U.S. - Russia: Lessons

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheNearPost, Nov 14, 2012.

1. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

But what about Bradley? he is younger and him and Jones look to be the same exact player. we can get 9 years out of Bradley at CB, but only the next 3 or so from Jones.

2. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few years ago there were a couple of posters who suggested Bradley to CB (in the midst of the nepotism farse I believe). I could imagine that happening later in his career, but not now when his motor is still in prime shape and his skills and vision are still improving. Plus, I don't know of any time that MB has played CB professionally.

Meanwhile, JJ has actually played CB a number of times in the Bundesliga over the years. That gives him a leg up in that, 1)he's actually done it before, and 2) Bundesliga coaches have trusted him with that role before. Plus, his age is another positive factor, as playing CB might slightly reduce the wear and tear on his 30 year old legs and extend his career a bit. In the past, it was fairly common to see experienced midfielders move back to central defense, with Beckenbauer and Matthaus as elite examples. Vermes is an example of a US forward who transitioned to CB when he got older. All that match experience and good footskills seem to translate well to playing in the back.

But I still would rather see Gonzo play next to Cameron for a few games, before testing Jones there.

3. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    They played sweeper, the heir of the modern #6; not comparable in any way to an old days' manmarker or modern day CB. Beckenbauer and Matthäus never were the primary defense between a striker and the goal; that was the man-manker, they were just the positionally-intelligent defensive allrounder to help everywhere, and have a share in possession; we call that "the #6" these days.
    I don't think Jones will develop into a good CB during aging. His defensive strength is his workload, his speed and his dynamic; I don't think it transtaltes to the CB job. He might fight and win dozens of duels with the forwards, but he probably won't ever see opponents in his back like other CBs, and would make lots of mistakes.
    I don't think Jones played CB in the BL more than 3 or 4 times in his life; only when his club had 5 injured CBs, and had to choose between Jones and a school boy. No club coach ever talked about Jones being an option as a CB.

4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Have any of his clubs been as bad off at CB as we have?

He'll, we have had two coaches try Mo Edu there now.

5. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    However, "his club coaches trusted him there (when 5 other guys were injured)" is different from "his club coaches trusted him at CB".
    I don't think any manager with an unlimited budget would like to play Jones as a CB. Bundesliga is different from EPL; we have rosters of 20-25 players instead of 35, and Schalke don't have a 6th CB on the stands in case 5 others are injured. However, Schalke's emergency solution should not be the standard formation for a WC quarterfinalist.

6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lascho, just step out of your position for a moment and provide us your thoughts as to what JJ might look like playing central defender. Strengths, weaknesses, etc.

7. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with the contrast between a CB and a sweeper, nor do I disagree with the concerns about Jones' potential as a CB. And as I've written, I'd prefer to see Gonzo tested at CB first.

But the US has some very serious looming issues at CB. A 33 year old with a grade II hamstring pull who is the team Captain and Klinsi's most-capped CB. Another 30-something who is struggling internationally in Goodson. Another veteran in Onyewu who still hasn't rebounded from his second knee injury to return as any professional club's regular CB. One CB of prime age and some potential in Cameron who is currently playing RB for his club. A bunch of MLS CB's who Klinsi hasn't trusted with any game time and barely any camp time so far. A Mexican league bench player in Orozco who Klinsi dropped as a CB 12 months ago. A defensive mid in Edu who might be able to fill in at CB, but hasn't played a 90 minute competitive club game since May.

I mean, the situation isn't good at all. So you start to go futher and further down the list of options. Jones starts to look like a possibility once you really work through the list.

8. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I'm not sure if I've really ever seen him at CB for a full game. I've seen too many Jones games to discuss every one of them in detail; however, he really never looked like a CB to me, and I don't remember him as a CB.
    Pro:
    He's fast, and he's a good tackler.
    Con:
    He almost never played in the last line of defense. His entire game is built on "I put pressure on the opponent, and try to win the ball; if I lose, then there are 4 other guys who care about the rest."
    The view of the back line is completely different from midfielders; "winning balls " is an entirely different job from "keeping the opponent from scoring".
    Jones isn't even a very good positional #6. He's very good at roaming around, putting up pressure everywhere, unnerving the opponent with his physical presence; with at least 4 or 5 guys behind him. I can't see him playing a disciplined stay-at-home CB; he doesn't know how to play the position, doesn't see the angles and the passing lanes, and doesn't know when he's allowed to press the ball; and he's really bad at headers.

HartwickFan, ChrisSSBB, Marko72 and 2 others repped this.
  9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Now with Neustädter playing the #6 role, JJ is more and more acting as a CM, not a DM. He's moving in the opposite direction, getting more and more involved in attack and not sticking to his position in front of the CBs. I don't see him (or Bradley) as possible CBs at this point.

wimsherfan repped this.
  10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this is the best you will get if you ask a BMG supporter to describe Schalke's #6. :D

11. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, here is Jermaine Jones Goal.com player evaluation:
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/people/germany/2400/jermaine-jones
    (hmmm, not good at diving, lol)

Roman Neustader (Schalke's 6 or defensive MF):
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/people/germany/22094/roman-neustädter
    Goal.com has Jones as a far superior player (again fwiw)

Michael Bradley:
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/people/united-states/6767/michael-bradley
    (it appears that American players are going to need some improvement in the diving category :) )

12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is the exception to the rule, notice that any opponent try their best at corners, why? because that is probably their best chance to beat them.

13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggested it and I was roundly denounced as a neophyte. Now, I feel Bradley has developed to be such a complete midfielder that he should not be removed from his current spot absent a true emergency. We have many CB prospects- at least one of them will almost certainly turn into a quality CB option. Hopefully Juergan can identify which one in time.