Two Division Format for 2015 ?

Discussion in 'NASL' started by cflsteve, Mar 2, 2014.

1. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    With 15 teams scheduled to hit the pitch for 2015 season will the NASL be looking to split into two regional divisions.

CENTRAL
    FCE
    MINN UNITED
    INDY
    OKC
    S.A.
    OTTAWA

EAST
    FT. LAUDERDALE
    TAMPA
    JAC ARMADA
    ATLANTA
    CAROLINA
    VIRGINIA
    NYC

3 games within your division and home and away outside your division for total of 29 games.
    Helps with travel coasts for clubs like FCE.

Issues still odd amount of games leaving some clubs with one less home game.

Solutions added one additional cross conference game for even 30 and even home and away games for all.

Solution pre season kick off at Disney ESPN complex. Organized NASL week where supporters and others
    could have a huge NASL season kick off party
    Problem odd amount of teams would leave one team not playing on a friday saturady, and sunday schdule of games.
    Solution. one of the Florida teams do not play at the Disney complex Tampa close enough to be part of the festivities surrounding the weekend. Tampa can then be awarded with an extra home game playing that Wed in Tampa vs a Central team like FCE which would eliminate another trip to the south for them.

Leaves each team with 14 home 14 away and one neutral game. Tampa exception gets on extra home game.

Not perfect but pretty good and gives the NASL a possible traditional league kick off event that could give the league a lot of publicity.
    Gives the NASL something special to seperate itself from the other leagues.

Any thoughts ???

2. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good analysis on this type of a setup, but I think it might be to soon to split into 2 division. The league will actually have 13 teams next year, but even that might not happen with the uncertainty of Virginia and OKC. If the league split into 2 division I think they should wait until they have at least 16 teams.

3. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    yea that is kinda a tweener number at 13 and two of those don't seem to be for sure yet. With movement in all three pro leagues it may take a season or two for the smoke to clear but still see solid franchises right now in the NASL which is a good sign for sure.

4. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I just want to see the NASL get away from the split-season schedule for 2015... I dont care if they split into an East-West or do a single table... just leave the season simple and single.

5. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Counting isn't your strong suit is it? Hey, you asked for thoughts and it is what came to mind :p

Not to mention that it will be a minor miracle if they actually field 13 teams, let alone 15.

NASL seems like single table kind of people, but who knows, they have also shown that they are willing to mix things up on the fly.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  6. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    :unsure:
    Thats fair assessment even it is 13 and not 15 scheduled for '15:oops:.
    the last three clubs in NYC Fall 2013, Ottawa and IDNY 2014 seem to be a very solid ownership foundation and Marketing plan.
    Cosmos are the Cosmos and NYC is NYC so the stadium issue is what it is but feel pretty confident that Belmont will happen. In the meantime playing in a less then ideal location still had solid attendance, support, and a TV presense via One World Sports and SNY. Bad location aside it is a soccer / Lacrosse pitch with 10K capacity.
    INDY fans wanted and have come through with season ticket sales. Also not a bad veneue with the renos.
    Ottawa Fury. OSEG has set up for a successful S&E group with Fury nasl, redblacks CFL, 67's OHL in a great reno project.

All the current teams are making positve strides in improving venues amking them better for soccer. Not perfect but better.

Actually an 11 team one table league in 2015 would give an even 30 game balanced schedule, I think. Can someone check my math:unsure:

7. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    if they play everyone three times.

8. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    exactly how else would you schedule a one table 11 team league???

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like they don't have a point of differentiation now?

Two.

1) The 2014 season hasn't even started yet. There is no need, nor does it enlighten, advance the discussion or have a basis in reality, to even have this conversation yet.
    2) You are the Canadian WSW, just without the 0.2 BAC.

HailtotheKing and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  10. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Antonio to Edmonton = 2,200 miles and a 7-8 hour flight.
    San Antonio to Ottawa = 1,971 miles and a 5-6 hour flight.
    San Antonio to Minnesota = 1,252 miles and a 3-5 hour flight.
    San Antonio to Indianapolis = 1,145 miles and a 3-4 hour flight.

Then there's Oklahoma City.

===========================

San Antonio to Ft Lauderdale = 1,360 miles and a 3-4 hour flight.
    San Antonio to Tampa = 1,176 and a 2-3 hour flight.
    San Antonio to Jacksonville = 1,066 miles and a 3-4 hour flight.
    San Antonio to Atlanta = 988 miles and a 2-3 hour flight.
    San Antonio to Carolina = 1,387 miles and a 4 hour flight.
    San Antonio to Virginia = 1,583 miles and a 3-4 hour flight.

*all distances are "quickest" driven routes

Why wouldn't you switch NY/VA with OK/SA in this set up ?

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or.....you could wait.

12. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't let that get in the way of my fun of poking obvious holes in obviously dumb ideas.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  13. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If you do not like please stick to the ignore button. I know I have