U-17 Bradenton 2.0 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he is as good or better than Richard Sanchez.

2. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he a US citizen?

3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O

4. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of kids have been invited to US youth camps and played on U17 teams in camps without being citizens.

5. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He recently played with the U15s at the Copa Mexico. Is the reason why you are asking about his citizenship because he is Hispanic??

6. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a weird obsession with comparing our players with those who play for Mexico. Why not hope he's as good as Sean Johnson, Bill Hamid, or Tim Howard. Sure, Sanchez is young, but no one can even tell even he'll be a successful professional. Plenty of players, especially goalkeepers, have succeeded at the youth level and never made it professionally.

Our youth national teams have called in a few players who aren't US citizens, though it'd be hard to believe Romero, who's been called into camps at three different youth levels, isn't.

7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WTF The reason why I mentioned Sanchez was because both are young and Hispanic. I hope the kid is as good as Iker Casillas someday.

8. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were also trying to draw comparisons between Villareal and Guardado, I agree with him It is kind of odd

9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm Just so all of you know, I knew about Guardado before I even knew that we had a soccer team. I think Jose Villarreal is good at scoring long-range shots much like Guardado but I also think that he is somewhat like Dempsey.

10. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Regeneration day for the team yesterday with finishing practice. It will be interesting to see what new players will get the call to Bradenton.

11. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    I don't know how you can include finishing practice on a regeneration day. Finishing practice is one of the most stressful, mentally demanding things that a team does during practice. Every single finishing attempt should be recorded. Players on offense should have it recorded whether they scored, put an attempt on net, missed or did not get a shot off. Defensive players should have the same recorded as should goal keepers. Players should know that coaches are recording their results and that they will probably end up talking about them later one on one. Those conversations should not just include their own results but comparisons to their teammates. This can lead to discussions about what they are doing well, what they need to improve on and why are they doing better/worse than others in different types of situations so that they can re-enforce good habits and change poor ones by looking at objective facts about their performance. A really good coach will go over the data with different colored highlighters so that the players can see the patterns of their success/areas of growth more easily and compare them instantly to others by just looking at the color patterns on the page.

The hardest part about teaching finishing is not teaching the technique. The hardest part about teaching finishing is teaching consistent ruthlessness in front of the goal (both offensively and defensively). You don't choose regeneration day to teach something like that - at least not in my opinion. Finishing is really demanding.

If your practice correctly, everything that you do challenges the players mentally and emotionally. If you are regenerating, do it well. Don't mix purposes or you end up doing neither well.

I would rather see players playing kickball than working on finishing if they are really regenerating. If they have enough mental/emotional/physical energy to work on finishing properly, they don't need regeneration.

12. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I asked because the comparison was to Sanchez,who is a dual citizen. Didn't know if that comparison had to do with more than just talent, or not.

13. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo

Maybe because they only have 7 days with this group coach is trying to maximize his time with the boys?

14. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    How does that maximize time? If they can work on finishing, that means they don't need the regeneration and they could get more things done in the precious time that they have. Regardless, I have steered the thread away from the topic and it needs to be about the players so I am not going to post about this again. The lack of appropriate focus during training is just a pet peeve of mine. So now I will show a proper sense of focus during posting by dropping the topic and getting back to talking about the actual players in the camp. ;)

15. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Peter, I was content to discuss the camp goings-on in this thread, but the discussion has moved here: https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/under-17-mnt-july-training-camp-at-hdc-7-22-7-29.1948668/

16. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    here is a great staple from Hugo Perez in regards to coaching U-14's,U-15's

"Perez’s use of ‘gamble’ is code for the way that he wants this group to play – without any reliance on a long pass. In essence, he has banned his center backs and goalkeepers from booting the ball long to relieve pressure".

This should be policy for U-17's. U-17 World Cup does not mean much, but this age group can mean alot 5 years down the road if they develop to the way the game will be played down the road not how to best maximize U-17 results at a World Cup.

soccersubjectively and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    I find this quote confusing. Long passes and booting the ball are very different things.

The ability to hit a clean cross-field pass is very important.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  20. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    In addition, limiting players from making choices does not help their problem solving ability. It actually stunts it.

It is better to have discussions about the consequences of a player's choices than to ban them from making them.

21. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

I disagree. OK i just wrote a 15 paragraph response that got erased by accident and I am not going to write it again but i will tell you this in short, the players need to be trained in the way that will make them the most successful pros not the most successful U-17 player. Only way you are going to do this is enforcing the correct way and eliminating the constant mistake that player does under his own free will. If you don't, the elite 16-year old will be a limited defender if he ever advances to the pro level. remember these kids are well trained in making long passes and booming it up field under their problem solving ways since they were 7-years old but they are not consistant with passing it out the back and feeling confident when doing it. The coach needs to make his students understand that at this stage of their development that while booming it out of the back is the easier option but it is the incorrect option and the harder option of playing out of the back through triangles, etc. under heavy pressure is the correct option because this is whats going to help you become a better pro. He needs to make his student in a state of mind where they are ok with giving up a goal if it meant learning how to play out of the back because down the road the same student will be more versed and more accurate in playing out of the back and he will have less mistakes because of the repitition he will be getting now. He will not give a up an easy goal anymore when hes older because he has learned how to play out of the back on an elite level. Preparing your 16-year old prospect for the pro level is more important than making the U-17 WC team.

