so year.