PBP: UEFA Champions League | Round 1/8 1st Leg | AC Milan vs FC Barcelona | 20 Feb 2013 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Feb 18, 2013.

1. barcabob1899

barcabob1899 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Barca had the better team then Milan in '94, but that Milan team was better in comparison to this Milan team.

And I'm not saying we shouldn't take Milan seriously, obviously we should. What I'm saying is that if both teams play to their potential Barca wins 10/10 times. But of course like everyone says, "games aren't played on paper".

2. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    I'd say you're asking a lot there. :D

That defeat was the most painful match I've ever endured in my life, mainly because we were so bad that day and Milan deserved to win more than just 4-0. It was the end of the Dream Team and we went on to endure two very bad seasons after that, going on to lose 5-0 to Real months after Athens.

It's no shame losing to that great Milan team, but we didn't even show up in a Champions League final and that was just unforgiveable.

And it's the same now. I'm not staking a claim that Milan can beat us 4-0 on Wednesday, but they can beat us. It's not a ridiculous thought, they've proven to be, along with Chelsea, our toughest European opponent down the years and it has never been easy against them. They know how to set themselves up and give their all for every inch, it's strapped in their DNA.

If Barca plays to their potential, we will win almost every time. But I can't recall a performance away from home in Europe where we played as best as we can, under Pep. The 2-0 at the Bernabeu was the closest one probably, but the Pepe red card did change everything. Against Chelsea, Inter, Lyon, and even Milan themselves away, we always had a tough test on our hands.

The playing field in this year's Champions League is as good as it's been for years. Milan don't have a chance to win any trophies now apart from this and historically they are known to perform well when the odds are stacked against them.

All I am saying is we need to be careful and remain grounded, I'm sure we'd all hate for another Chelsea story to reoccur so soon again.

Umar repped this.
  3. barcabob1899

barcabob1899 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    :eek: Don't joke like that man. I just assume last year didn't happen

.Azulgrana. repped this.
  4. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Honestly though, going out against Milan wouldn't be nearly as bad as going out against Chelsea. :whistling:

5. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Going out in the Round of 16 would be.

6. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Agreed. But going out in the R16 against Milan or against Chelsea? I'd rather go out against Milan.

7. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I will be working on Wednesday late shift but hope we win

8. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In that case, I agree.

9. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Milan last season (I know it was a different team), defended really well against us in both matches in Barcelona. All those last ditch tackles I remembered annoyed me, but they were all well timed. They may not have Silva and Ibra anymore, but they are well versed in their defensive tactics. The only thing I can say is that we dominated both those matches, but were poor in our conversion (sound familiar?).

We must be cautious because away matches in the Champions League knockout rounds are 95% of the time tough. Teams only need one or two chances it seems to score against us.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They didn't have Silva last season against Barca either. So yeah, basically similar defense as a year ago which gave Barca trouble.

11. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Good news, Xavi is ready to start at San Siro.

This would be my lineup:

Valdes​
    Alves Pique Puyol Alba​
    Xavi Busquets Cesc​
    Pedro Messi Iniesta​
    Play all the big guns and go for this. Good finshing, effort, and stay solid at the back is all I could ask for here. ​

12. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Obviously, that 1 year makes a huge difference.;)

13. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pssssst, I'll let you in on a secret. Whatever we post on this message board is not actually going to have any affect on the outcome of the match. But whatever you do keep that to yourself.

inswinger repped this.
  14. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    Why though??? Milan isn't better than Chelsea

15. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Oh, never said anything about their levels. I just personally like Chelsea less than I like Milan, simple as that. The less you like the opponent, the more it adds to the pain of going out (imo).

16. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    :ROFLMAO: Can't argue with that.

One thing in our favor is that Berlusconi has decided to turn tactician again, as he likes to do when he's not in court facing corruption charges. He's told Allegri through the media that he should put Flamini or Muntari* to man-mark Messi, "maybe one for the first half, and the other for the second half. I did the same thing when I coached my youth team."

I love how the Italian media (or, the little of it not owned by Berlusconi) are trolling him like he's a footballing guru. Yes, Silvio, tell us what else you would do to beat Barça. You're so smart, Silvio! How could nobody else have thought of that? All this offered "wisdom" is just putting Allegri in an impossible situation where either he follows his boss's suggestions (orders), or does his own job as coach and risks "disobeying" il Consigliere.

* btw, in the interview Berlusconi couldn't remember his own player's name.
    SB: "Who's that guy we got from Inter who then busted up his knee?"
    Journalist (smiling): "Muntari."
    SB: "Ah yes, Muntari."

edit: also, Flamini is injured.

Here is the list of 19 called-up Milan players:

Abbiati, Amelia, Gabriel, Abate, De Sciglio, Mexes, Yepes, Zapata, Ambrosini, Boateng, Constant, Cristante, Montolivo, Muntari, Traorè, Bojan, El Shaarawy, Niang, Pazzini.

Viscaelbarca, MISH and os_mutante repped this.
  17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, lets say 9/10. If Milan play to their potential AND get some luck on their side, it will be tough for Barca.

18. vivalabarca

vivalabarca New Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Club:
    BATE Borisov

http://www.betonwins.com/20-februar...predictions-milan-v-barcelona-prediction.html

19. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It doesn't matter what the odds are or whether we post messages on this board saying we will beat Milan 10-0. All that matters is that the players are up for the game, don't go into it with a complacent attitude and play to their ability. If that happens then the worst result we will get is a draw.

Given how we have defended this season, you can almost guarantee that we will concede a goal (hopefully only one), but we are also likely to score as well. I'll go for 2-1 to us.

20. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    2-2 is my prediction but I'd hope for 3-1

21. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Prepare to see plenty of slips on the field. The San Siro pitch is still apparently in bad shape from lack of sunlight and the fact Inter and Milan both play there. Milan even injected synthetic grass in patches. It's improved from last year when we visited, but still one of the worst pitches among major European stadiums.

22. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I just hope football doesn't lose tonight. :cool:

23. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's to do with the lack of natural light getting on the pitch, this occured when they added the extra stand for the 1990 world cup. Hence the awful condition of the pitch which they have constantly re-lay.

I did a tour of the Amsterdam arena may years ago and the guide was saying they had the same issues and were relaying the pitch on a monthly basis at a cost of £100k each time. Which is why they eventually came up with a synthnetic/grass subtitute.

By the way, has anyone here been to the San Siro (not showing of or anything), I went several years ago, and although it is rough round the edges (seats are filthy, toilet facilities not the best) it takes your breath away when you first see it looming up. Would be shame to see it go if Inter and AC eventually move to their own grounds.

24. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I've only been once, to see West Germany dismantle the United Arab Emirates in WC 90. In the middle of a thunderstorm, as I recall. The stadium was obviously in pristine shape back then. I imagine the years have taken their toll though.

25. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've been twice, once to see Milan v Atalanta and the other time to see Italy v Scotland. It's one of the few grounds I have been too which took my breath away seeing it from a distance. It is like a very large space ship. Obviously showing signs of age now, but one of the world's great grounds.