U-20 WNT: 2014 Campaign

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lunatica, Jan 6, 2014.

1. giatano

giatano Member

Aug 26, 2009
    old brown jug tavern newcastle
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The US coaches in a tactical first, Have one upped the Brazilians, by employing a 6-0-4 formation
    for this crucial game against Jamaica. The brilliance of this maneuver has the Jamaican coaches
    stunned, and I expect a forfeiture to occur at any moment.

PacmanJr_00 repped this.
  2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    71' 0-2 USA down box right, cross to 6-top right post intercepted by a defender's chest. She spins toward own goal, tries to clear it out -- shanks it off her own face, goalward. Chambers lunges across and palms it wide.

72' 0-2 USA subs in (3 of 3) #11 McKenzie Meehan for #13 Savannah Jordan.

72' 0-2 USA right corner, scrambled clear.
    73' 0-2 Horan backshields at 20m mid-right, spins past #15 Perkins, who locks up her arm in a chickenwing and hauls her off-balance. Foul, yellow card on Perkins.

75' 0-2 USA fk, fizzle.
    75' 0-2 Jamaica subs in (3 of 3) #11 Khadija Shaw (DF) for #6 Oshay Nelson Lawes (FW).

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the hell did Horan not get subbed? She's taking a beating out there.

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I'm guessing they plan to not play her in the next game.

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    82' 0-3 #15 Purce sprints down box left, turns corner on the RB at endline mid-left. Right outstep flick back to #11 Meehan lurking at 7m left post(?), one-touch volley low across mouth into back right corner.

84' 0-3 Horan gathers ball at arc top left, gets shoulder-charged hard enough to drop her to knees. She's looking for calls? (or looking for a pro ref)

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    87' 0-3 USA pings short passes, forward and back. Like an elaborate keep-away drill. Not even looking to probe to the box top.

88' 0-3 Finally USA pass diagonally to Horan at box top right. She goes 1-v-1 down to 6-top right, can't shake the 1, backpass. USA miss the 2nd entry pass, Jamaica clear.

89' 0-3 USA flub a backpass, Jamaica sprint to box top. USA win that race going back to own box top.
    90' 0-3 USA up right touch into the corner, Jamaica block cross over.
    90' 0-3 USA right corner, headed across mouth, wide right. +2'.

Namdynamo repped this.
  7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+2' (of +2') 0-3 #14 Hill shoots from 10m mid-right, to low right post. Chambers mis-plays it off ground, her chest, jaw, and out to 5m 1/3 right. #11 Meehan lunges ahead of 1, pokes/soles ball in past Chambers still down. No goal -- offside.

FT 0-3.

8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horan better be firmly implanted on the bench against Guatemala.

9. giatano

giatano Member

Aug 26, 2009
    old brown jug tavern newcastle
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Gilmoy once again you have done a brilliant job of detailing the intricacies of the US attack, and the
    relentless pressure they brought to bear on this opponent. If Lindsay Horan can go from playing for
    PSG to this, she has more maturity and sense of humor than belies her years.

10. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    After two games, frankly I can say that this team (outside of Horan) just isn't that good, probably a down cycle.

11. worthyofbeing1

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't understand why Horan is playing on U20 team, she's already above these players. Seems like a waste of time for her.

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I remember when Ramona Bachmann was playing for the Swiss U-20 team in 2010, when she was already by far their best player in the history of women's football in their country.

13. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I was impressed with Roccaro and Sullivan. That was about it (aside from Horan I mean)

Because she's the best U-20 striker we've got and she's not gonna be starting over Wambach, Morgan, and Leroux? At least it's not as bad as Santiago who still plays for Mexico's U-20 team even though she's been starting with the full team since 2010...

14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because she's eligible for them, and they want the best available players.

Either quit trolling or GTFO.

15. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Marta played for the Brazil U-19s in 2004. No coach with any shred of common sense is going to pass up the chance to play a Marta or a Bachmann or a Horan if they're still age-eligible.

16. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    No, not a down cycle to be this poor. A staff of French and Walsh, overseen by Heinrichs, leads to no tactical acumen and poor player selection. This roster isn't the best roster and will have a tough time in Canada.

PacmanJr_00 and Namdynamo repped this.
  17. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    This team is going to have a really tough time in Canada for sure. Now I can see why they (without Horan) were beaten badly by a Japanese team that couldn't advance out of Asia.

18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, 9 goals for and two clean sheets after two games. It proves this team is terrible.

19. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's qualifiers. Geez, Thaisa and Wiggers lead an U20 group in qualifiers to 38-0 goals vs opponents. The pros will be waiting for Horan in Canada. They put a lot of brand names (common theme with the senior team) on the squad vs the best talent on the board.

20. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  21. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013

That's a bummer. I really liked how she played in the first game before she got injured.

22. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    This US u-20 team is slow and not very watchable. They cough up the ball way too easily. LOL.

23. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #73 luvdagame, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    summer greene alone did it multiple times at the start of the game before she settled down. doniak looks a better player. they already miss her. i know i do. and she looked like she was crying her eyes out after she broke her hand, because she knew that she was out of the tournament - after all that hard work...dreams shattered.

anyway, choppy pitch and a quick athletic jamaica is my excuse for them giving up the ball so much. they got it back quickly most often tho.

24. karanicole

karanicole Member

Jun 28, 2005
    I thought Purce did well. Not sure why she's not starting. Her flank runs are much better than others. Also, any thoughts on why Liedle hasn't played. Is she worst than Basinger?

25. BruBru

BruBru Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Team could be very good defensively. Keeper and a couple of defenders very strong. I like a couple of the forwards and their composure. Midfield is rough, but some nice moments also. Could be a solid unit by this summer. Maybe the type of squad which will grind things out with some tight victories? Partly depends upon the make up of the individuals and their commitment to team, and the staff's ability to foster it.