TV Character Draft 2012

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by spejic, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    You're right about Spock, that is a massive brainfart on my part, especially considering he went n°1.

I'm not sure that TV characters are better as a rule nowadays. I would agree that the protagonists in quality TV dramas tend to be more complex than 30 years ago, but in terms of sitcoms I actually think we've regressed in characterization, not counting a few exceptions.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Another great pick.
    Thinking about the Simpsons now makes me a little sad, kind of like seeing an overweight Ronaldo play at the 2006 World Cup. Anything or anyone that achieves true transcendent greatness should have the wisdom to call it quits long before they become a poor facsimile of their former selves.

3. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to take a little turn with my draft with my next selection:

Dexter Morgan - Dexter

[​IMG]

I could write an entire essay on Dexter but I will spare you the boredom. A stark contrast from my first two selections but necessary for this draft, I believe. What I love about Dexter's character is that we get a constant narrative throughout the show as a window to his mind since he wears a mask to those around him. Dexter is able to maintain a charade as a caring father, at one point a husband, a brother, a co-worker, and overall good citizen all while being one of the world's most successful serial killers. The big question is whether it is all really a charade, at times Dexter shows signs of caring for those around him while claiming to be empty. Michael C. Hall has done one of the better acting jobs in television with his role as Dexter really owning the role and making it his own.

Forgot to add my videos:

Dexter attempting to act normal:

Dexter working at his night job:

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

Dukat
    From Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

The first time you see Dukat he is charming and smooth and larger than life and has a smile so insincere it makes you want to take a shower. Once the Cardassian in charge of the occupation of Bajor, Dukat became a fleet captain in charge of making things difficult for DS9. Then his world is thrown upside down by two events - the discovery of a daughter he never knew he had and the invasion of Cardassian space by the Klingons. Losing his family and honor and gaining a belly full of bile, he begins a one-man war against the Klingons. Dukat becomes noble and selfless. For a while.

But he can't do it alone, so he makes the fateful decision to align with the Dominion. Cardassia is resurgent, the Klingons are ejected, and Deep Space Nine is taken. Dukat returns to his bombastic self - until his daughter is killed. Dukat's mind breaks, and he develops a religious devotion towards the extermination of those he holds responsible. And it leads to his doom.

Demosthenes repped this.
  5. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have got to be kidding me. With the entire goddamn field of all TV characters of all time on the table, I did not think anyone would snake my picks. Screw you. :p

Ombak and Dills repped this.
  6. WingsFan

WingsFan Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Suburban Wichita
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a question for everyone participating. Would you mind if I posted up a list of seven unselected characters right after your draft.

I didn't sign up to draft, because I'm not on here near as much as I used to be. I didn't want to hold up the draft proceedings with people waiting on me to make my pick.

There is such a huge number of tv characters that I'm pretty sure that I could come up with a pretty good selection even if I picked after everyone selected their team.

And kudos to the Garak pick. He's my favorite character from any of the Star Trek series.

7. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There will be a separate voting thread, and anyone can make any comment they wish, as well as vote on the participants.

8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I have to say, I was worried that it'd be you (or spejic) swiping my Sci-Fi pics, including Garak. I didn't have any inkling that ASU would take one and frankly I thought I'd be able to wait until later for him. I don't know if I picked Baltar too early, but last night it felt like I had to pull the trigger on him now or else...

Speaking of Garak, I had the same scene in mind as ASU did to represent him. Here's the clip I had lined up:

9. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty standard for honorable mentions to be listed by both particpants and non-participants, just make sure all selections are in before you do so.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here comes my round three pick - Frank Pembleton.

[​IMG]

Iconic character from the ever-unappreciated Homicide: Life on the Streets.

One of the things I liked about the program was the distinct characteristics given to people of color - Al Giaradello as of Sicilian heritage and Frank Pembleton as a Catholic, not played for laughs but as part of the complex characters they were. This is still rare, 20 years later. And I would pick Pembleton if only for this moment in a story where his Catholicism mattered, when the unit was preparing for and then having Crosetti's funeral. This moment makes me emotional to watch all these years later.

fischerw repped this.
  11. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Through 3 rounds:

Demosthenes
    Spock (Star Trek TOS)
    Walter White (Breaking Bad)
    Dana Scully (The X-Files)

Karloski
    Cosmo Kramer (Seinfeld)
    Bender Bending Rodriguez (Futurama)
    Dr Richard Solomon (3rd Rock from the Sun)

ASU55RR
    Homer Simpson (The Simpsons)
    Prince Zuko (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
    Elim Garak (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Matrim55
    Al Swearengen (Deadwood)
    Sam Malone (Cheers)
    Moe Syzlak (The Simpsons)

Ombak
    Eric Cartman (South Park)
    Tony Soprano (The Sopranos)
    Dr. Gaius Baltar (Battlestar Galactica)

Felixx219
    Eric Taylor (Friday Night Lights)
    Cliff Huxtable (The Cosby Show)
    Dexter Morgan (Dexter)

spejic
    Faith (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel)
    Londo Mollari (Babylon 5)
    Dukat (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Ismitje
    Stephen Colbert (The Colbert Report, The Daily Show)
    Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
    Frank Pembleton (Homicide: Life on the Streets)

12. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My turn again already?

First, my write-up for Dana Scully:

One time, many years ago, I was at a bar in San Francisco called the Pig and Whistle. One of the people in my party -- a friend of a friend whom I'd just met -- explained to everyone that the name "Pig and Whistle" comes from an old English pub tradition. The large drinking vessels they used in medieval England were colloquially referred to as "pigs," and when a pub patron needed a refill he would whistle for service. Hence the popular pub name Pig and Whistle, according to this person.

