TV RATINGS: WCQ, MLS, EPL, Friendlies, GOLD Cup, ETC. PART III

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by stingbee30, Jul 24, 2013.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Bingo.
    All about the advertisers and making sure they know their money is still well spent with all the eyeballs watching.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, they don't want people to forget.
    And you do hear many people claiming the EPL is the most popular soccer league in the USA, Univision is making sure people know that is not accurate.

3. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Premier League smashed the million mark for number of viewers. It's not only the first time for NBCSN, but also in the calendar year 2014. Moreover, it's the second time in US cable TV history for a Premier League matchday to reach the seven digit number (the other is the Manchester City vs. Manchester United matchup on ESPN).

It's amazing.

More Than 1 Million Soccer Fans In US Watched NBCSN’s Coverage of Chelsea-Manchester United [January 22, 2014]
    http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/01/...tm_campaign=Feed:+EPLTalk+(World+Soccer+Talk)

stingbee30 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  4. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Especially the fact it was on NBCSN, and not NBC...

5. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Or a lot of Welshmen moved to the USA within the last few months. :p

owian repped this.
  7. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
    The USWNT's match against Canada on 1/31 was FS1's 6th highest program for that week with 249K viewers according to Son of the Bronx.

8. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    I really see a strong finish for EPL down the stretch during April and May....The approaching WC2014 will add more fuel to the fire...

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how many fans know and care about this, but any game between clubs from 10th to 20th is important in the battle to survive. With 10th place Swansea City only 4 points above the relegation zone, I'd say only 9 clubs are totally safe at about the two-thirds point of the season. In terms of points Swansea City is closer to 20th than to 9th. Over the last ten complete seasons, the average gap between 10th and 20th was 22.7 points with a range from 14 to 38 (I gave Portsmouth in 2009-2010 credit for the 28 points they earned on the field and ignored their point penalty). That gap is currently only 7 points.

10. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    True - but that Cardiff-Swansea rating was all about the Olympics. Audience probably spiked in the last 15 minutes with people tuning in for the Games.

11. To the Byline

To the Byline Member

Jan 27, 2014
    United States
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR

NBCSN's Wed. Arsenal-Man United game posts .49 overnight -- matching best weekday @PremierLeague overnight of season (Man U-Chelsea 8/26/13)

Too bad it was utter rubbish. It could've been a great showcase of the Premier League and the sport to the casual viewers who were tuning in for the Olympics.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It seems like most of these great matches that have been hyped up this season have ended 0-0.

(Sorry if I spoiled things for anyone but it is the day after so hopefully most of you have seen it already.)

13. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already, it's the 2nd time in this calendar year (2014) NBCSN delivered the seven digit viewership number for a Premier League matchday - a new record. Worldsoccertalk.com pointed out the major beneficiaries: The "2014 Winter Olympics" effect, the news story of the sacking of Michael Laudrup, and the lure of a major derby matchday, especially between Swansea City and Cardiff City (The Battle of Wales).

In all of this, it attracted hard core and casual soccer (football) fans as well as non-soccer fans in large numbers. It's an extraordinary that both Cardiff City and Swansea City don't have the global brand reach like Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, and Chelsea, yet the game drew high interest, which is awesome. In my opinion, a lot of credit goes to NBC and the Premier League for promotion and raising the the profile of each football club.

NBC Breaks Its Record After 1.2 Million Watch Swansea vs Cardiff On US TV
    http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/02/...-2-million-watch-swansea-vs-cardiff-on-us-tv/

14. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I really hate to keep poo-pooing the Cardiff-Swansea rating, but it really is all about the Olympics and next to nothing to do with the content of the Welsh rivalry. Sacking of Michael Laudrup? I can't see that pulling in any extra viewers over here. Their first derby fixture actually did poorly on NBCSN in November - and that match probably had more traction then because it was their first meeting in the Prem...

