U14 BNT Camp March 22-30

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

CHICAGO (March 17, 2014) – Head coach Tony Lepore has named a 32-player roster for the Under-14 Boys’ National Team training camp that will be held March 22-30 at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, Calif.

GOALKEEPERS (4) : Alexander Budnik (Sockers FC; Arlington Heights, Ill.), Quantrell Jones (Baltimore Celtics; Baltimore, Md.), Johan Penaranda (BW Gottschee; Long Beach, N.Y.), Hunter Pinho (PDA; Cranford, N.J.)

DEFENDERS (9): Charlie Asensio (Georgia United; Rosewell, Ga.), Zico Bailey (Las Vegas Heat; Las Vegas, Nev.), John Hilton (Chivas USA; Long Beach, Calif.), Jaylin Lindsey (Charlotte SA; Charlotte, N.C.), Dorian Morrison (FC Golden State; Chino Hills, Calif.), Ian Murphy (FC Golden State; Redlands, Calif.), Tyler Shaver (NYSC; Riverside, Conn.), Chandler Vaughn (D.C. United; Woodbridge, Va.); Rayshaun McGann (Boca United; Royal Palm Beach, Fla.)

MIDFIELDERS (10): George Acosta (Weston FC; Miami, Fla.), Carlos Anguiano Dias (Chivas USA; Los Angeles, Calif.), Jake Arteaga (LAFA; Glendora, Calif.), Jean-Julien Foe Nuphaus (San Jose Earthquakes; San Jose, Calif.), Christopher Goslin (United Futbol Academy; Locust Grove, Ga.), Jacob Muchnick (LA Galaxy; Newport Beach, Calif.), Matteo Ritaccio (BW Gottschee; Westbury, N.Y.), Jesus Sahagun (Weston FC; Miami, Fla.), Amos Shapiro-Thompson (New England Revolution; Worthington, Mass.), Sean Zawadzki (Crew Soccer Academy; Olmsted Falls, Ohio)

FORWARDS (9): Ayo Akinola (Toronto FC; Brampton, Ontario), Andrew Carleton (United Futbol Academy; Powder Springs, Ga.), Jalen James (Dallas Texans; Dallas, Texas), Niccolo Lemoine (Ballistic USC; Pleasanton, Calif.), Nicolas Morillo (Weston FC; Miami, Fla.), Joshua Sargent (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri; O’Fallon, Mo.), Jack Valderrabano (New York Red Bulls; New York, N.Y.), Timothy Weah (New York Red Bulls; Rosedale, N.Y.), Tristan Weber (LA Galaxy; San Clemente, Calif.) ​

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/u-14-n...m/2014/03/130317-ntc-march-training-camp.aspx

It's extremely (though I am pretty sure not unprecedented) unusual to see the USYNT's calling up a Canada-based player; of course, I have no idea how Akinola came to be in Canada in the first place, or whether he is a dual citizen.

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Isn't Wilmer Cabrera's kid supposed to be one of the studs of this group? Guess Lepore doesn't think so.

One of the new faces is Johan Penaranda, birthdate Jan 1.

3. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    We know the only reason a top player isn't in this one camp is due to Tony Lepore's ineptitude.
    Just like a top player like Ricky Mendez not being there is due to Lepore not liking him. Think.

ARSENAL#1 repped this.
  4. ARSENAL#1

ARSENAL#1 Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ricky Mendez's exclusion is an eye raiser. This Kid has been attending National team camps for a while now. He even looked good last year when he was attending the 99 camps. Got selected to ID2 trip to Italy and was one of the better players during the trip. I think at this stage, he is the best player in northern cali as a 2000.

5. ARSENAL#1

ARSENAL#1 Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that Latinos don't get much love from Lepore. Sorry, had to say it....

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    jeebus.

Let's not overanalyze the selections for a U14 roster. There can be any number of reasons why certain kids aren't there.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Ricky Mendez is one of the county's best 2000's and he's not at this particular camp. There are so many reasons a kid isn't there despite being in his back yard. The captain of the ID2 team Carlo Ritaccio isn't there either. Injury, family commitments, exhaustion from coming from long Italy trip 2 weeks sooner, just wanting to look at a few other players, its not always someone's incompetence.

Winoman repped this.
  8. ARSENAL#1

ARSENAL#1 Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just out of curiosity, I hear there are 9 full time youth national team scouts around the country, plus like 80 part timers. Seems like you know quite a bit on our youth national system, do you know who these scouts are from? and who they are?

9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I don't have specifics on who the per diem scouts are or where they are from. For me it would be interesting to know because skill assessment is such an important aspect of overall talent identification and scouting in general.
    Would love to know their resumes.
    I'm sure the 9 full time scouts are available out there some where for the skilled googler.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...ret-service-network-mens-national-team-070313

10. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before I moved for school, while playing my club soccer in Chicago, our technical director for the club was also the head coach of the Loyola University soccer team and a part time youth national team scout. So my best guess is that the majority of the part time scouts are people like him: individuals with local clubs who also know what the next level looks like (or at least are assumed to).

11. ARSENAL#1

ARSENAL#1 Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had read article before but could not find further info., thanks

12. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    I wonder if there is typo and they selected the wrong Ritaccio!!

13. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    yep Goulet repping the USSF in the barren soccer land of TN.

14. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Indeed. Of course, George Weah Jr. was also once a frequent topic of conversation here. Even had a YNT cup of coffee...

16. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the Galaxy took advantage of Zico being in Carson as the rich get richer. It's nice to see teams trying to cast a wide net over players without a DA in the area.
    LA Galaxy Academy ‏@LAGalaxyAcademy 2m
    The @LAGalaxyAcademy would like to welcome @ZicoBailey to the club. Top 2000 prospect in the country. Another U14 USYNT player. Welcome Zico

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    That's a nice pick up for the Galaxy. Thus far, the Galaxy have been more about recruiting than anything else. I did notice Mike Munoz (the U16 DA coach) also with the U14s this past weekend. He's a good coach, so if he can do double duty with the U14s that will help the youngers' development.

18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The U14 BNT ('00s) will play the LA Galaxy U14s (primarily '99s) this Wed. night.

Michael Munoz ‏@MikeEMunoz 10h
    Watched 15s and 14s USYNTs train this morning. Excited to play them Wed night with our @LAGalaxyAcademy 16s and 14s. Good test for our boys.

19. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Munoz et al doing double duty bc kleiban u14 coach declined offer from LAG. Curious that he prefers to stay with a sh&@ organization than join the juggernaut. Probably prefers the position of big fish in small pond but no room for pro grow.

20. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If you read the blog of Brian Kleiban's brother, Gary, http://blog.3four3.com/ , and Gary's tweets, you'll understand how anti-establishment they see themselves. Gary talks about having some long-term plan that will bring their philosophy and methodology to the forefront of U.S. soccer. Even those who don't agree with Gary concede he has some provocative ideas. I just hope that Brian finds his way going forward. He is a very talented coach. Even though his Chivas USA U13 team lost in the semifinals of CalSouth National Cup, it was clear to me that his team was by far the best coached, and played the most fundamentally sound soccer, of any team in that age group. Unfortunately, as is often the case in youth soccer, his team was beaten by bigger, stronger, more mature players.

Tom Collingsworth and ARSENAL#1 repped this.
  21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Not sure what kind of pro growth the Galaxy would offer. Notably, neither Todd Saldana nor Thomas Dooley stuck around after the South Bay Force became the Galaxy South Bay.

22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Gary does make some good points a lot of the time, but he just comes off as a complete douchebag when making those points.