U.S. Women Playing Abroad

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by futbolreal, Sep 3, 2010.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    debzy probably has a better handle on it than me, but here's a link to the statutes that define the federal contracts. here's how minimum gross monthly salary is determined : 1 point = 13,75€. a player who had been considered pro the previous season (rapinoe's case) has 250 points . a player who had not been pro but is a foreign national (stout's case) has 180 points... for the standard legal work week of 35 hours. footballers are considered part-time so there's a pro-rata of that for time actually at the disposition of the club, with a minimum of 21 hrs... which with, say 6 practices a week, one match, plus travel and other duties, is probably very close to what they actually put in (when exceeded they get overtime). in short that's 3437€ gross for pinoe and 2475€ for libby... gross... out of which comes approx 22% payroll contributions. so take home would come to 2681€ ($3570) for MR and 1930€ ($2570) for LS. they also should get a lump sum for holiday pay at the end of the contract of about 10% of their total earnings.

to be boringly exhaustive (my specialty), up to 15% of this legal minimum can be in the form of different bonuses and fringe benefits. 85% of it must be base salary. the bonuses (my guess is about 100€ per match) might or might not sweeten the pot a bit for libby, but guarantee that housing or any other perks are over and above. she may have to contribute herself to a complementary insurance plan to cover 100% of all health related expenses (sécurité sociale covrs about 80%) but that could be covered by the club, there are plans sponsored by the leagues that they subscribe to and can get good rates.

match bonuses for megan may not be any more consequential, but there are other bonuses for winning trophies... that for winning the CL is probably pretty tasty. and OL has so many players with so much insurance that i'm sure hers is 100% footed by the club.

the last thing to cover is income taxes. stout, as a bone fide resident of france (6 months) earning less than the maximum foreign earned income exclusion (see IRS form 2555) needs only pay the french internal revenue. and you may be surprised to learn that for people in our modest (well, my modest) bracket pay less in france than you do in the states. rapinoe on the other hand will have to pay both taxmen unless she prolongs her stay to 6 months... or come back next fall ;).

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    this article which i linked to in the horan thread gives her monthly pay as 3333.33€. (120k€ over 3 years or roughly $52k p.a.). but although i'm sure une-deux has the salary figure spot on (they apparently have a well-placed mole) i doubt they put as much rigorous accounting acumen into their version as i did above; there have been so many versions of the story (one saying she was going to make 10 times what lotta schelin does, meaning a cool 2 mil per year :ROFLMAO:) that my guess is that there's an education fund as well.

3. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Great info and fascinating stuff.

I still have deja vu somethings missing. For $33k why would you hire a keeper out of school with no national experience? I could see paying $20, but at the mid-thirties you're into a higher class of player. There are goalkeepers in the top 10 in the world who don't make that.

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well, they did try her out before signing her... and they're very pleased with their deal. like i said, i only watched her play once, but that, along with her stats plus what i've read about her in french forums makes me think she may BE one of the 10 most talented GK's in the world. she sure impressed the hell outta me! i'm not sure how much staying in the topflight is worth to YAA in money terms, but w/o stout i'm not sure they would have managed (they were just promoted) and right now they're practically a lead pipe cinch.

they would have had to pay ANY foreign keeper what they're paying libby (and it may not be what i interpret; i would like debzy to go over my figures).

finally, i saw their backup keeper warming up before the game... such a little thing... i'm sure she's a very nice girl and a good daughter and sister, but if stout had gone out when she got banged in the head (she was on the ground about 5 minutes) its certain OL would have won 13-0 instead of 3-0. if they were in the pre-season market precisely for a keeper it was for good reason.

a last plug : if i were a NWSL club manager i would fly someone out here to scout her... on march 31st in paris for example. if nothing else it's a good tax deductible weekend in the city of lights!

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Thanks to guignol for all that.

One thing though,

As a USA citizen working overseas, you generally will only have to pay the difference between what a foreign government taxes you and what you would normally have to pay if you were employed in the USA.

It does take a bit of accounting work, though. What is included in income here and there is a bit different.

I've had to hire people to figure it out.

And Rapinoe is probably not a good example. She has a USWNT residency contract which gives her money no matter where she goes, and she has and endorsement deal or two. If there were no USA league at all, she would still be fine and might do better staying home than going overseas.

6. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    guignol , I am pretty sure you are right from head to toe ....great job :thumbsup:..... the only thing I can add is, usually health related problems is cover by the clubs ,bonus is only in case of victory and it depends on clubs , I know Guigamp paid 100 so probably Yzeure too.....
    Lizzy is having terrific year so is definetly good money spent for Yzeure the only "problem" will be next year when big clubs and nwsl will come knocking on her door.....

7. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    PSG just recruited Tobin Heath on a six month contract

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    It appears the USA isn't alone in having teams fold.

FCR 2001 Duisberg is facing insolvency and hasn't paid players, including US player Elli Reed.

What's the usual course of these types of proceedings? FIFA says players can go elsewhere immediately if they aren't paid. Does UEFA have policies in place? Will the Bundesligue bail them out until they can reorganize?

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    there's no way the bundesliga would bail them out. it's not scotland, they have to be fair to ALL the clubs.

it's not necessarily FIFA or UEFA that decides if they can go elsewhere. if they're not paid the contract is broken and that's that. however, competititions have rules that can limit players' possibilities. in france for example, you're only allowed to play for one D1 club in a season. the CL is the same; if duisberg had played a CL match their players would be ineligible to play that comp for anyone else this season.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, under article 6 of transfer regulations FIFA says it can void any such provisions if contracts are terminated for just cause( nonpayment being just cause). I'm not sure it matter in Reed's case.

Also, FIFA says that even in normal situations, a player can register with three clubs and play for two clubs in one season. A league may restrict that, but she could go to another league.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/aff.../64/30/regulationsstatusandtransfer2010_e.pdf

They may not be eligible for CL if the integrity of competition is compromised, but that just means a player couldn't play in those competitions. And players are free to transfer to other associations, as that wouldn't compromised the integrity of competition in leagues. Looking at FCR duisberg's position in the table, they aren't in the CL anyway, are they?

My main concern was the likelihood she could walk away from her 2 year contract and come to the USA. If the Bundesligue doesn't bail the team out and pay players, the contract is terminated.

No UEFA additional restrictions would apply.

11. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    I remember the case of a player who's Spanish club owed him a considerable amount of money. If he walked he knew he would have a much more difficult time getting paid.

I presume this is why the Duisburg coach left a couple weeks ago.

If the club goes down they will remove all points in games they've played this year, so logically if a player has never played in the league this season they would be free to play elsewhere.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Yeah, I thought it interesting that "personal disease" was listed, but he coached as an assistant right away. Must be a disease specific to head coaches.

And I'm sure we aren't talking about huge amounts of money in this league, certainly not enough to hang around for 6 months.

They would have to eventually pay her if they still exist, or FIFA will decertify them. If they don't exists, she wont get money anyway.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  14. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Not surprising, the German federation may not have sanctions against going into recivership but I am pretty sure dropping out during the seasson would lose them the spot in the league and force them to restart much lower in the system. So 1st priority must be to keep playing and they need players to do that.

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I'm not clear from the wording in the translation....

Is the money being set aside from liquidating the club, or from a German Federation fund of some sort that acts as a bridge?

It doesn't seem possible that selling off a team could be that quick.

16. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    I think it been mentioned before, the Federation don't bail out clubs.
    Most likely the recivership have demead it resonable to keep paying players to keep the club going and try to save it after reconstructing costs and posible incomes. Cutting the players would mean no poissbility to continue or get any more income (pretty much impossible to get sponsor or buyer to a team that dosen't play). They can always cut the player later but they can't uncut them when they well have done so and when they done it the team is worthless.

Diclaimer: My knowledge of the German federation and laws is limited but in most ways it is very similar to the Swedish about which I know a lot. But European federations never (as far as I know) bail out clubs (if the clubs is big and important enough the govermnet might but not the federation), the promotion/regulation system make sure there are always clubs ready to step up and leting the failed ones go broke (or fix their own messes) keep the system healthy and give bettyr oportuinities for well run ones.

17. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Some similarities to the structure of Australia's Westfield W-League...who, BTW, just completed Season Five with their highest attendance numbers and revenues yet (they were just short of the record for a W-League match [approx. 4, 200] at this year's Grand Finale, which drew appox. 4,100 paying customers). Sponsorships were also up, as well as the International talent and number of Matildas staying home. There are CBA talks for the women, as well as renogotiating of TV contracts, etc...very positive for the league, as well as Women's Football overall.

18. NilamCA

NilamCA Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Resurrecting this old thread. Anyone know of websites that would have a current listing of US players on foreign teams?

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a thread in the USWNT forum for "Yank Women Abroad." You'd have to scroll through the last few pages to see what's current and its surely not exhaustive, but you'd get a good idea. I'm not sure of any centralized place for US women players overseas; you'd probably have to go through rosters from each league to get a full current list.