Here is what you said in an earlier post

"A really good coach will go over the data with different colored highlighters so that the players can see the patterns of their success/areas of growth more easily and compare them instantly to others by just looking at the color patterns on the page".

This is what is incorrect. Why are we comparing a 16-year old prospect to another 16-year old prospect within our very own team. this creates an environment that breeds "U-17 WC team is the most important objective" Certain players can be physically more gifted now and will eventually faze out of soccer. we should be comparing our players to what the elite players did to eventually achieve success. What the elite defenders around the world did was they were constantly playing out of the back till they mastered it so they had the power to make their decisions through either short ball or long ball passing out of the back when they reached that elite level. You want to create a competitive atmosphere where every player understands the true winner is the one who becomes the best pro and you do that by enforcing the right way to play now before its too late because the elite world soccer coaches expects you to know how to play the right way the moment you enter the pro ranks, not learn it when your 25/26/27 if you ever do.

22. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    This is nothing personal, but you don't know anything about coaching and moving players forward. I will try to explain briefly, but I am not going to spend too much time because I don't think that you are listening very carefully.

The reason for comparing players to each other when it comes to finishing is because teenagers very often aren't aware of both their actual performance and how hard they are trying. There are times when their performance will be disgraceful, but they will look at you and swear that they are trying as hard as they can. They need to be shown objective evidence that shows they are not. Likewise, they very often don't realize why one guy is getting on the field more than them and they are starting the game on the bench. The objective data helps them to point their thinking back to themselves and what they need to do to get better. When it comes to finishing, comparing players to each other, as long as it is done in a completely objective way, is absolutely necessary for the purpose of getting them back to THINKING ABOUT THEMSELVES and their own efforts more carefully.

When it comes to choice during playing, you don't limit their choice because limiting choice is what is going to make them a less effective player down the road when it counts. Players need to learn how to choose the best option from the choices available. If you want to limit long passes than structure the game the are playing so that long passes don't lead to success. What a really skillful coach on any level will never do is tell a player while they are playing that you can make this choice, but not make that one. A true teacher of the game is in the business of helping players learn how to make BETTER CHOICES, not better followers of somebody else's directions. If Hugo Perez isn't a skillful enough coach to do that yet and has to resort to telling players to do this but not do that because he personally forbid it, hopefully it will come to him over time because teaching players how to think and solve problems for themselves is what good coaches do. A coach just has to have the self discipline to teach players properly and that is hard to develop. Many coaches, at all levels of the game, will fall back on the crutch of just telling players to do what they say and many fans, will blindly follow them because they were never taught how to think things through for themselves either.

I have watched you get into argument mode before and it is looking like, from the tone of your last post that you are posting in that vein again so I am going to let you run rampant if you like. I have done the best I can to explain how these two aspects of teaching the game works for you, but if you are listening for the purpose of arguing rather than listening for the purpose of understanding, nothing is going to get through to you even if we had Rinus Michels himself here to explain things to you.

tk421 and Hararea repped this.
  23. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    You s
    You see your last paragraph was uncalled for and you made it personal.you did not need to do that. You don't need to make people understand you by finishing it off with personal attacks. I thought you were above that to be honest. But what I do want to know is what is your coaching resume on the global scale? I think hugo is teaching his defenders to make them the best possible pro's. If the player gets more practice with playing in on the ground during game situations he will be more succesfull making it as a pro.our differemce in opinion comes down toit seems. Forcing vs being left alone at this stage. But I feel what we have to remember is that our players don't know how to play the right way, because they were the star of their odp team for years they made their own decisions but theses are your wrong choices and nobody is going to coach them the right way here in the US because they are the star on their local teams. Here at this moment in the US because of the lack of top level development the u-14-u-17 need to take on another role. Because this is the best trainning they are going to come across I think its important to make defenders understand that playing the ball out of the back without nerves will make you a more successfull pro than one continuing to allow players to make the same mistakes through their own free will. Now its also important we are talking about just one aspect of a defenders game. The feeling I get from your response is I'm talking about every position and every aspect of the game. I'm just talking about defenders and the way way they pass when they have the ballat their feet under pressure. We have no world class defenders who can play the ball out of the back. No defenders who play for any big team in the world. Something has to be tried for our players.

24. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Any agressive stance in my post had more to do with a 15 paragraph response being deleted by accident causing frustration. But that is irrelevant. What's relevant is that we have no defenderson world class clubs. Is this shocking? We have let our defenders make their own choices since they were small. But we do a poor job of teaching them how to be multi-dimensional because they don't have the skills required to be multi-dimensional. Remember if a player can't ever play it out of the back on the ground. His options are limited to begin with. His better choices are limited to begin with if he ever reaches the pro level.are players already know how to play a long ball oit of the back and also boot it. But theydont know how to play play it out of the back because nobody is instructing them to do it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that defenders can only make better choices if he has the tools to make those better choices.

25. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States