U.S. Soccer coaching curriculum (Great stuff!

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by truthandlife, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Right now I am familiar with two states. Neither are charged for field use for ODP training.

Travel? We are talking about Elite training. Elite local training. The areas top coaches working with an age groups top players. Training.

Perhaps we can get sponsors to buy a T-Shirt or two. I'm not sure of any other expenses. Players should bring a ball, fluids and shinguards. In my area there are at least 4 places that they can train for free, with goals.

Splitting hairs over Elite coaches vs. Decent coaches doesn't really matter. I only know of a handful of elite player development coaches west of the Mississippi. Lets try to turn the decent ones into Elite.

2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I want to be an elite coach someday. My biggest road block(s)? Availability and affordability of training courses. Give me something I can attend weekly or monthly, so if I'm willing and committed I can get better. There's a lack of mentors available for young coaches, so most of my peers just parrot how they were coached and we can all agree that that's not ideal. Give me resources so I know where to turn for the definitive answer. BigSoccer and other coaching message boards are great, but you really have to filter the good advice from the not so good.

3. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Like the government refusing to provide prevention services for addicts, struggling parents pre-child abuse, and other things, the USSF and Canada Soccer refuse to provide educational courses for coaches. They are left to either already possess the knowledge, travel the world to find their own courses, search the internet in hopes of it being good info they find, or trust that the club in which they coach offer "in-house" (which also doesn't happen nearly often enough).

We all talk about "how to develop the elite player" but it will never happen without developing elite coaches. They don't pay enough for coaches to attract truly talented coaches, (ie, can't quit your day job!).

4. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Don't you think that working with other coaches, like Pete suggests, doing skill training is a better learning opportunity than a license course? Part of the curse of the league/team system is the coaches working in isolation.

In my day job I can learn from watching others even those less experienced. I like to say that I stole all the good ideas I ever had. It is pretty much true.

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Absolutely. I didn't read that Part of PB's response. But I'd like to work with coaches that I can learn from (i.e better more experienced). A mentor-apprentice set up would be ideal.

Maybe courses" is not the right word. Any educational opportunity would be more like it. Even going to assist/observe some of our really good Assoc. DOC's run a training session would be great.

There was a stage in my coaching where I tried to reinvent the wheel everytime. What a waste.

6. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Nothing fantastic in these highlights. Whoever does the editing needs a lesson is "unique" talent. The kid is probably quite skilled, but the videos don't do justice showing a lot of skills any decent 11 year old can do. Also, what level of play is this he is facing?

7. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
    This brings up an interesting twist.

How many Elite coaches that you know of, mentor young coaches? Actually take the time to truly mentor them?

And, how many coaches do you know will listen to advice about coaching? Or even discuss, or argue it? In 95 & 96 I was very idealistic. I had hope.

8. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
    What is your soccer coaching Philosophy?
    What are your beliefs, ideas, and opinions about player development and team development?
    What you believe, is what you will end up being best at.

Those courses will probably screw you up more than they will help you.

Take your philosophy, your knowledge of what works, and start acquring every piece of material you can find on the topics, on those whose philosophies coincide exactly with yours (for instance Cruyff?? or?). Create a filing system for all these materials (alphabetic according to topics). Write a journal while you are coaching your teams. Seek out, at first, only instructional courses that are related to your philosophy and beliefs. ie Brazilian methods, Ajax/Dutch, Coerver, German... As I said earlier, I believe I learned far more from the 1st course I took from Gerard Van Der Lem, Frans Hoek, and Jan van Riekerrink than I did from all my US Soccer and NSCAA courses combined.

Remember, when you find good material, and you try to implement it in training, it will probably take you at least 3 times before you can take a session and really coach it. What I'm saying is it definately takes years of being out on the field, working like a grunt, to be an elite coach -- a master coach. The ability to see things, to communicate effectively, to correct not only players but yourself, it goes on and on.

Then go out and get your licenses. If you need them in order to work with kids, to get a job, whatever, then jump through the hoops. Never question or criticize them while you are there. Just smile and jump through the hoops.

