U.S. Soccer Male Athlete of the Year Award

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by MadRHatter, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    So Dembele was holding Fulham back? Or because he isn't completely absent means - I can't even figure out that logic.

Most of his goals were one touch finishes, which I can understand why you think that means he's not skilled enough but I think it shows his read of the game and his contribution as a finisher. He's not getting the same looks with Tottenham. Doesn't mean he isn't skilled, it means it's not his system to thrive in. No easy way to say that he's sucking at Tottenham but it's not indicative of his skills.

You just don't score 23 goals in all competitions, 17 in the strongest league in the world, when you suck.

2. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your anti-Dempsey crusade borders on ridiculous.

I mean really...you're not going to convince anyone of your opinion on Dempsey because its just so over-the-top extreme.

3. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have watched several Spurs games, and this is just patently untrue.

If you think he's not visible, then you don't know what you're watching.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Dempsey, Bradley and Gomez should make the shortlist. With Boyd winning the Young Player of the Year award

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Roma is more of a Tottenham than a Fulham.

6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on my ignore list must be posting extensively in this thread. Either that, or I'm having an acid flashback. Since I've never done acid, I'm guessing it's the former.

8. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is invisible. I think Dempsey is a marginal player who needs everyone else to support him. He gives nothing.

Michael Bradley is the player of the year.

We overvalue goals.

9. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave Mackay
    • [​IMG]
    • Members
    • [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    • 14,996 posts
    • 9.06 posts per day
    • Joined 14-May 08
    • 291 topics
    Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:12 PM
    Yet another game, yet another thread saying how useless he is, and it's very much deserved.

No idea how he scored so many goals last season as all I can see is him being our worst player in the last 25 years of me watching us play.

10. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The above post is constantly posted by literally hundreds of people on the tottenham boards.

ranging from professional players in their lower leagues to coaches who love tottenham who coach over in professional leagues.

TAKE OFF THE ROSE COLORED GLASSES.

11. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    This has gone from utterly ridiculous to... what's the next category after utterly ridiculous?

12. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So despite media, journalists, scouts, fans and people over where he is actually playing saying he has been dreadfully bad and completely over his head we should ignore all of that evidence, proclamations and merely pretend that they are ALL wrong and we are right because of...

USA?? ?

13. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodness.

That's such an absurdly extreme opinion to hold that it doesn't really do you any good even to claim it.

14. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if he didn't play on a me-first team of players who think they are better than they are, he would have a better outcome. I don't think he wanted to go to Spurs anyhow.

15. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go away.

16. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    me first team who think they are better than they are???

wow...you know absolutely nothing about tottenham hotspur....

17. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch them every time they are on television.

Bale has too much freedom, and has never seen a shot he won't take. Defoe doesn't pick his head up to pass. Adebayor would rather get his leg kicked free from his hip than to look for a player making a run at the far post. Even Dembele has caught the illness.

The offense runs through those guys. If they had the spirit of Everton, or even Manchester United, they'd be a much more formidable opponent.

I don't know who it is who fosters that purely mercenary environment, but I can't imagine that there are too many worse in the world.

18. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch every single tottenham game. I have for the past 16 years.

I have seen some of the worst tottenham teams ever as have many of the fans.

the majority agree.

dempsey is one of the worst players they have seen in a spurs jersey in these pats 15-20 years.

thats a lot of crap players to beat out for the worst. some say Raziak was worse but as I told them he never actually got signed to the team and was loan out in february and didnt play in a PL game. he did appear in the carling cup etc...

I know Spurs. I have watched since 1995. Dempsey is so tactically inept and has no idea what to do with the ball when he gets it. It is embarassing to watch him have no clue.

He should be at fulham or another mid table team where he can get away with this crap.

19. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    proceed to tell us how dempsey has been so good this past 3 months...do tell...

20. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the big clubs you either perform when you get there or you are sent out.

lifes tough.

if you dont perform in your first 4 months odds are you wont be sticking around or have a place in the side.

injuries have benefited clint.

this is why players end up not surviving in a club.

in top 4 sides top 3 sides you dont get a year to gel.

you either make it or you dont.

clint has a few more months to try to gel (took vdv no time at all he was brilliant from the get go) as you put it.

PLayers know how to play. some get it and some dont. He doesnt. every article in the US media talks about how he is struggling but needs help.

In the UK they just say he looks shit.

21. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50 million pounds is why.

they have wanted him out but need strikers. they have none.

they know they are ********ed with that decision.

he is terrible. di mateo just didnt have anyone to play.

just as AVB doesnt have anyone to play he has to put clint out there.

its embarassing for torres to. he is shit. and everyone knows it. even him.

22. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also di mateo is a shit manager.

anyone could see he should play a 4-6-0 with that squad. so many talented midfielders just go with it. he could outpass any team with those players. instead he continually puts torres up top to no avail. meanwhile he rotates some of his best players. he would be better off just putting lampard up there at that rate.

his most dangerous players are in the midfield and he has no strikers.

i watched him make such idiotic subs against man united. he took oscar AND hazard off when he was down a goal.

idiotic. he did bring on sturridge...what an even dumber move.

oh yeah you give up now.

so far you have called me a high school and a bunch of names, and say i am too smart to get into a real conversation with you.

thats great.

so you cant inform anyone about why dempsey should be given time (he wont get it)
    you dont see the difference between a team hoping torres would find form because they spent 50 million on him compared to a player bought out of desperation for 6 million.

yeah I dont see levy having a lot of patience to get his 6 million back.

at least I offer something in the conversation.

You just call me names and get off on saying oh I cant talk to you because you are so dumb and cant offer an opinion because you would never understand it so I wont say anything because I can just make fun of you and then ignore you and never make a real comment about dempseys inability to do much of anything in his tenure with spurs despite getting a lot of chances.

you just want to use theo ld give it time routine.

23. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. So you realize everyone admits it was complete luck. No one felt that he outmanaged anyone in that tournament. The crossbar and woodwork had more to do with chelsea winning the champions league than he did.

He has infinitely better players this year and did ******** all with them.

Yes I know di mateo is out. Because he is a shit manager. they didnt even want him at west brom.

24. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooo a run on sentence. Use punctuation correctly in your internet message boards...

Just put your argument out there.

I'm not writing for a thesis or term paper. I am not looking to get into an erudite discussion about ********ing soccer.

It is just a message board.

25. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a run on sentence. The gist was there. run on sentences tend to be a little inscrutable.

Now you are discussing with me now so it is copacetic.

Anyway...

The point is somehow recent articles about Dempsey talk about his poor form, his poor play and his inability to play well so far.

In the US they just say he needs more help.

This is too friendly to his cause.

I mean Ives is clamoring about Gyau who is barely getting playing time in Bundesliga 2.

There is an enormous problem with elevating our players too far.

I am probably being far too harsh with my remonstrations about Clint.

I can agree with you on that. But I think at the core he has serious flaws in his game.