U.S. Women Playing Abroad

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by futbolreal, Sep 3, 2010.

1. thfan

thfan New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    chalupny is AIK

2. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    SiberianThunderT repped this.
  3. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    It do not say which her first game will be.

5. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    whats the best women's soccer league in the world?

i think with the size of the US a women's soccer league will always be financially difficult. Too much costs with travel etc. And the MLS is not in the position of the NBA to subsidize a women's league.

i would think one of the English women's teams would consider singing some of the USA female stars. Or is there just no money there also?

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best leagues are probably Sweden, Germany, France. There's a whole thread about the possibility of a new league for women that discusses US vs. other leagues and how to make a US league operate for longer than 3 years.

One of the English teams will announce the signing soon of a USWNT pool player (not an Olympian), but they said the WNT players they talked to were too pricey. All these leagues are semi-pro and pay the foreign and local stars reasonably well, but the pay drops off pretty quickly.

7. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Germany is probably the best currently, Sweden is lacking in the top (not reached a CL final for a while) and France in depth (excpet OL no French team is even close to reach CL semi).

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Emma Hayes tweeted "I'm looking forward to introducing a top WPSL player to the WSL. Registration closed today so only one addition to the Chelsea team"

9. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Brittany Bock has signed for Vittsjö in Damallsvenskan. Landed yesterday morning.

10. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    She was there for that game but all paperwork had not been finnished (club wairing for the federations to finnish it), they hope she can play in their the next match (on Sunday).

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  12. keithscarlett

keithscarlett New Member

Mar 10, 2012
    Joondalup, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tori Huster (Florida State, WNY Flash) is with Newcastle Jets - Westfield W-League - Australia

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Libby Stout was injured today in Yzeure's 0-8 defeat against Lyon. It's not yet sure how long she'll be out.

she turned her ankle coming out against abily and was on the ground for about 5 minutes being attended to, but stayed in the game until the last 15 minutes.

14. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Updates in the Italian championship: US player Aricca Vitanza and her sister (?) Catiana Vitanza this year will play in the SerieA team Como.
    Meanwhile GK Katherine Loomis is no more in the Napoli roster, I couldn't find anything about her current team (if there is one).

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confirmed sisters:

Immediately following the first round of the UEFA tournament, Aricca traveled to the Italian city of Sassari, on the island of Sardegna, home of top Italian Serie A club Eurospin Torres. (www.torrescalciofemminile.it) She and her sister Catiana were offered spots on the club and soon signed for the team. Aricca spent a year with the club, helping them become Supercoppa Italian champions as well as advance far in UEFA Women's Champions League; competing against the top clubs from all over Europe.

Source: http://www.ariccavitanza.com/index.php?lang=en&page=Biography

gricio61 repped this.
  16. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Catiana stopped football two years ago , to concentrate on her fashion production , she produce shorts panst for women, good to see she is back .
    In my opinion she is more talented than her sister , less fast but more technical.

gricio61 repped this.
  17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i posted this first in the french D1 thread because i couldn't find this one. but for once, i'm going to double post the interview Libby Stout was kind enough to grant me last saturday.

exref, Katreus and jocasta repped this.
  18. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  19. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    When you have a dream, and you've had it for as long as you can remember, because that's how it was for me, then do not give up on it. Going back to the first question: how does a girl from Western Kentucky get here?, it's because I dreamed, and never stopped trying to get to where I wanted to be.

Flights home and living expenses can be pretty dear. I don't believe you can legally take secondary employment as a North American either. Do mid-table teams in Division 1 pay thousands of euros a month?

20. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Interestingly enough, the demographics of the new US league are spread out almost the same as the W-League in Australia. East-Coast heavy with minimal teams on West Coast. Australia crosses 3-4 time-zones from coast-to-coast, as does the US...I don't think geography and travel will be an issue if there's proper funding - if there's not proper $, then travel will be the least of their concerns...

21. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The average salary is 1500~2000 euro per month.......usually housing is very affordable because most of these clubs have strong links with the municipality......bonus in case of victory are some hundreds euro .I think most of the americans choose to play abroad because of the experience , definetly not for the money.

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    your point being?
    all as true as can be.

i would think that stout makes a little more than the standard contrat federal, but definitely not a fortune. i'd imagine housing is offered as a perk (don't think the housing crush in the allier is too bad) and a certain number of airfares as well. certainly the first one as she came for a tryout, and most businesses would do that for a sought-after job interviewee.

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Today INAC Kobe Leonessa, Japan's champion, announced its roster for 2013 season, and Rebecca Moros and Beverly Goebel-Yanez are still in it. There was no official announcement about the renewal of their contracts, but if they are in the official list, i guess they're going to pass another year in Japan.

Micol repped this.
  24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    considering the $18k USD average that will be paid out in the nwsl ( no bonus for victories) it does not sound so bad . The USA average works out to less than the lower end of the Euro league figure ( under €1,100 per month) for the average free agent or draft player in the NWSL. I'm not sure players can expect cheap housing, either.

And the salaries in Europe aren't capped. Wasn't the Horan announced figure considerably higher?

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NWSL is on record that teams will provide housing.

I'm sure the thread is somewhere around here, but Horan's deal was announced as a "six figure deal", but it appears to be about $60k per year plus college tuition. Much better than any NWSL player is likely to get, but not "life altering".