Van Gaal was right. Being a master coach is all about seeing things. Educator coaches, teachers are the best ones. (I'm not saying you have to be a teacher, I'm saying that educating players would be their philosophy, ie Wenger, Cruyff, Michels, Mourinho, Sacchi.) You will eventually be able to predict what happens at the end of the flow of play. Learn the principles of dynamic play. The videos International Tactic Series are excellent for doing this (highly recommended). Watch each one 20 times.

As I said about Claudio. Run a group from U littles through U-13/14. Watch how they develop after they leave you. Get experience in coaching the older groups and then go back to U-12 again. Eventually, you will become as hard headed and arrogant as me. But, you will be a blessing to the kids who are lucky enough to work with you.

1 person likes this.
  9. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's a work in progress right now. I'm gathering info from diverse sources so it's really an amalgamation from many different places. I can't boil it down to one catchy sentence yet (i.e. "The game is the best teacher")

-I believe up to age 13 the focus needs to be on developing each individual player's skill set.
    -I teach in hybrid format of repetition/Coerver based drills, SSG instruction via Better Soccer More Fun/Dutch Method (Van Lingen), and a sprinkling of Brazilian concepts. I'd probably teach in an exclusively SSG format, except the best technical players are in a lot of repetition based academies. Where I come in is I try to balance that out by giving these skills context through introduction of Principles of Play at the right ages.
    -Right now I'm in a bit of transitionary stage in that I gear my sessions to the needs of my best players. It's a bit controversial, but after two year's with this group I feel bad that everything is remedial for my best players.

I think the courses helped hone and refine my coaching. I feel that I had good instructors in my state. I also didn't come in with zero knowledge. I had been into it a few years and was doing heavy research on my own. The courses, in a way, serve to reaffirm what I've found on my own and give me a few things that I didn't have before.

I'll stop here for now it's too broad a question for one sitting.

10. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
    What are your thoughts on how to teach/develop a player to play dynamically?

Making the correct decision, quickly, at the right time? Having the skill and technical speed to execute --Under pressure.

When to dribble and take the space, when to release with a one touch, two touch? When to shield and slow the pace, and when to hit a 60 yd lazer to the striker?

How do you teach a player to recognize the correct decision, at the correct time and develop the skill to be able to execute it by reaction, without even thinking. His play is second nature.

The game can become "the best teacher," once a child has the skill to actually receive a ball under control, pass with either foot, use the inside and outside of the foot, receive the ball with and shield between the defender, receive and turn away from the pressure on the back shoulder, take people on straight ahead 1V1, change direction and cut on a dime with agility and power, master the 40-60 yard low driven lazer, etc...

We want players to play the Barca (Ajax) way? This might be a start. We can then give these players to, and beg all our english masters who are making the big money to have them play the ball on the ground... nevermind.

That's the problem. You can't coach these kids for 8 years. They need to hear a different voice. Will it break you heart to see your work being told to stay in their position and lump it long? No joy in their face. Looks like its turned into a job.

How do you get 10 experienced coaches on the same page? 5? 3? Even if you do, conflicts arise and it rarely stays together for more than a year or two, if even that.

Becoming a master coach requires the same approach that becoming an Elite player requires. A burning desire. A willingness to put in countless hours, everyday to polish your skills. And, most of all persistence. Persistence to do this day after day for a period of 10 years. Coaching is very difficult -- much more difficult than teaching school. Being really good is a very difficult thing to accomplish.

11. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    I believe you were being rhetorical, BUT, the way to develop a player to be dynamic is teach them ball mastery. Which means the coach needs to have ball mastery.

Alex Ferguson can't teach 11 year olds, but that's why he hires young coaches and ex-players to do it.

12. trekker

trekker New Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Development needs to replace winning

Rob Ziegler NAILED it in this post on Reyna's idea that development should trump winning in the US youth system, not vice versa - Development needs to replace winning

13. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: Development needs to replace winning

Reyna needs messengers to spread his vision and ideas. He will not succeed in this alone. For the most part, lack of knowledge has not been the problem. The problem has been the mentality and approach of the coaches working with the youth players. That is what Reyna needs to change the most and he needs disciples to achieve that change. Then Reyna's messages need to be further communicated by coaches to all parents involved.

Unfortunately, negative and bad things are easier and more quickly spread than positive and good things. The other unfortunate aspect is money and the role it plays in youth soccer. That needs to change also, although I doubt that Reyna could do anything about that.

14. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx

Interesting that the article is on a website that is loaded with standings and rankings (based on winning).

1 person likes this.
  15. DwayneBarry

DwayneBarry Member

Aug 25, 2008

That, however, is the key. I have a difficult time believing you will ever get enough parents to buy into the "development rather than winning" approach, which means the coaches can't buy into it, or at least can only buy into it up to a point.

On the bright side with as many players as we have, as much money as we have, and coaches at least taking a somewhat developmental approach, in another decade or two maybe we will turn out more quality players than a country like Croatia :)

16. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006

Croatian's have Croatian coaches. We have english ones. Maybe we can shoot for having the the winningest U-11 teams instead.

"Those lads have a lot of mettle."

17. Mirzam

Mirzam Member

Jan 21, 2010
    @Dick's
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Here we go again. PB, this winning mentality has no more to do with English coaches as it does American IME. Every single team my son's U11 team has played plays kickball and is out to win, none have "English" coaches they have American or Hispanic ones, there are no Brits "running" anything in our state. The very worst offender, who even stoops to cheating, is a 60 something American guy, a real doozy that is the poster boy for everything wrong with youth soccer. My son's team does have a few English coaches (not his team) and they don't give a "toss" about winning, its ALL about development. Please, please get with the times. It might have been the case back in they day, but any British coach worth his/her salt is not into kickball or winning at all costs. I am not negating your experience, I am absolutely sure it is true, but times, they are a changing.... at least where we are anyway.

18. mostpreferignorance

mostpreferignorance New Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think your son's team/area is the exception, and not the general rule. The places I have coached that are run by English coaches all play to win - no development for the younger ages - just consolidate the teams as the kids get older and drop out of soccer because they realize that they are paying coaching/club/travel/uniform/field/league fees to whack the ball up the field to the kid that moved in from out of town that can lead a 1, 2, or 3 man attack that just pesters the opposing team's defense in hopes of taking the ball off of them and getting a shot on goal. Do all English coaches do this? I hope not, it just happens to be the style every English coach that I have ever been taught by at the national coaching schools, mentored me at the club/high school level, or seen their teams play. Obviously your son's coaches don’t do this, so I will have to make a special trip to witness this phenomenon...an English coach that does more than collect team fees. It would be really nice to have one of these coaches change my opinion. In fact, English coaches are the running joke between the coaches in my area.
    Once again – I am not saying that all English coaches lazy/non-educating coaches, I just haven’t met one that doesn’t fit that description yet.

19. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley

Sorry Most - but Mirzam is correct. My region is actually flooded with Brits and guess what....it's all about development over winning here too. Yep, they are going to pick "the most athletic" for the most part, sure, but they ain't playing "kick ball to win". Canadians who are there to help are coaching that way, at the lower levels.

Catch-up Most, and take a step back and see what is happening.

Heck, just look at Chelsea's youth academy. All about development. They even host tournaments where the games are 30 minutes, unlimited subs, with other youth academies from around England - and oh ya, no scores being kept. This is the norm in England nowadays. In fact, Bolton has coaches out here training my team right now, and they haven't spoken ONCE about "we've won this, we've won that." He's spoken only about work ethic and technical development.

20. Mirzam

Mirzam Member

Jan 21, 2010
    @Dick's
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I guess we are just lucky then. My son plays for an club who's sole purpose is to develop players for their professional team (homegrown talent), few have made it yet, but the program is young. You are welcome to come visit anytime. What you would see is technical training conducted at high speed and SSGs taught by both American and English trainers.

21. Mirzam

Mirzam Member

Jan 21, 2010
    @Dick's
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

These are the kind of tournaments my son's team (MLS) hosts two or three times a year for local clubs, although in the younger age groups, U11 - U14.

22. Garp1234

Garp1234 New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    John Cartwright would disagree that the English have changed. By some considered a contrarian he's made several good points over the years with the FA.
    http://keeptheball.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/479/

Maybe all the English coaches who want to develop and not solelywin have migrated to the US. Its a "religous freedom" movement of 2000...but i doubt it:)

23. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
    He's a pretty good writer.

24. mostpreferignorance

mostpreferignorance New Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sick of your rhetoric.

25. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I am too.

If we could just clean up the game a bit then I could go away and flirt with baristas at Starbucks or something.