News: UEFA Champions League draw - The Road to Lisboa [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by unclesox, Aug 27, 2013.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But at the end of the day it still boils down to what is feasible and whether the formula for determining the seeds is any better than pulling random numbers out of your ass. In the NCAA, reseeding is simply not feasible for reasons already highlighted (nevermind that the seeding is voted on by a bunch of nerds sitting around a desk in a single meeting on a Sunday afternoon in March).

For UCL, the only seeding that would reward hard work over the long-haul would be seeding based on the previous season's league rankings. In which case, Man Utd would be the #1 or #2 seed in UCL this season based on being champions of the 1st or 2nd-best league. hmmm....

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    From the basketball perspective, I agree. Because of the traveling involved after every other round.
    But my response was more directed to the wrestling tournament NYfan brought up. I'm guessing travel after each round of that tournament isn't as big an issue.

3. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    I just realized that every single team in the possbile semifinals (Barca and Bayern included) hate each other very much. Altough the degrees are different for each team so whoever wins they will do it by beating their most hated teams

4. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bayern fans have actually a lot more mutual respect for barca then any other team left... Trust me ;)

The hate with Chelski is pretty obvious :p

The hate with Madrid has begun since both teams entered the champions league :p

5. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There would be no underdog like last time. All four teams are capable winners.

6. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Well clearly the last team on Barca's list is Bayern and viceversa but you've got to admit seeing Barca win again would be tough for Bayern and so will seeing Bayern win.

7. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let's say i would rather see barca win the CL then Madrid or mou Chelsea :)

8. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    and i'd rather see Bayern win than those two. i don't think there's any hate between bayern and barca.

there is a little bit of an edge (mostly on our side) because it really hurt to see pep and thiago leave (would have hurt no matter where they ended up) - and the 7-0 last season also really hurt.

but i'd rather have to face bayern at this point, because that meeting would be all about the brilliant football that would be on display, whereas any meeting with LPB, Chelsea, or Mou, will inevitably devolve into a soap opera.

Dhajj repped this.
  9. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Agreed. :coffee:

Dhajj repped this.
  10. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  11. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  12. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

AM AM AM AM AM PLEAAAAASE!!! Then at least we Barcelona fans can say... well we lost to the champions :laugh::ROFLMAO:

13. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

14. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If I were AM I'd play Courtois anyway, pay the effin 6m euros or whatever, and lay a beatdown on Chel$ki.

15. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

I think Barcelona should pay it if AM meat Chelsea in the final :D

MavadoDribblez repped this.
  16. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    A Madrid can play Courtois if they wanted to. And no penalty will be given. I know this 100% sure from a Steaua case.
    Now that Atletico will destroy their relationship will Chelsea that is another part but the clause is not binding

EDIT: I just saw that UEFA issued a statement

17. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Oh well I should have checked before I gave my exclusive :ROFLMAO:
    But I am sure that won't stop enough Chelsea fans to yell conspiracy

18. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well, here is the semi draw:

LPB - Bayern
    Atleti - Chelsea

And in Europa:

Sevilla - Valencia
    Benfica - Juve

(First team play at home in first leg)

19. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    "Perfect draw", although a CL semifinal draw with no Barca is automatically bad. But perfect draw in a sense that LPB drew the toughest possible opponent, and at this with no Barca alive, I just hope that whoever wins the thing is not LPB.

I'd expect the final to be Atletico - Bayern, although this could really go any way. And I've thought for a while now that Chelsea isn't to be underestimated: it wouldn't be that big of a surprise if they'd win this (and EPL).

Dhajj repped this.
  20. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am glad courtois is playing..

It would be a serous PR damage to Chelsea otherwise

21. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Imagine Courtois making a few blunders... How about that for a twist! :D:cool:

22. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Courtois isn't always great, but I think he is the best goalkeeper in the world today.

I wonder what's gonna Cech's next move. He is still pretty solid, and he is only 31. If Chelsea wants Courtois back already the next season.

With all these great keepers around, I gotta admit I'm a little bit worried about Ter Stegen. I mean, is he really good enough right away in his first season? With outfield players, the adaptation period isn't that bad as they can always be subbed etc, but the first-choice goalie gotta deliver. Hopefully he proves me wrong, and I don't want to overestimate my worries, and also it's not like I watch every single Gladbach match. But still. I mean, he should deliver Valdes-like stuff right away for our quality in GK department not to drop, and that's a lot asked. I wonder, with Cech still playing in the top level for years, whether it would've made sense to splash on Courtois instead. I guess we'll never know. And by this I'm not saying Ter Stegen is a bad pick etc.

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Following the Copa del Rey final last May 17th, Atletico supporters serenaded, 'Mourinho quedate'.

First leg at the Calderon should be epic both on and off the pitch.

24. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'd guess the second leg will be epic as well, with Atletico booking a historical place in the CL final (!) and all. :coffee:

inswinger and unclesox repped this.