U-20 WNT: 2014 Campaign

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lunatica, Jan 6, 2014.

1. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    New Year and new challenges ahead for US U-20 WNT
    They begin with 2014 CONCACAF Women’s U-20 Championship.
    The USA opens Group A play on Thurs., Jan. 9, against Costa Rica, faces Jamaica on Sat., Jan. 11, and finishes the group against Guatemala on Mon., Jan. 13.
    The winner of Group A will meet the Group B runner-up, and vice versa, in the semifinal matches on Fri., Jan. 17, and the Championship and Third-Place Matches will take place on Jan. 19.
    Roster by Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Jane Campbell (Stanford; Kennesaw, Ga.), Katelyn Rowland (UCLA; Vacaville, Calif.)
    DEFENDERS (6): Stephanie Amack (Stanford; Pleasanton, Calif.), Brittany Basinger (Penn State; Purcellville, Va.), Maddie Bauer (Stanford; Newport Beach, Calif.), Lauren Kaskie (UCLA; Las Vegas, Nev.), Laura Liedle (Stanford; San Diego, Calif.), Katie Naughton (Notre Dame; Elk Grove Village, Ill.)
    MIDFIELDERS (6): Morgan Andrews (Notre Dame; Milford, N.H.), Rachel Hill (UConn; Rollinsford, N.H.), Rose Lavelle (Wisconsin; Cincinnati, Ohio), Cari Roccaro (Notre Dame; East Islip, N.Y.), Andi Sullivan (Bethesda SC; Lorton, Va.), Mallory Weber (Penn State; Novi, Mich.)
    FORWARDS (6): Makenzy Doniak (Virginia; Chino Hills, Calif.), Summer Green (North Carolina; Milford, Mich.), Lindsey Horan (Pairs Saint-Germain; Golden, Colo.), Savannah Jordan (Florida; Fayetteville, Ga.), McKenzie Meehan (Boston College; Scituate, R.I.), Margaret Purce (Harvard; Silver Spring, Md.)

2. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    How is Michelle French a YNT coach? How is BJ Snow still a YNT coach after not qualifying the U17s? When is the Full NT coach going to be involved in YNT coaching selections and integrating programs like Klinsmann is doing with the Men? Why do Jill Ellis and April Heinrichs continue to be allowed to get jobs and make decisions? The YNT program is a joke right now.

Oh wait, answers just in: Michelle French is part of the female whatever, BJ Snow is Jill Ellis' lifetime assistant in everything and Sunil Gulati/USSF don't give a crap.

3. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Whatever is the female whatever?

4. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    If you dislike females so much why do you even follow women's soccer?

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, French among many other accolades was a DI All American, a USWNT Olympian, a successful club coach an ODP coach, and the very successful coach of the Seattle Sounders women. She played for one of the greatest women's soccer coaches ever, in a system that matches what the USFS professes to want the USWNT to move to. She also is one of the most respected people, among players in the women's soccer world. Exactly what else do you have in mind?

lunatica repped this.
  6. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Overall slow team on fast surfaces is not a good thing. But they do have a lot of brand names.

7. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Mamalia, by "whatever" I couldn't think of an appropriate term for the act of forcing female coaches into coaching positions they shouldn't be in. Lunatica, I don't dislike females at all and there are definitely very good female coaches. CP, sounds like a great player, a great club coach and a great person….never said she wasn't any of them and Clive Charles is a coaching legend for sure. But she's not him and nothing in that bio, to me, supports she should be coaching a YNT yet….and I feel the same way about the other gender's coach (BJ Snow) I mentioned.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  8. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. What are your criteria, and who do you think fits them that wants the job for however much they're willing to pay?

9. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    That's a whole another issue. Why we have two, full-time non-head coaching persons I don't understand.

No need for U23s. Make U15, U17 and U20 coaches full time, with higher salaries, and make them part of the Full staff and lead the newly formed Full B team (which would be predominantly what U23s are now). The full time U15, U17 and U20 coaches would fill their staffs with qualified youth coaches (there are plenty as good as college coaches) and get college coaches out of it. If college coaches want these positions, then give up the college job and coach full time with USSF if you've got the chance.

It would align the programs in terms of tactics, structure, etc and develop coaches in the meantime. Again, the biggest issue is Sunil Gulati/USSF don't care about the female game or have the vision to improve and develop it……that's if they even realize it's struggling at the youth levels.

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Savannah Jordan (far left in middle row), has very large shoulder mass.
    She could maybe bulk into a Ronda Rousey one day.

