U23 WNT Kicks off 2012

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Tokonta, Jan 9, 2012.

1. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    If it is just a camp, the various national teams are always inviting in players to have a look. So you might think player A is solidly on the team, and you might be correct, and that very solidness is what causes the coach to leave her off a roster to look at someone else.

There is always the question of injury, which is the most common reason for youth players to be unavailable. A week-long camp is a fairly grueling experience, and an injury that might not have much consequence during a season become significant if it is going to be exposed to a week-long camp. The same is true for something like the La Manga tournament. If you play three games in 5 days an injury can mean you take player B instead of player A, even if that injury to player A wouldn't impact a season much. In a season you can rest the player during the week and even to some extent during games, which makes no sense for the national team who can easily just take a different player who would be fully available.

2. TheAusMan

TheAusMan Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Interesting that Henderson is not on this roster. She is age eligible and it's her college coach and you would think it would help her find a club to play for. Is Rachel Quon eligible? I would assume they had a few players not accept the invite if Randy took jazmin Hall from ND. Not even a starter until this year and not even one of the best defenders on ND's team. As a Notre dame fan, I'm happy for her.

3. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Henderson on the SBFC group that's going to Japan? (I don't know timing though so it might have been possible for her to go on both?)

4. ZoroTheSlacker

ZoroTheSlacker A Sophomore Dad

Feb 12, 2012
    Slower but more detailed... http://www.nationalsoccerwire.com/news/700/15950

"The U.S. was forced to make its first change of the match in the 27th minute after goalkeeper Bianca Henninger sustained an ankle injury during a collision with Swedish forward Kosovare Asllani, "

I would guess Adrianna Franch started today. Tough if we lost. I have not found any reports yet.

5. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    We're fans of Bianca, but we've seen Adrianna Franch here, and she's awesome too - so no worries.

6. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Darn! I spoke too soon - US defeated by England today :(

7. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    From Coach Randy's tweets:

(1) US U-23's win Four Nations Tourney w/5-0 win over Norway..goals by Farrelly (2), Brooks, Lytle, Marlborough..way to respond..Champions

(2) Amber Brooks named Four Nations MVP after 5-0 win over Norway

(3) Amber Brooks pulls a Sergio Ramos and drops and breaks the championship trophy seconds after accepting it from the tournament organizer!

If Waldrum ever stops coaching he should become the press guy for US Soccer.

Congrats to the U23s! Good week so far for US soccer.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    More Waldrum tweets:

9. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Amber had the best of the conversation:

Randy Waldrum‏@NDCoachWaldrum: I've never seen anyone break two trophies in one move! Great job Amber Brooks...not only the team trophy, but your MVP trophy as well.

Amber Brooks‏@abrooks22: thanks for the shout out coach! I'll practice my trophy accepting skills so I'm prepared for next December!

As a Notre Dame fan, I know what that means.

Congrats again to the U23s.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Next December...meaning College Cup. A UNC star saying that to her U-23 coach who's also the Coach of Notre Dame.

As a Notre Dame fan yes, I have to admit she got the best of that twitter conversation.

11. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
  12. footie101

footie101 Member

Feb 15, 2012
    California
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The USWNT U-23 squad will have a game against Sweden tomorrow June 15th:

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-23-WNT/2012/06/U23-WNT-to-Travel-to-Norway.aspx

Randy Waldrum's squad for this 3 Nations Tournament in Norway:

U.S. U-23 WNT Roster By Position: GOALKEEPERS (2): Brittany Anghel (Syracuse; East Meadow N.Y.), Adrianna Franch (Oklahoma; Salina, Kan.)
    DEFENDERS (5): Natasha Anasi (Duke; Arlington, Texas), Cami Levin (Pali Blues; Newport Coast, Calif.), Toni Pressley (New England Mutiny; Melbourne, Fla.), Elli Reed (Boston Breakers; Park City, Utah), Meredith Speck (Long Island Fury; Rockville Centre, N.Y.)
    MIDFIELDERS (5): Amber Brooks (North Carolina; New Hope, Pa.), Amanda DaCosta (Boston Breakers; Somers, N.Y.), Christine Nairn (Penn State; Annapolis, Md.), Meleana Shim (Santa Clara; Honolulu, Hawaii), Ingrid Wells (Kopparberg/Goteborg FC; Montclair, N.J.)
    FORWARDS (5): Sarah Hagen (Bayern Munich; Appleton, Wis.), Melissa Henderson (Boston Breakers; Garland, Texas), Morgan Marlborough (Santa Clara; Kansas City, Mo.), Stephanie Ochs (WNY Flash; San Diego, Calif.), Gabriella Toulouse (Ragsveds IF; Arlington, Va.)

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Apparently Melissa Henderson could not go on this trip and had to cancel in the last minute because her car was broken into in Boston and her passport was stolen. (Read Waldrum's June 13 blog).

I talked to her a couple of weeks ago in Chicago when the Breakers were playing the Red Stars and what a nice person. Very friendly. I feel so bad for this kid.

http://www.und.com/blog/2012/06/coach-waldrum-arrives-in-norway.html

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Today's result (from the same source) is a 4:1 USA win over Norway.

17. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    From Coach Randy's tweets: "US U-23's win Three Nations Cup in Norway by defeating Norway 4-1 today...goals by Hagen, Marlborough, DaCosta, & Ochs! Congrats USA" - way to go, U23s!

18. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-23-WNT/2012/06/U23-WNT-Falls-to-Norway-42-in-Friendly-Match.aspx

Now that the U-23 season is finished for the year was it a success or failure?

Pro's
    Won 2 tournaments?
    Introduced many new players to International soccer.
    Were able to see many new/exciting places.
    Con's
    Competition was not all that great!
    Overall record interesting given the latitude of players and Coach!
    Players invited to camp(s) or not invited to camps invited to tournaments.

What say you?

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For one thing, it's great to see that Waldrum does not feel that they have to win every game, as evidenced by their losing in a friendly to Norway 4-2 following completion of the Four Nations Tournament. Four of the regular starters in the tournament -- Franch, Reed, DaCosta, and Nairn -- did not play in the first half (during which Norway scored all 4 of its goals). And, the ones who did not start any games in the tournament (other than #2 keeper Anghel) played the entire game.

Metline repped this.
  20. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    So now US Soccer has announced all camp lists except for U-23. Anyone know why?

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The u23's traditionally work a shorter and later schedule than the othe ynt's, and often have players from both the full team and u20 camps or players the staff want to see that didn't make the other camps for whatever reason.

The isn't really any pressure to start at a specific time, since most countries don't field u23 teams and there is no World Cup for the age group.

22. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    My point was more that they have already called up the players for Spain - why not announce it?

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I'm not at all sure they have selected the team yet.

They may be waiting to see which full team candidates and u20 players to place there. La Manga isn't until Feb. 26, by which time current camps will be done. If they decide, for instance, Julie Johnson isn't ready for the full team, they will almost certainly put her on the u23 squad for more playing time.

It's the way they did it in the past when Bill Irwin was coach during years when they still experimented with young players.

Katreus repped this.
  24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006