I would probably estimate that the match got a 500k boost just from people who left their TVs on expecting more Olympics coverage (that and the last 15 minute lead in boosting the average). And then they blasted NBC on Twitter for not showing more coverage from Sochi. Oh look...

https://twitter.com/search?q=olympics soccer nbc&src=typd

15. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Some more examples of Olympics inflation here --

http://sonofthebronx.blogspot.com/2014/02/nbc-sports-network-nbcsn-fox-sports-1_14.html

RANK PROGRAM DAY TIME DUR HH P2+(000)
    1 WINTER OLYMPICS-DAY Sun 6:00AM- 2:23PM 503 1.8 2887
    2 WINTER OLYMPICS-DAY Sat 6:00AM- 2:30PM 510 1.6 2585
    3 WINTER OLYMPICS-PM Sat 6:07PM- 8:00PM 113 1.0 1757
    4 WINTER OLYMPICS-PM Sun 4:20PM- 7:00PM 160 0.5 916
    5 PREMIER LEAGUE ENCORE Sat 2:30PM- 4:30PM 120 0.5 840
    6 PREMIER LEAGUE ENCORE Sun 2:23PM- 4:20PM 117 0.5 736

7 PREMIER LEAGUE (live) Mon 2:54PM- 5:01PM 127 0.4 600

Two replays getting a bigger audience than City-Chelsea?

Mucky repped this.
  16. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...ecords-on-fs1-and-fs2-also-olympics-on-nbcsn/

TJNash and Frankball repped this.
  17. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think that Crystal Palace - MUFC on NBC can beat the Wales derby ratings.

18. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    #243 stingbee30, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    We should be in the final stretch before the new TV contract is announced. Since the rumor of the new tv contract surfaced, MLS was able to announce the new Miami franchise and repurchase of Chivas USA. The two announcements raised the value of the MLS, and now we will are poised to see two vibrant teams in the LA market playing in different stadiums. I think the last piece of the puzzle will be the announcement of the Atlanta market. We could hear an announcement shortly before the official contract is signed.

It appears that MLS wanting to do some more housekeeping before they sign the dooted lines with their TV partners. MLS could ask for 6 year contract vs 8 year, and still with more money in their pocket. They might feel like they have the upper hand by building more value to their franchise model.

The Atlanta market will give MLS another Top 10 TV market (the only one missing), thus helping their contract negotiations. I would wait till I get this deal done as well because it will be another significant milestone for MLS.

In summary, I think MLS is almost done before we hear about the new TV contract. This could happen before the season starts, or later in March/April time-frame. The new TV contract could be shorter than previously announced, or it could be for 8 years, but with more dollars attached to the contract.

19. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Wasn't the league PAYING to be on TV up until about 2005 or so?

Crazy to think about the strides made in such a short time.

20. Mucky

Mucky Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Manchester England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    PREMIER LEAGUE ENJOYS ITS MOST-WATCHED MONTH IN U.S. HISTORY IN FEBRUARY ON NETWORKS OF NBCUNIVERSAL

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...s-history-in-february-on-nbcuniversal/241524/

"The 17 Premier League matches on NBC, NBCSN and USA Network averaged 609,000 viewers – a 76% jump from The League’s best U.S. month prior to NBC Sports Group’s August 2013 debut of Premier League coverage (346,000 in Sept. 2011 for 12 matches on Fox/Fox Soccer and ESPN2)."

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014...-of-premier-league-soccer-in-u-s-history.html

Frankball repped this.
  21. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    El Duderino, Mucky and Frankball repped this.
  22. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    NBCSN Posts Most Watched Premier League Sunday Doubleheader On Cable Ever

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ampaign=Feed:+Tvbythenumbers+(TVbytheNumbers)

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

stingbee30 and Frankball repped this.
  23. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    UniMás Airs the Number 1 Soccer Match of the Week

ARTICLE LINK

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

Frankball repped this.
  24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Interesting how catty Univision gets when they outperform NBC/Telemundo.

25. To the Byline

To the Byline Member

Jan 27, 2014
    United States
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yes, there are lots of Mexican Americans in this country.