Tuscon Diamond Cup (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's a similar reason why people rant and rave about how all US soccer fans should support the women's national team. I don't give a crap about women's soccer, and I'm not going to pretend to "for the good of the game."

2. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's weird. In the Europe, you always kinda/sorta root for the other teams in your league, even your heated rivals, in Euro competition. The performance of your domestic peers effect UEFA coefficients, and thus you.

3. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It doesn't effect our coefficient though, so there is no benefit.

4. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mexico losing is benefit enough for me.

Aside from that, any MLS team winning the CCL will help recruit better talent to the league as a whole.

5. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It helps our league. If MLS teams can consistently beat Mexican teams, then we'll be perceived as a better league.

6. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Who cares about perception? We don't lose players to Mexico because of perception. We lose them because of money.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, I support MLS teams currently in the CCL. That might change a few years down the road, once a MLS team has won it, but for now, I would like to see that perception that MLS isn't as good as the MFL get a bit quieter. I would like my personal feeling that the MFL is better (amongst the best teams in the two leagues) than MLS to change. I understand that's just me, and that's fine.

8. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm not quite sure why you're trolling here or why you're so upset. He called you guys the New York Yankees of MLS, which you surely are. And even as a Red Sox fan, I'd still take that as a major complement. Clearly all Rev fans would love for our ownership to show the same commitment to this team as AEG has shown to the Galaxy. No one questioned whether LA is breaking rules, receiving preferential treatment, or disregarding guideliness. No one has any "beef" at all, so coming on here and getting all defensive is pretty unneccessary and makes you look petty and insecure.

I don't want to have this debate take over this thread as well, but clearly the majority of MLS fans would prefer to see an MLS team win the CCL. It's good for the growth of the league. As another poster mentioned, fans in most European countries support other domestic teams in the CL when they're team crashes out.

I don't think it's the same at all. Women's soccer and men's soccer are two entirely different products, and in turn, not really the same game

9. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Perception improves your viewership. Perception improves your attendance. Perception increases the value of your advertising and promotions. That'll make you money.

Aside from that, you're probably making a better long-term investment in your career to play on a better team in a better league. It will open more lucrative doors for you.

10. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Perception only improves viewership, attendance, advertising revenue etc...if the perception is changed to warrant that. Winning the CCL and beating a Mexican team isn't going to do that. Spending more money on high caliber players and improving the overall gameday experience for fans will.

11. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trolling meh?
    I came on this thread to read reaction from the opposing fans on what they may or may not have seen (if anything) regarding the galaxy.

And my comment was more so feeling that the Revs have everything but the backing by the FO (I believe) and that it pisses me off cause the Revs should be thriving. or at least I feel your supporters deserve that.

I just think the Yankees comment is funny ( I get it). In MLB there is no cap. In MLS there is a cap and a DP rule. Why teams choose to not spend on DP's to raise the profile of their club is beyond me. Checketts @ RSL is a tight wad, fine. But Kraft? He could be doing much more...

12. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly how I approach it as well.

Outside of everything you said that I agree with I also get more enjoyment out of a game if I have some one to root for.

I don't hate any MLS team enough to root against them. Most of that comes from being a fan of the league first, before being a fan of any team, even if I was one of the 12 or so people who sat with Brian O'Donovan before the Revs had signed even a single player back in 1995 to hammer out supporter issues.

13. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He can't be doing any less. That is the Revs motto "Set expectations at the floor so fans will never feel let down."

14. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a goal by Feilhaber.

How did Sene look? I didnt catch the game, but I was very curious how he played.

15. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    He pressured well, won a couple balls back in dangerous spots. One of which he should've finished, but it was deflected off the crossbar. It was impossible to judge his off ball movement though with the camera angle being so low. He seemed to have a pretty nice touch.

16. MidnightMackemRider

MidnightMackemRider New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Boston Area
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to catch the highlights, but I was unable to watch the game live because I was at work. Was anyone was able to record the stream?

Overall, pleasantly surprised. I was worried for Rowe because I felt that he could be capable of starting in a CAM role, but from highlights and all I've read apparently he was decent on the wing.

Still extremely worried about defenders and strikers.

17. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I for one, am already sold on Rowe and Sene, looks like a missing piece we need. He did flub a few things but I was impressed with his guile and he basically had a breakaway that he should have scored on. He could work out.

18. sputnikorbust

sputnikorbust Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, if we are looking at a 5-man midfield of Simms, SJ, Benny, Rowe and someone else with Sene as the lone forward... i could see that being pretty decent

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Jeff Lemieux ‏
    Following up on Alston (calf) and Soares (knee) precautionary absences last night, both trained today.

Good news, sounds like they should both be available on Saturday.

21. owain

owain Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Why do the highlights looks so much better than he live stream?

22. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sample size

23. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im going to bet that the highlights are not throttled by bandwidth restrictions placed on live streaming events.

24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like to find out why Cruise did not play

25. UnionFreak1