U-20 WNT: 2014 Campaign

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lunatica, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #101 Cliveworshipper, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

I think even fifa admits the figures are suspect and incomplete due largely to the methodologies that different countries use to self report - especially with non registered players. I think the best you can do is look at trends under the assumption that the country in question uses the same methodology over time.

But I struggle with the idea that u6 players are registered. That's one of the areas I have a little experience with, and I've never heard of such a thing in the leagues I'm familiar with. That would include a lot of kids in CYO around here.

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

One of the reasons you don't see many adult leagues might be the lack of available fields. There is intense competition even among the youth leagues for a pretty limited resource to the point that the more well financed leagues around here sometimes use unfair practices to secure the best times and fields.

2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Horan is named in the PSG squad against Lyon. The game is on Saturday evening, so I guess she has flown back to France today ?

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Here's a question that just occurred to me. Is Horan getting paid for this?

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    That's an interesting question, since most of the players are college players they can't be paid. Related to this is I've been told by someone that know more about NCAA rules than me that merely playing on the same team as a professional will eliminate a players NCAA amateur status. So how can these college players play on a team with a professional and how can a college player be called up to the full USWNT and still retain their amateur status? Or is there some exemption for national team play?

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I believe that the only exception to that rule is playing for ur country.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

The Denver post reported
    Once she gets to the senior program, fifa requires she be released for qualifiers and, of course for FIFA competition.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    But back to my original question...any thoughts?

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Yeah, if that weren't true, every college player in the Olympics or WWC would have been inelligible. There are special exemptions for national teams, Olympics, World University games, alumnae games, etc. you can't accept pay, however.

The rule otherwise is you can't play on a team that calls itself professional or that pays a professional to play, beyond expenses. The rule does NOT say they can't play together as long as the pro doesn't get paid.

Recall that two years ago the Seattle Sounders Women W league team had both pros and college players who played there after the WPS folded. The pros didn't get paid to play during their stint there, however. They just drew Nat team residency salaries, which they would have gotten anyway. The Nats gave them a choice to play or go into residency camp, so they played.
    http://www.sounderswomen.com/team/1/601140.html
    Note Julia Roberts is there. She played the following fall for Virginia.

The rule is a little sketchy. Some college coaches didn't allow their players to play on those mixed teams.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    No, no...my original question was is USSoccer paying Horan to play in the U20 Tournament. Is this type of situation even covered in the CBA?

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I have never heard of ussoccer paying anybody at the Youth level beyond expenses.

All I see is she is being paid by PSG and they let her play some games for the youth Nats. And I think the CBA would only be for the Senior team.
    I don't even think Horan has a residency contract anyway. She signed a two year deal less than two years ago and fifa says you can only have one primary contract at a time. So any CBA wouldn't apply. It is for players contracted by ussoccer. When she plays for the Seniors she would be under temporary contracts for extra players allowed in the CBA. ( at least the old CBA)

We don't really know. They have never published the new CBA.

I'm not even sure PSG had to let her play because this tournament isn't listed as a window in the FIFA calendar. The finals in August are, so PSG has no choice but to release her then. Her contract might be up then anyway, I haven't kept track.
    http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/calendar/events.html

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    She doesnt have a residency contract. The way the CBA was set up the players r paid thru a bonus system so I guess if there was no roster bonus for youth WC qualifiers then she didnt get paid.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Where did you see info on the new CBA?

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    if so, i'm sure some smooth operator like seattle's harvey probably has her as a discovery player like fckc has hagen.

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I'm sure somebody does. Probably several teams.It doesn't cost anything.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    old CBA ...there is no new CBA...there's just a memorandum in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnell's porch

16. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Where did you see it reported as a two year deal? I can't find any mention of length. But she did sign in Jul 2012, so in Aug 2014 you'd expect the 2 years to be up.

17. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been pleasantly surprised to see this at the local level here in South Texas. My daughter is in her first year of State ODP play and they have worked quite a bit on the 4-3-3 and having it morph into the 4-4-2 when needed. Very interesting.

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

It was in the full Colorado rush press release. Also that she would report on July 31 for preseason. I link to it now and get a 404. It must still be somewhere.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Silly me. I kept looking in the Brittanica.

All I remember is that they had a "substantial understanding".

Then a black hole.

20. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Hmm... strange. I guess I'll take your word for it. Will be interesting to see if she takes a pay cut to play in the NWSL just on the off chance that that will help her make the 2015 WWC squad.

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I remember it as two years as well...it was a big topic here at the time...their was a Lindsey Horan thread I believe.

22. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yeah, I looked at the first page of the thread just to try to verify and didn't see any mention of length. All the attention of everything (forum posts, articles, tweets) was on the six figure salary and skipping college.

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    holden repped this.
  24. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
  25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Here ya go:

Not the one I was looking for, but it'll do.