U-17 Bradenton 2.0 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Jul 3, 2012.

1. UofIneedssoccer

Nov 3, 2009
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    I am eating words on the Crew great job. So the under 17 score 3 goals and give up 3 goals. I have to agree not a good result.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Looking at the line up it looks like Coach Ritchie played with the 2nd unit. Not sure if that makes that big of a difference but it definitely looks like the 2nd unit.

3. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SydneyFan11

SydneyFan11 Member

Apr 13, 2012
  5. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    http://insider.espn.go.com/sports/s...hallenges-opportunities-richie-williams-u-20s

Interesting article in ESPN Insider (You must be a member to view it) by Brent Latham. I found these quotes to be particularly interesting:

Brent spends too much time talking about formations. I feel that he is dancing around the point that teaching kids how to play the game is not a coach like Richie Williams' focus. That guy is all about getting results. Always has been, always will be. At the professional level this is a great strength. At the under 17 national level, there needs to be a more balanced approach. The primary focus has to be the results that players achieve when they are 25 years old and you use current games as a motivational tool toward that end, but not as an end unto themselves. I have a hard time believing that, regardless of the results Richie achieves with this team, that maintaining that kind of balance will ever be his strength.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys please please please don't post copied text from paywall sites.

7. upper_v

upper_v Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pretty underwhelmed with the analysis in this article, and I question what insight or reporting Brent did when writing it. Most of us don't get to see this team play much, and most of our analysis comes from reading US Soccer's match reports, rare streams, and anecdotes (often not credited) from contributors here. That's fine for BigSoccer, but I don't get the impression that Brent did much more than that to research this article.

I especially found the first paragraph you quoted interesting. Based on what evidence does Brent believe that the U17s have lost their "free-flowing play"? He doesn't specify, but the rest of the paragraph seems to be pointing to results, not to the actual play on the field of which he was critical.

An interview with Williams or with Reyna probably would have yielded much more insight into how the cycle is going and where Williams sees this team.

I'm looking forward to seeing them play later this month in Florida. Does anyone have any insight into FOX Soccer's plans to televise the matches? I know they've televised these matches for the past three years (at least)...

soccersubjectively and minya repped this.
  8. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    What is that lost "free-flowing play" shit that he is talking about? It couldn't be worse then Cabrerra's teams. And results are much better as well.

9. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Canada u17 announces friendly against USA u17

Canada's men's U-17 team will gather for a 10-day camp next week in USA and Panama, with three international friendly matches to be played over the course of the national youth project. Coach Sean Fleming has selected 22 players for the camp which runs 15-26 November.

The camp will start in southern USA with a Men's U-17 International Friendly match on 18 November against host USA. The Canadian team then travels to Panama on 21 November before playing Panama on 23 and 25 November.

Coach Fleming's roster features goalkeepers Marco Carducci and Daniel Milton, defenders Alex Comsia, Mathieu Laurent, Elias Roubos, Kevon Black, Ian Fernandes, Aron Mkungilwa and Samuel Vinson, and midfielders/forwards Hanson Boakai, Marco Bustos, Mikaël Cantave, Marco-Leonel Dominguez, Kianz Gonzales-Froese, Jordan Hamilton, Jordan Haynes, El Mehdi Ibn Brahim, Malik Johnson, Kalifala Konneh, Raheem Parkes, Derick Sequeira and Justin White.

Of note in the Canadian camp, five players are making their national youth team debut: Johnson, Konneh, Laurent, Parkes and White. Of the 22 players called into camp, only 20 will head to Panama on 21 November.

This marks coach Sean Fleming's third project of the 2012 season. The team is preparing for next year's CONCACAF Men's Under-17 Championship which runs 06-19 April 2013. Four CONCACAF teams will qualify for the FIFA U-17 World Cup UAE 2013 which runs 17 October to 08 November.

CANADA
    GK- Marco Carducci | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency
    GK- Daniel Milton | CAN / Ajax Thunder
    CB- Alex Comsia | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency
    CB- Mathieu Laurent | CAN / Mississauga
    CB- Elias Roubos | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
    FB- Kevon Black | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
    FB- Ian Fernandes | CAN / West Rouge SC
    FB- Aron Mkungilwa | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
    FB- Samuel Vinson |
    M- Hanson Boakai | CAN / FC Edmonton Reserve
    M- Marco Bustos | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency
    M- Mikaël Cantave | FRA / FC Nantes
    M- Marco-Leonel Dominguez | CAN / Braves d'Ahuntsic U-16
    M- Kianz Gonzales-Froese | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency
    M- Jordan Haynes | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency
    M- Derick Sequeira | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
    M- Raheem Taylor-Parkes | USA / VSI Flames
    M- Justin White |
    F- Jordan Hamilton | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
    F- El Mehdi Ibn Brahim | CAN / Braves d'Ahuntsic
    F- Malik Johnson | CAN / Brampton East SC
    F- Kalifala Konneh | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps Residency