I responded by saying that the explanation sounded apocryphal to me. Nobody in my party knew what that meant. "It sounds like a folk etymology," I elucidated. "A made-up origin for a word or phrase." I admitted that I didn't know for certain, but the pig and whistle story sure had the ring of folk etymology.

The story teller was obviously impressed by me. "Who are you, Dana Scully?" he asked.

13. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Round 4 Pick:

[​IMG]
    Beaker
    from The Muppet Show

From Wikipedia:
    "Beaker is a Muppet character from The Muppet Show. He is the shy, long-suffering assistant of Dr. Bunsen Honeydew... Beaker is a magnet for misfortune; his appearances typically involve him being blown up, electrocuted, eaten by large monsters, or losing body parts. Beaker communicates in a nervous, high-pitched squeak that sounds like 'Mee-mee-mee mee'."

We laugh at Beaker's perpetual abuse, even as we sympathize and identify with his helplessness. Even though he can't speak English or any language most of us understand, somehow he manages to communicate exactly what he's feeling through his endearing "meeps." He is an innocent, and so he must suffer.

Distinguishing features: Puff of orange hair, bulging eyes, drawbridge mouth
    Catchphrase: Meemeemeep
    Special Skills: Haplessness

Karloski go!

Ombak repped this.
  14. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]
    Nathan Young
    Misfits

Nathan is cocky, arrogant and likes the sound of his own voice....and with his quick witted sarcasm and filthy banter he is the comedic pivot of Misfits.

I loved the first two seasons of Misfits, and though I don't believe he was meant to be the stand out star..Nathan quickly became the central character for most, and made what was a very good original show, into a great one.

NSFW

@ASU55RR your pick.

15. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realized today that we could have done a TV show cast draft as well although it may have had to many parallels to the TV show draft.

16. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Selection #4:

Jimmy James - Capitalist Lion Tamer
    Newsradio

[​IMG]

----------------------------

Full description to follow (tomorrow).

Matrim55, you're up.

Belgian guy and Ismitje repped this.
  17. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Round 4...

Guinan
    Star Trek: TNG

[​IMG]

The proprietress at Ten-Forward, Guinan was the bartender of your dreams. She always had a willing ear and offered good advice, and she was even willing to rage against the bureaucracy a little bit by keeping alcohol behind the counter (against Starfleet regs, of course).

She's also somehow able to battle Q - at least it's implied that she does, and he certainly treats her as more of a threat than he does humans - and has beaten Worf on the phaser range. She hates the Borg, but isn't so blinded by it that she's genocidal.

She is awesome.

Ombak you're up

18. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not to mention a battle rifle from Magus III.

I liked her best in the Data on trial episode, the Hugh the Borg episode, and the Ensign Ro episode. She had some serious verbal jujitsu. She could make you change your mind without you realizing it happened.

19. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A little past my window so if ASU happens to post while I do I take it he'll get the pick (if it overlaps).

I'm going to go with:

George Costanza
    Seinfeld

And here's the clip I chose for this pick:

Felixx219 is up, I pinged him about 45-50mins after I posted.

Ismitje repped this.
  20. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wont be able to get to my pick until this evening.

21. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    You guys are a bunch of sci-fi dorks. That is all. :)

kcscsupporter repped this.
  22. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My fourth selection:

John Locke - LOST

[​IMG]

Locke was not my favorite character on LOST but I think he is the most well-developed and most interesting of them. Locke boarded the plane stuck to the wheelchair and seeking to go on an adventure and little did her know, he would come to an island able to walk and have the adventure of his life. Locke was the man of the group who first began to realize that the island was more than it seemed and pushed the group to get involved in the spirtual aspects of the island. Without Locke, LOST would not have been nearly as interesting and he may have very well made the show what it was. It doesnt hurt that the terrific Terry O'Quinn took the character of Locke and made him what he was.

23. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

Wesley Wyndam-Pryce
    from Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Wesley starts as an awkward and controlled man who is a bit too confident in his rules and theoretical knowledge. His ridged, inexperienced thinking drives both slayers away and gets him fired. Destitute and desperate, he takes in with a former enemy and slowly develops skill and confidence. Then he makes a terrible mistake and destroys his hard-earned friendships. He continues the mission alone with a grim and detached attitude, trading in an unrequited love for a pained sexual relationship with a defender of evil. Circumstances force him back with the team, but he is neither trusting nor trusted. His relationship with his overbearing father undergoes a trauma, his memory is manipulated and he is forced to relive his moment of betrayal, both his loves are murdered horribly, and then he is killed.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    {I would like to thank the immortal Abbott and Costello for the assist in describing my next pick}

Abbott: Well, let's see, we have on the bags, Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third...
    Costello: That's what I want to find out.
    Abbott: I say Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know's on third.
    Costello: Are you the manager?
    Abbott: Yes.
    Costello: You gonna be the coach too?
    Costello: And you don't know the fellows' names?
    Abbott: Well I should.
    Costello: Well then who's on first?

[​IMG]

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costello: I mean the fellow's name.
    Abbott: Who.
    Costello: The guy on first.
    Costello: The first baseman.
    Costello: The guy playing...
    Abbott: Who is on first!
    Costello: I'm asking YOU who's on first.
    Abbott: That's the man's name.
    Costello: That's who's name?

[​IMG]