UCL - Manchester United vs Bayern München - April 1, 2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 31, 2014.

1. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    #401 lynne, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    This is soooooo irritating. We blew away the PL last year and looked good in the CL until Nani was sent off. Why do we all of a sudden need "3 or 4 world class players"? Especially if Moyes could manage any of the world class players he has now.

We need a center mid. "World class" sounds good, until you realize he'd be just another player either benched or pushed out to the wing to make more room for Rooney.

We probably need another defender (not a world class one), and for a manager who can manage all the defenders that we have.

Full backs we'd have if we didn't loan them out.

Wing players we have in abundance. Can we hold a yard sale?

World class forwards we have -- unless they decide to leave.

One thing I really admired about Sir Alex was how careful he was with both his players and the team's money (usually). We didn't do the Chelsea/RM thing of buying and selling players like we were trading penny stocks. We didn't throw around the club's money like there were money trees planted out back in the parking lot at Old Trafford. Sir Alex also acted like he had some responsibility to the players under his command.

Now I don't see any of that.

barroldinho repped this.
  2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not compete with the European elite? That is for damned sure because we're not odds on to finish with a Europa League spot.

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    agreed.

at the time of his city comments that is somewhat along the lines of what i thought he meant. not in terms of history but in terms of current standards.

currently, city fans expect to at least challenge for all 4 comps, even if not to win them. that is there level now whereas right now United fans currently doubt whether we can win a normally run of the mill league game.

in the end it is all relative of course, but relative to what is the key in this case as i've seen reference to the legendary 08 side and the current incarnation. personally, this is very good Bayern side regardless of whether we are or not and even though it isn't how our home games should or usually are played the result was decent. given the obvious deficiencies we've debated to death over recent years even under Fergie this wouldn't be a bad result in isolation.

for me the issue is more that we had home advantage and made zero use of it in terms of play and tactical approach rather than the actual final (halftime) scoreline itself

4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well he managed to get 1 thing right. if only 1

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He looks a bit... um, well, you know.

6. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    How do you think Kagawa performed? Which aspects are you impressed with him against Bayern and which aspects you felt he should have been better?

7. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    fabulous?

Teso Dos Bichos, s7kru and benni... repped this.
  8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    We struggled because as SAF admitted he was being stubborn, and ignored the game plan that WAS successful.

Random fact.

9. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Somehow people seem to be reading me saying this was a decent result as an overall defense of Moyes. It isn't. He should be fired. He should have been fired months ago. The squad he does have is miles better than the results he has gotten with it, and that is unacceptable. Now that bit's out of the way, I will say that I do believe we needed 3-4 world class players to really have a squad that was level with the best in the world. Yes, we did well against Madrid last year, but even with Fergie at the helm this year would anyone have considered us amongst the favorites for the CL? No chance. We needed at least 1 CM, a winger (yes we have loads, but which beyond Nani on the rare occasion he's fit and firing is good enough for that level?) and 1-2 defenders (replacement for Evra, additional CB). Do they all need to be world class? It's a poorly defined term, so I'll concede that point if you like, but they needed to be starter quality.

Again, those are not players that were required to compete for the league title, or to be miles better than we have been. The squad that we do have is certainly capable of that, and Moyes failure in that area is inexcusable. Somehow a year ago it was consensus that the squad needed strong reinforcements to get back to the top of Europe, and now anyone who says it is seen as defending Moyes. They're two entirely different points that have no relation to each other.

10. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    "Somehow a year ago it was consensus that the squad needed strong reinforcements to get back to the top of Europe, and now anyone who says it is seen as defending Moyes. They're two entirely different points that have no relation to each other"

Good point especially the quoted bit above.

11. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought he did pretty well. It was difficult to make too much of an impact as we obviously didn't see much of the ball, but on the few occasions he was able to get on the ball he mostly did a good job of keeping the ball against the press and retaining possession (with the exception of one notable time when he tried to be a bit too cute and lost out in a dangerous area). Defensively, I thought he did fine. He's never going to be confused for a destroyer but he understands how to cut off angles and force the ball away from dangerous areas.

12. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    That was what I noticed too, he would press Robben and then Robben would pass sideways instead of a forward pass into Man United's penalty box. How do you feel about his pressing ability?

13. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i just wish that moyes would try a 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 with two playmakers just once this year. why not vs newcastle?

--------carrick
    ------mata - kagawa-----
    januzaj---rooney-----welbeck

14. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, we haven't gotten to see much of it as the team so rarely presses, particularly this year. On those rare occasions, I've found it to be quite good. He works pretty hard, and again the understanding of angles and space serve him well. He's an intelligent player and he does a good job of forcing the ball back to the other pressing players and preventing the outlet ball that breaks the press. A lot of times that work goes to waste though as we don't press effectively as a team and have other players who don't press well. For example, Kagawa will clearly show a player back into the press, but other players fail to read his angle and back off, etc. Again though, all of this is based in very small samples.

15. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    How did you think about his pressing work yesterday in the match against Bayern though? And how do you think of his pressing on Robben particularly?

16. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
  17. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Precisely darling.

19. djcandle19

djcandle19 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Nation's Capitol
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been asking this very question and the consensus on this board is that "they'll get overrun in midfield."

I still don't see what that has to do with anything when you're dictating the match with the ball, but I think the answer is more of a cultural one to where the premier league is based on strength first, ability second.

20. tyrant

tyrant Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As opposed to the other times where we don't get overrun in midfield?

21. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This post was brought to you by Late 1980's Football Stereotypes.

It's no longer based on strength. It's based on workrate. But not just any workrate, oh no. The intelligent, tactical midfielder who maintains a level of mental focus for 90 minutes that would give Joey Barton a brain hemorrhage, can sod off.

We want - nay demand - the blue-arsed fly, headless chicken kind of workrate. We want Brave John Terry hurling himself in front of cannonball shots. We want Wayne Rooney 60 yards out of position, effectively eliminating the team's only attacking outlet so he can clumsily tackle someone in his own half. We want wank Sunderland midfielders for whom "technique" is a fancy type of lego being "here, there and every-f***ing-where".

This is what plucky World Cup eliminations are made of. In August we can look Johnny Foreigner in the eye and say "we may have been shit, but by god, did we run a lot!".

FCB_KVB and djcandle19 repped this.
  22. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know what England you've been watching for the last few years....but there ain't a lot of running going on (except for maybe the occasional fast-no technique winger). The majority of games consist of complete lack of movement when on the ball, and all back to penalty area when off it. Most of the games we've taken slow to a new level. Running a lot (in terms of runs, looking for the ball, finding space, closing down) would make a nice change.

23. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was thinking about club performance. They are simply not deployed correctly for England. And "fast-no technique winger" is not the preferred nomenclature. The term is "England's saviour".

We should never have let Venables leave.

PS: "(in terms of runs, looking for the ball, finding space, closing down)" You can keep these new fangled, fancy continental ideas to yourself. The day our players stopped going down the pub for 12 pints and a few ciggies at halftime and started eating salads is where it all went wrong.

24. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So it is.

25. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

You're assuming that Mata and Shinji will dictate the match so much so that they never would have to defend.

And I'm far from that train of thought. But playing two no 10's is waaay on the other side of that spectrum. Its Wenger esque and even he rectified his mistake.