Hararea repped this.
  10. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just saw that John Ellinger has retired. As Daniel says......................great guy.

http://www.bigdsoccer.com/2012/11/15/3650998/fc-dallas-assistant-john-ellinger-retires

In 1997, Ellinger was hired as U.S. Soccer's Under-17 head coach and the organization's Director of Youth Development, which included spearheading the launch of the U.S. Soccer U-17 Residency Program in Bradenton, Florida. The program debuted on January 17, 1999, with U.S. Soccer collecting the top 20 of the country's elite youth players and placing them in year-round training at the IMG Academy.

soccersubjectively and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    USA beats Canada 2-1

13. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Game report?

14. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    We were down a goal in the first half and came back in the second half after some new energy was infused by the subs the coaches made!

15. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Good prep for both teams in advance of next years tounament.

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Articles/2012/11/First-2012-AOTY-WInners-Announced.aspx

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/u17-mnt-forward-elects-to-stay-in-state_aid28139

The third ranked player in the class of 2014, Ahinga Selemani, verbally committed to Michigan State in November, deciding to join the rising power in the Big 10. It won’t take him too far from home, as the Michigan native is a standout for Crew Soccer Academy Wolves.

Selemani is a main fixture for Richie Williams’ U17 men’s national team, and he’s scored 8 goals so far this year in various exhibition and friendly matches. The speedster is eligible to represent both the United States and Canada at the international level.

18. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish we knew were Rubin was gonna play.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Some recent articles from the US soccer website about our U17s.

Getting to know Junior Flores:

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-17-M...Know-US-U17-MNT-Midfielder-Junior-Flores.aspx

ussoccer.com: What is your full name?
    JF: “My full name is Herber Omar Mejia Flores. My teammates just call me Junior and my coach calls me Jun, short for Junior. My family has been calling me that since I was little. I don’t know why. I’m not a junior, it’s just a nickname.”

U17 positional breakdown: Midfielders

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-17-MNT/2012/11/US-Under17-MNT-Positional-Breakdown-Midfielders.aspx

On the midfielders as a group: “With guys like Junior Flores and Christopher Lema, we have very good players in this group who have some experience and continue to develop every semester. They continue to get better, and I’m sure they’re very excited for the Friendlies this week to show that they can develop even more and become even better players.”

On non-Residency midfielders Emerson Hyndman and Cameron Lindley: “We brought in Cameron Lindley who was in Residency last semester, turned it down this semester but might come back in the future. Emerson is in a different situation where he’s at Fulham on a full-time basis. So it’s just an opportunity to bring guys in that we see that have a future with us that are good young players and could be part of our team for qualification for hopefully the World Cup.”

Check out that link for an analysis of each midfielder.

soccersubjectively and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Getting to know Shaquell Moore:

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-17-MNT/2012/12/Getting-to-Know-Shaquell-Moore.aspx

ussoccer.com: Does anyone else in your family play professional or collegiate sports?
    SM: “My dad played semi-pro and then he played for the Trinidad & Tobago National Team in the early 80s. Both my parents are from Trinidad then moved to Miami and then to Georgia just a few years ago.”

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Getting to know Conor Donovan:

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-17-MNT/2012/11/Getting-to-Know-US-U17-MNT-Defender-Conor-Donovan.aspx

U.S. U-17 MNT center back Conor Donovan is the old man of the U.S. U-17 Residency Program. The North Carolina native was born in early January 1996, making him the oldest player in the Residency cycle. Donovan made the trek south to join the U-17 MNT for the 2011 Fall Semester, standing tall in the center of the defense during the 2011 Nike International Friendlies in which the U-17 MNT won the four-team tournament.

22. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw on USSoccer that the U17's beat Maccabi Haifa 3-2. Does anyone have any details on match events or players involved?

23. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Someone scored a hat-trick.

24. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For others looking, the USSoccer report is here:
    http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-17-MNT/2012/12/U17-MNT-Defeats-Maccabi-Haifa.aspx

Ahinga Selemani with the hat trick. Assists from Moore, Jamieson, and ???.

(and just to be clear, this was against a Maccabi youth team)