[​IMG]

11. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of what you say I agree with, but as a first point I don't think it's right to criticize French's credentials and then respond to my question by saying that the real problem is with the whole women's YNT approach and structure and by declining to say who would be better given the current approach and structure. If your real issue is with the overall approach and structure, it would be more helpful just to say so and why.

I do absolutely agree with you that the part-timeness of the situation is an issue, and believe me it doesn't make me happy with April and Jillian more or less running the show. In particular, I agree that college coaches should not be U coaches. It taints both the UNT side and the college side of things.

12. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Apologies. While typing what I believe is a bigger issue, I forgot to go back and mention again that I was criticizing French's credentials to be a YNT coach right now and do disagree with the appointment.

13. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I know that, but what you haven't done -- I understand, due to being distracted by the bigger issue -- is indicate what you think the credentials should be to be a YNT coach right now (in the current system) and who else there is who you think would have taken the job (with its current limitations) that would have met your credentials. The job was open with whatever limitations went with it, maybe there weren't applicants who met your credentials because they didn't like the job description, pay, etc.?

14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Which is why I've been pushing for them to include Darian Jenkins.
    She's faster than anyone selected to this team, and probably by far.
    She is a young Sydney Leroux, without the heading ability.
    Leroux also had some struggles with her first touch when she was younger.
    But it was developed as time went by. They need to do the same for Jenkins.

15. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Thanks for explaining your comment. You have some strong and not superficial thoughts on this issue which could not be discerned from the kind of 'throw away' remarks in your original post. Sounded kind of misogynistic, but clearly that is not where you are coming from with this... perils of electronic "communication".

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Maybe they can sneak Sydney Leroux on the team, and have her wear a red wig.
    Cynthia LeFlew. U-20 player from Area 51 - Nevada. That way FIFA can't do their research on her.

Give her a wig like this, and no one will know.

[​IMG]

17. karanicole

karanicole Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Leroux is very determined and feisty. She plays defense. As much as I want Jenkins to play, she doesn't possess that quality. She runs when she wants to run.

18. karanicole

karanicole Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Any predictions for starting lineup on Thursday?

19. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  20. pcsocker

pcsocker New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Club:
    Piacenza Calcio
    That's an awfully "anglo" looking team...so much diversity....not

karanicole repped this.
  21. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    #21 lunatica, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    TV SCHEDULE:
    Group Stage Match 1: U.S. U-20 WNT vs. Costa Rica

Thursday, Jan. 9, at 7:30 p.m. ET, Live on FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO
    Talent: Jenn Hildreth and Kyndra de St. Aubin

Group Stage Match 2: U.S. U-20 WNT vs. Jamaica
    Saturday, Jan. 11, at 7:30 p.m. ET, Live on FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO
    Talent: Jenn Hildreth and Leslie Osborne

Group Stage Match 3: U.S. U-20 WNT vs. Guatemala
    Monday, Jan. 13, at 7:30 p.m. ET, Live on FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO
    Talent: Mark Rogondino and Leslie Osborne

Semi Final 1: Group B Winner vs. Group A Runner Up
    Friday, Jan. 17, at 4 p.m. ET, Live on FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO
    Talent: JP Dellacamera and Danielle Slaton

Semi Final 2: Group A Winner vs. Group B Runner Up
    Friday, Jan. 17, at 7 p.m. ET, Live on FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO
    Talent: JP Dellacamera and Angela Hucles

3rd Place Match: TBD
    Sunday, Jan. 19, at 4 p.m. ET, Live on FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO
    Talent: JP Dellacamera and Shannon MacMillan

Final: TBD
    Sunday, Jan. 19, at 7 p.m. ET, Live FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2GO
    Talent: JP Dellacamera and Cat Whitehill

Promo Code for http://foxsoccer2go.com to watch U.S. games at CONCACAF U-20 Women's Championship: “U20WNT” Code good between Jan. 8-20.

- See more at: http://www.ussoccer.com/news/u-20-w...champs-tv-sched-rel.aspx#sthash.dlfVjOoP.dpuf

Namdynamo repped this.
  22. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay for more Osborne. I thought she did a good job with the U-17 games.

23. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    They do have a lot of diversity among their hairstyles and hair color. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

24. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :ROFLMAO:

Blame it on Pia. They're keeping it real Nordic.

Not my main problem with the squad but they won't look good on fast surfaces in Canada. But they do have alot of brand name players who arent necessarily the best selections. :whistling:

25. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013