UCSB's Peter McGlynn ARRESTED after punching ref

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is discussed in the results of the week thread, but this is such a rare and notorious incident that I thought it warranted its own thread.

The synopsis is that UC Santa Barbara lost at home to UC Davis 2-1 in OT. After the game-winning goal, a bunch of UCSB players charged the ref, McGlynn slugged him and was promptly arrested and taken away in cuffs.

Here's a media recap of the incident.
    http://www.keyt.com/news/local/Gauc...Arrested-For-Punching-Official-176198601.html

Expect this story to go viral.

2. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow....

I dont care if he is a martian....This behavior has no place in......well.....anywhere

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't serious.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    unnamedsource repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  6. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    That story is incorrect in one aspect. McGlynn was not red-carded until after the game-winning goal. Whether or not it was before the assault on the referee is unknown. He might have gotten his second yellow (he got his 5th of the season in the OT so he was out next game anyway) for confronting the referee after the goal, or he might have gotten a straight red for the assault.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Out of curiosity, it was senior night at UCSB. Were McGlynn's parents in attendance? Based on his twitter account, they were in town a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering if he they were still here to witness this meltdown.

8. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    The guy is a total moron and I hope they throw the book at him. Sounds like the program needs to attend an anger management class and I would presume this sort of nonsense starts at the top.:eek:

9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Some people have trouble being serious even when a sad situation like this one demands it. :D

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  10. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive had the opportunity to discuss "Thuggery" with a pretty well known College Football coach. It was intersting to me that the word " from the top" (read administration) was that it was his job to coach football players...and not mold behavior off the field. In other words......well...you're smart people...draw your own conckusions

11. should be working

Apr 9, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the fullest story yet on the incident, with extensive quotes from Vom Steeg. It strikes me as significant that he is still arguing about the referee's calls even though something has happened that completely trumps this issue. I don't know the man and I have no personal axe to grind, but at the very least this shows a lack of understanding of public relations.

http://presidiosports.com/2012/10/ucsbs-latest-loss-ends-with-an-ugly-incident/

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  12. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    You can also see that TVS has no basis for complaint. Mansker lept into a group of players as he had been doing all day, but this time he was not able to grab the ball.

13. casoccer

casoccer New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I totally agree with Espola, the goalie, and coach have nothing to argue about. Their goalie, as he has done all year always comes out and tries to catch every ball. Fortunately for U.C. Davis it slipped through his hands. Also, McGlynn DID NOT punch the referee, he pushed him hard from behind. I have the video.

14. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Where is the video? It looked like a punch from my angle.

15. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I wonder if Peter will receive any other sanctions besides being done with college soccer. I wouldn't be surprised (if Peter punched the referee or pushed the referee's head from behind), if he received a world-wide ban - then again FIFA is corrupt, anyway.

16. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Does FIFA care about NCAA?

17. casoccer

casoccer New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No punch, just a hard push from behind. Not letting me post the video. Will figure it out and send later.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Watching that video of the game-winning goal, it didn't look like the GK was fouled at all. Looked like he jumped into a crowd and didn't get the ball cleanly.

And if there were a foul, it certainly wasn't clear enough to warrant the complaints from the UCSB players and coaches, none of whom seem to acknowledge that the reason they aren't going to the NCAA Tournament isn't because of this call but because they've underachieved this season and not gotten the wins they needed.

The refs aren't why they lost this game and they aren't the reason they aren't going to the NCAA Tournament. Yet no one from the program seems to be admitting that.

*Oracle* repped this.
  19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    How much of a pro future did McGlynn have?

Was he expected to go in the MLS draft and if so, how high?

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    No.

But almost all the refs the NCAA uses are sanctioned by the USSF and the USSF is part of FIFA so they may see that as grounds to punish him since he struck a ref sanctioned by a FIFA member.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Because McGlynn would have taken an international slot and with his previous ankle injury, this would have slipped him a bit. But, with him being on TV every year, he was a known commodity.

Who are your 10 best senior RB?

I think he would have been on the bubble.

23. should be working

Apr 9, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were some terrible calls in the Premier League over the weekend—errors that changed the outcomes of games and potentially, the final outcome of the most popular soccer league in the world. Chelsea was left with 9 men on the field when Torres was given a second yellow for diving when he didn’t dive, Chicharito came out of an obviously offside position in the goal net to score the winning goal for Man U, and Luis Suarez was robbed of a goal that would have won the game for Liverpool (though some argue he should have been ejected earlier).

No referees were attacked.

24. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    10 best? We'd really be going 10 deep with the number of homegrowns/GA who might be coming out this year? I can count three underclassmen who are up for GA/HGP projected as future outside backs in Okwounu, Miller and Yedlin. Seems crazy that we'd be worried about anything past the first 3-4 senior right backs.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    FIFA will not impose a rule against him because they don't care about the NCAA. USSF and MLS may but I don't think so. When both Michael Tetteh and Luis Silva went to MLS in 2011 & 2012 respectively, after the CAL ordeal in 2010, I don't think they faced any penalties because of what happened in that match. I mean Silva was arrested this summer for something (I forget what) in Houston and although Tetteh received a GA contract and is on the Sounders, he has never appeared in an MLS game but that doesn't mean the league punished either of them from what happened in a college game...