U20 CONCACAF Champions League

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by soccersubjectively, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Could you name the countries outside of Mexico that have full U-20 squads at all of their first division clubs?

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree, but the college system is getting in the way of that.

3. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #28 Athazagoraphobia, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    I'm not sure about ALL of the first division clubs but to my knowledge, the stronger Central American leagues have some sort of U20 competition (Jamaica, Honduras, Costa Rica, El Salvador). I'm not sure about Panama but it wouldn't surprise me if they had it either.

If we count the aforementioned 4 + Mexico then that 's enough to make the MLS the minority. I hope CONCACAF does not function around what the US has in mind especially considering you guys don't even have the strongest development league in this weak region.

4. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    How is a tournament that involves all countries in CONCACAF gonna work 100% if not all countries are 100% set themselves?

5. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I've answered that question. The only real enigma seems to lie in the Caribbean. Funny thing is CONMEBOL has a U-20 Copa Libertadores and some of the teams taking part are not the same teams who are in the senior Copa Libertadores...

interesting to say the least.

6. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Fair enough then. Whats the prize? Money?

7. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think it's simple. We include the countries who can participate. Asking Guatemala, Nicaragua and the like to participate in a tournament like this may be a bit too much at the moment. However, once they're at that stage, they'd be welcome to join.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All talking shit and you all forget about the CFU.

They have the votes, not the money, that is in North America (Mexico, USA and Canada).

But the CCL loses money, a U-what ever would lose even more money.

9. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Maybe things should start a bit slower with a U-20 Gold Cup and take it from there - it would be a good incentive for those countries that don't already have U-20 tournaments to develop them.

On the other hand the Gold Cup is a shit tournament that nobody really takes that seriously anyway, and there's already the youth world cup qualification tournaments for national teams, so maybe an U-20 GC would be redundant afterall.