TV Character Draft 2012

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by spejic, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Of course. Just ASU55RR then.

3. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Sorry for the delay, the draft wound up coinciding with a very busy stretch.

Pick #7 is:

Abed Nadir
    Community

[​IMG]

I have the day off on Thursday so I'll write my final thoughts and hopefully all of my 4 missing descriptions (plus list some honorable mentions).

My picks:
    Homer Simpson
    Prince Zuko
    Elim Garak
    Jimmy James
    Coach McGuirk
    Daria Morgendorffer
    Abed Nadir

4. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  5. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    No offense, but I found him increasingly hammy. The first two, maybe three series, sure - but after that he went downhill quite fast, imo. I can think of at least 3-4 characters on that show alone I would go with before Locke (and Lost is a programme I can gladly say I stuck with until the bitter end).
    Great call - I would go with George before Kramer on Seinfeld to be honest. Nothing necessarily against Kramer, but George was just so under-sung - kind of like a more prominent Moe Syzlak to Kramer's Homer. He was also considerably ahead of his time as a character in my opinion; those who you get to watch an episode of Seinfeld who have never seen it before much (granted, the resident American's won't be able to wrap their head around that concept, but...) tend to far prefer him to Kramer.

Bah, make that two! A real life Moe Syzlak.

Fatal flaw to making this a central basis to picking a character: I think of this line, I think of...

Uh oh! Fifteen minutes to Wapner!

...and other character. And a far bigger one.
    Being born in 1986, and having grown up with (I think?) 8-9pm runs of this on Sky One back in the early 90s, immediately after that novel-new-cartoon-show-featuring-yellow-people, and right before reruns of that-Vietnam-war-show-I-just-could-never-get-into (which iirc, later became Homicide; Highlander was on Fridays and I was allowed stay up for it, boom!) this show is a serious, serious part of my childhood. Tough call if I would've gone with Sam, but I did get a mighty kick out of Scott Bakula's resurgence in the likes of American Beauty, which came perfectly in line with that key time in everyone's life when the more 'grown up' movies just begin to ...make more sense... than they had previously.

Now had the draft been for intro music/montages, this pick alone would've given given you my vote. You saw the clouds and heard 'dun-dun-un-un-un-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN' and you KNEW you were in for a good hour!

But a stellar pick. I will be doing a 'make up' draft of my own as I am spitting blood having only seen this thread tonight (it was a draft I've floated ideas about for years, argh!) and had a feeling as good as all of the characters I would have picked (since Homer Simpson, et al were obviously gone) would be available. This is one of the only contenders gone...

Feck! (hint, hint-hint!)

An actual bona fide genius (IQ 267), Sam Beckett graduated high school at age 16, then went on to MIT and an eventual 7 doctoral degrees. He also won a Nobel Prize for... something. It doesn't matter what. What does matter is that he invented goddamn time travel.

Sam has the balls to test his Quantum Leap project on himself, and the mental fortitude to survive the resulting countless jumps into numerous different personas. Aside from his obvious intelligence, it's his compassion and ethics that ultimately allow him to right past wrongs and keep moving forward on his journey. For a super-genius, he's just a downright decent, relatable fellow.

Distinguishing features: Constantly changing appearance; typically accompanied by a holographic friend only visible to children, dogs and the mentally ill
    Special Skills: super intelligent, highly adaptable
    Catchphrase: "Oh boy"

Karloski it is your turn once more.[/quote]
    Oh, I'll be hated for it... but God I hated this show with a violent passion. Such an awkward attempt to 'get in with the disillusioned teens' from MTV that face-planted in that respect, but wound up being indulgent enough to get the 20-something Gen-X crowd.

It's a generational thing, but the success of this show and this character was, in my opinion, not at all as intended. Haven't seen it in at least a decade and maybe at 26 I would actually like it now if I did, but back on it's first run there was nothing as roundly hated as this show.

"Oh, I am sssssoooooooooo disaffected, distant and sarcastic. I am ssssoooo today's teenage-something". No. You're so ********ing boring, contrived, and painstakingly forced and shoe-horned into being so.
    Fixed that one up nicely for you.

The worst high-profile show to not be universally recognised as trashy and/or awful in the last decade.
    Getting back on this topic for a moment, I am blown away that this character, nor either of Sagal's whiny-toned redhead, or purple-haired cyclops alternatives, were chosen.

[​IMG]

Keema Greggs also deserved a mention from The Wire, The AbFab girls, Carmella Soprano (what an evil bitch she became), and thought I never got into it, Kim Catrell's character on SitC was supposed to slam the walls down in terms of indulgent female sexuality for the sake of enjoyment on screen.

6. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    No one from Firefly? Surprised

7. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show as too short IMO. Not enough time to develop the characters.

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't disagree more. Some of the most memorable characters ever on that show.

9. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm with Felixx219. It was the movie that rounded out the characters and the movie can't be counted in the draft.

10. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think any of them were memorable. I enjoyed the show but I cannot even name any of he characters names and I only watched it a year ago.

11. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cosplayers feel differently.

12. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I, like Felixx, just do not get the Firefly love. After the TV episode draft, I watched all of Firefly and Serenity. I loved the movie, how it tied up all the loose ends and yet still went somewhere.

But the show puzzles me. I get the whole space - cowboy conceit. In fact, the notion of scarce resources, truly scarce, is a welcome addition to sci fi canon, and Whedon did a great job with it. But to compare the show's characters, or plot, or imagining of the future, with say the character development and story lines in the first 13 episodes of Farscape or Battlestar Gallactica, I don't find it to be any better. Or memorable.

13. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, things strike different people differently. There are matters of personal taste. But among sci fi fans at least, I believe that opinion is in the minority. In just a few episodes Whedon created a world that was distinctive, imaginative and felt complete. Not to suggest that BSG or Farscape didn't do similar things. But you just don't see people dressed up as BSG or Farscape characters at cons, at least not very often. People adore the Firefly characters. They feel like they know them, or wish they could. They had depth, charm, humor, inner demons, damage from their pasts, quirks, flaws, strengths and weaknesses... everything that makes lively, likeable, memorable characters. In my opinion. :)