U.S. Women Playing Abroad

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by futbolreal, Sep 3, 2010.

1. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Catherine Loomis, who played in Iceland in 2010, has recently signed with Napoli in Italy as 2nd GK, and, although her trasfer papers aren't yet ready, she's already training with the team.
    Napoli is currently playing in Serie A2, since now won all matches and is leading her round with a large margin, so most likely will play in Serie A next year.

2. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Does anyone know if the American who was training w/ Lyon during the summer is still w/ Lyon now? If, so does anyone know how she in D1 Feminine?

3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    She went to UNC.

4. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Juliana Edwards, who got relegated from the 2nd Frauen-Bundesliga with Saarbrücken last year, now plays for 3rd league club SV Bardenbach (who are hoping to get promoted to 2nd Frauen-Bundesliga at the end of the season).

5. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Do you know her name? Cuz I can't find the article were I read that she was training at Lyonnais. I thought she was 17?

6. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Lindsey Horan?
    Info about her stay in Lyon here:
    Part 1
    Part 2

7. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One problem I have w/ Pia selection process is that she insists of converting CB and FW and such to play Left Fullback. Outta all the players Americans playing in the W-League and aboard are there no LB out there to pick from?

Reason I bring this up because Pia selection process of NT players pretty much consist of WPS players expect Kreiger. Dunga the Brazil national team coach of Brazil form 06-2010 imo is one of the best coaches every in terms of his selection process. Guy didn't just take players who were playing for big clubs in Europe, La Liga and Serie A. He selected player that were playing in Russia, Turkey, Greece and Brazil.

It's debatable that WPS is the best league in the world on the women side. With the number of American playing abroad right now, why wasn't there more interest in one of those prospects?

Why can't or doesn't Pia pick a LB from the W-League or one of the American internationally for the LB position in the past?

I find the concept interesting.

8. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i'm not sure what to make of pia. when i hear reports that becky edwards is a dog in practice for the national team but is pretty a team captain for wny than winters who can't hold possession for 10 secs in a wps game gets a spot on the national team, i'm clueless on the whole process over at NT headquarters.

dunga's ego turned him into Lima II

9. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Newsouth I'm talking about his selection process and willingness to select from not just the big clubs(in the womens cases the WPS) but from all over Europe and local Brazil(in the womens cases europe/W-league). Outside of Krieger Pia didn't select anyone esle from Europe or from the W-League. The WPS had 6teams last year and what 9teams the year before. Not every US player can play on these rosters there's not enough spots a descent amount of US players who were about of the youth teams over the last 5 years u17-u23 and college players didn't/won't make the WPS rosters because there aren't enough spots w/ Foreign players and American player filling the rosters.

So there has/had to be players in the W-league and Europe that could play LB or LM. Why didn't/doesn't Pia scout these areas not just WPS and player apart of the youth-NTs u23 pool?

10. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Well, even though their season is our off-season; I know of an Aussie W-League club already talking to an agent whom represents two members of the USWNT. I'm sure this won't be the first time this happens now that there is no WPS.

11. Garrincha911

Garrincha911 New Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Well, this thread's gonna be busy this year

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Dunga?

Hahahaha.

You do know he got fired, right?

13. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    The league is still aways off, but Rapinoe has signed on with Sidney of the Aussie W-League and Heath and Lindsey are about to sign with Perth...it appears that with the collapse of the WPS, they are looking for not only places to play now, but also in the off-season. Will provide a little stability for them in uncertain times. I wonder how many WPS players will end-up in Australia or South America, etc...this winter?!?!?!

14. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Obv you can't read. I said the guy was one of the best coaches in terms of scouting players for the nation team and not just selectling guys who play for big clubs. Dunga selected players from regions like Russia and Brazil for the nation team.

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is about American players playing abroad. It isn't about Dunga or Pia there are a hundred other threads in other forums (and even a few in this forum) for those topics.

philrothgeb, thanks for the info on the Aussie league.

Jill Loyden and Lydia Vandenbergh are going to play with Fortuna Hjørring.

16. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Sarah Hagen scored 2 goals in her debut for Bayern Munich.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been a while since anyone updated this thread. And I'll just get us started w/ a couple of players since I'm sure the rest of you can fill in the (big) gaps :)

Hagen & teammate Niki Cross seem to have had successful seasons w/ Bayern Munich.
    Rebecca Moros and Beverly Goebel are w/ INAC in Japan.
    Kendall Fletcher and Danesha Adams are with Vittjö in Sweden.

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that blog link, Cliveworshipper.

Jennifer Nobis continues at Piteå in Sweden.

20. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    American and Canadian soccer players in Sweden
    Damallsvenskan:
    No one in Tyresö, Jitex, Umeå, AIK or Djurgåden
    LdB Malmö: Ali Riley (NZ/US)
    Vittsjö: Ifeoma Dieke (SCO/US/NIG), Danesha Adams (US), Kendall Fletcher(US)
    Kristianstad: Rebecca Edwards (US)
    Linköping: Karen Bardsley (ENG/US)
    Kopparbergs/Göteborg: Christen Press (US), Ingrid Wells (US)
    Piteå: Jennifer Nobis (US), Lydia Williams (AUS/US)
    Örebro: Stephani Labbé (CAN)
    Nationality defined in order of: FIFA nationality, born in or having one or more parent from and mentioned in that order for those with more than one nationality. (FIFA/birth/parent).

Many probably most of the clubs in the two 2nd divison leagues have one or more North Americans, but it is harder to keep track of them so I only mention the ones from my hometown team:
    Norettan:
    Sirius: Sarah Elnicky(US), Allysha Chapman (CAN)

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the list, JanBalk.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elli Reed goes to Germany.
    @BostonBreakers
    9h
    Best of luck to defender @ellireed who will soon head overseas to play for FCR Duisburg in Germany's Frauen Bundesliga