Turf Cleats worth it?

Discussion in 'Player' started by phoenixhazard, May 15, 2013.

1. strikerbrian

strikerbrian Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Queensbury, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wear Mundials as well, indoor. Best indoor sho I have ever worn. Also have lasted the longest.

Melting snow and ice and spring mud are kinda the natural state of things where I live. Fields don't really dry out until sometime in June. And then by the end of the fall season the snow is falling again. Craziness is a requirement sometimes I think.

2. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely get some turfs.

I was playing pickup last summer on a local turf field. And I accidentally grabbed my cleats instead of my turfs and every time I cut (which obviously happens constantly), it felt awkward. I only ended up playing at half speed because it felt so vulnerable. You probably don't want to be playing at half speed.... certainly your teammates don't.

3. anobles10

anobles10 New Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Rome, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to play and referee in Adidas turfs, but I started getting terrible shin splints while wearing them. I was treating them with ice and rest and everything, but it wasn't helping. When I switched back to cleats for both refereeing and playing, the shin splints began to go away with the treatment.

4. Laird Harrison

Laird Harrison New Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Some research shows that the risk of injury is lower with shoes made for artificial turf when playing on that surface. But overall injuries on the newer generation artificial turf surfaces are about the same as on grass.

5. Vulpine

Vulpine New Member

Mar 18, 2016
    USA
    NEVER wear Blades on Turf. This my friends, is a classic example, (at roughly 1:30, you will see the Bladed boot 'catch' on the Turf) :

Conical Studs are also dangerous on Turf. They can catch the same way. Wear a Turf Shoe, or an AG soleplate. If all you have is Flats, then play in those. Do not risk it. It is not worth it.

I remember the Totti injury like it was yesterday. Totti was wearing the Diadora Totti 10 Pro's, on a Turf pitch (Bladed soleplate). (Those shoes were the predecessor, to the popular Diadora Maracana RTX 12). I too witnessed a man's ankle snapping, just like that. 5 feet away from me. He was wearing Blades on Turf, in a soccer game. Got caught in an awkward turn, going for a loose ball, then SNAP! Broken ankle. (He had to get metal rods in during surgery). Don't say I didn't warn ya.

6. JenniferRipley

JenniferRipley New Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Club:
    AC Milan
    HI, I just want to know if there is suitable lighting fixture for basketball court
    Does core, universe LED flood light helps?

7. dethfire

dethfire Member

Jun 24, 2005
    I think it depends on the turf. I've played on turf for 10 years 3 times a week where most people wear outdoor cleats and never seen a injury due to cleats on turf. Flats are way too slippery on lush turf and soft stud turf shoes don't give you the traction.

8. Vulpine

Vulpine New Member

Mar 18, 2016
    USA
    Interesting. That is very different from what I have seen. Have seen multiple ACL injuries. These people were wearing Blades, on turf, each time. Not every Turf field is the same, that is true.

When I wear my Adidas Mundial Team Turf shoes, they provide the best amount of grip for turf. They feel extremely stable. In their element. There is no risk of them catching on the surface either. My pair of Mizuno Morelia Neo AS (Artificial Surface), are a little less aggressive. But basically provide the same amount of grip. High heat or rain, they perform well. No slips, or catches. They were engineered for turf, and the application works well in reality. Too much grip on turf is not a good thing, it can be a very dangerous surface. There is no "give" like natural grass.

9. TedBundo

TedBundo New Member

Revolution
    United States
    May 3, 2017
    We spoke with a soccer field construction company when we were thinking about getting a new soccer field at one of our parks. He recommended going with the flat turf shoes. There is really no need for regular soccer cleats.

10. Paczek_Villa

Paczek_Villa Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Club:
    KP Legia Warszawa
    I use turf shoes, the ones with the small rubber protrusions for a lack of a better word. I recently got injured playing on turf while wearing turf shoes so I stopped playing on it completely after several injuries over the years. Playing on turf constantly is a killer on your body (hips, knees, ankles) no matter what shoes you wear.

11. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    I bought turf cleats but I never felt comfortable in them. I got injured twice with grass cleats on turf so I think I'm going to transition to turf shoes.

12. tothetop

tothetop New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    This is an important topic more now than ever. Like grass, not all turf is created equal. I was afraid of wearing cleats on turf for years due to them getting caught and leading to a knee injury, but my ability to cut and change directions was hampered since traction in turf shoes is worse on most turf. Some turf without the rubber pebbles gets wet and then no matter what people are slipping. There are turf shoes with low cleats which are hard to find but good, otherwise I sand down my cleats to low to find the safest option that still keeps performance up.

13. tothetop

tothetop New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Slipping can lead to injuries as well, not just getting the cleat caught in the turf.

14. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I just bought turf cleats, Nike Tiempo. I don't play on turf now, just bought them because it was a good deal and they were comfy and some guys use turf shoes on grass. I tried it, but I prefer grass cleats on grass because of more agressive traction. I think it depends on the style you play. If you are an aggressive runner then cleats are best. But if you use you sole a lot and want maximum ball control in tighter spaces, then probably turf shoes are best (regardless of surface).

15. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I always owned 4 types of shoes (to cover all types of weather and all types of fields), but actually wore turfs about 90% of the time. The flats were strictly for indoors. The molded and cleats were for the rare good grass fields and bad weather. I preferred kangaroo leather uppers for their control in all weather conditions.

16. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I also have various choices for turf ranging from sambas for old school turf to the ones with 50 or more little pellets on the soles to the ones that are for artificial grass that have 12-15 studs on the sole. It doesn't make sense to use the wrong footware, because it impacts traction; there is no way I can wear regular soccer cleats on astroturf.

rca2 repped this.